Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 03:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft x46 2014 6.2l
Mastercraft X46 rear ballast crack

Hello

my starboard rear ballast developed a leak
the leak is coming from the original welding at the top rear side of the hard tank.
It is frustrating because you can see it but still very difficult to access for welding. I manage to do a first repair but unfortunately, it still leaks (I used a dremel small gas torch with a modified tip and after checking the temperature was about right or about 300 deg Celsuis)

since then I ordered an electric welding iron made for plastic welding, so i will try again to weld

1/did anyone experience the same issue? how was it sorted?

2/can I remove the hard ballast tank from a X46 without separating the hull

3/what about cutting the tank to pieces and replacing it with a soft bag?

thank you for your help

Fred

Last edited by fr3d; 08-21-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 x46 7.4
My X46 Tanks Did The Same Thing Are Covered Under Warranty For The Time Being I Used 3m 5200 Fast Cure For The Rest Of Summer Dealer Will Replace Early Spring Must Split Hull
Old 08-21-2017, 06:25 PM
MC Addict

Boat: no Boat
Warranty
Its a RAZOR cut most likely. from carpet fitting at factory

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Old 08-21-2017, 08:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
Buddy with '14 X46 had his replaced under warranty, had to split hull like Blakey above. Norcal MC did his, but others may be sent to MC HQ if stateside. Not sure of your options in Europe?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
You can try to plastic weld it, however this is really hard with the tank in the boat. The tank is HDPE, so make sure you get the correct welding rods. I purchased a welder from harbor freight & the HDPE rods from Grainger.

I was not 100% successful with the weld as I still had pin whole leaks. Also, I never found anything to really bond well to HDPE, 3M 5200, Flex Seal, etc, it all sticks initially, covered the pin holes, but just peals right off if you rub it. I was not happy with the fix for the long run & was able to get the starboard side tank out via the coffin & replaced it.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:51 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft x46 2014 6.2l
Arrow update

the starboard ballast tank devollped the same crack.

mastercraft took the 2 tanks under waranty but I will have to pay for labor. hull was open and they replace both rear tanks.

the tanks are slightly different (they looks longer) they had to relocated the ballast pump on the rear side panel, which is a better position in my opinion to rplace the impeller.

while the hull was split open they told me some adjustment needed to be done in the bow, there is an aluminium part that somehow hold the boat together, some screew were broken. it explains why suddenly the door and the windshield door where not closing properly.

everything looks fine now....now waiting for the bill.

ps: my boat is now more than 500 hours but the first crack developped before I reached 500 hours
I assume this is why mastercraft offerd the parts. I use the boat on the geneva lake and dont experiece massive waves so i'm not sure why some screew were broken on this adjustment part.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:23 AM
MC Addict

Boat: no Boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3d View Post
the starboard ballast tank devollped the same crack.

mastercraft took the 2 tanks under waranty but I will have to pay for labor. hull was open and they replace both rear tanks.

the tanks are slightly different (they looks longer) they had to relocated the ballast pump on the rear side panel, which is a better position in my opinion to rplace the impeller.

while the hull was split open they told me some adjustment needed to be done in the bow, there is an aluminium part that somehow hold the boat together, some screew were broken. it explains why suddenly the door and the windshield door where not closing properly.

everything looks fine now....now waiting for the bill.

ps: my boat is now more than 500 hours but the first crack developped before I reached 500 hours
I assume this is why mastercraft offerd the parts. I use the boat on the geneva lake and dont experiece massive waves so i'm not sure why some screew were broken on this adjustment part.
I had the Same problem with the bow walk through window
It was a service bulletin, they gave me the parts kit and instructions, I was able to fix it myself
Saved me 2 weeks without boat during busy season

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Old 06-16-2019, 06:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2019 XStar
My 2014 X46 did the same thing. The dealer told me it was from the carpet installer and the way he scored the tanks with his knife. It only affected X46's manufactured during a certain time frame. My dealer replaced the tanks under warranty last fall. They were able to accomplish this without splitting the deck, they removed the engine instead and removed the hard tanks thru the engine compartment.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '14 X30 6.2L, '96 SkiRay Tournament(sold)
My '14 X30 started leaking from port side tank. They were able to pull it out by taking it all the way to the front. It was a split in the seam. MC told them to go ahead and replace both under warranty but there was no way to pull the starboard tank without splitting the boat or pulling the engine. I declined that repair. After I inspected the work I saw where the mechanic had to rip the front bracket loose from the tank because he couldn't get to the screws, and couldn't reinstall it. Back bracket was not right either. I managed to get the front bracket out from between the tank and hull, straightened it and got it properly reattached. Tough job. Decided if the starboard or front tank fails, I will cut them out and replace with bags or custom tank of some sort. Good luck!

Tags
ballast, cracked, leak, x46