• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tookeymonster
    MC Devotee
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by BigKidatHeart View Post
    For a short boat the wake is surprisingly ride-able way back. The pics are screenshots from an iphone video, so they are not very good quality.
    I still get the perspective. Yep, I'm so surprised on how far back I can surf. FYI when I was with the sales manager up here we ran at 30% surf right and kicked it up to 12.8 to 13 mph and he was surfing with ease at over 35'. We had a 35' rope and unhooked it and held it at the back of the boat and he was passed it, no lead and two 240lb men in the boat.

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
      MC Devotee
      • Mar 2017

Regarding maneuverability, Malibu offers a thruster to push the stern in low speed situations though I don’t know if it works both left and right.

MC has DockStar which allows you to back up in any direction fairly predictably. Is it like driving an outboard, no but it gives you more options in tight spaces than boats without it. And it gives all the drivers in your group more confidence. I’m a big fan.

One thing I never see people talk about is leveling the boat while underway in non-surfing situations. Whether it’s for a skier, wakeboarder or just cruising, I hate telling people to move around the boat. Instead, I just reach over to the control panel and adjust either the left or right Gen2 tab until the boat is level or the wake is even.

I don’t believe the Malibu or Nautique surf systems allow you to adjust the hull’s side to side lean.

I will give Malibu props for having a “docking” mode which prevents you from accidentally gunning it at the ramp or dock. Very nice for novice drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• barneyferd
        TT Enthusiast
        • Aug 2019

I had the dual screen in my XT22, then went with single screen on my X22. I don't feel that I've lost any of the core functionality of the dual screen that I used the vast majority of the time.

We do all our boating on our 330 Acre lake, so the map was not much more than a gimmick for me. The backup camera was okay, but would be so much more useful if it actually had video/frame grab capability. We really didn't use it much. GoPro integration, at least on the version of software in play for my 2018, was flaky at best, useless at worst. I'm using my GoPro with my phone, and it is far more reliable and easy to use.

Conversely, the stereo control works effectively the same (which isn't great - hoping the new single screen software is somehow better), and the surf settings are effectively the same, albeit with a little different interface (again, hoping the new software cleans some things up).

Bottom line for me - I don't regret my decision at all. I like the gauges, I like the simplicity of the single screen. And should the time come that I decide to dump the Klipsch system for a Fusion HU, there is a natural spot for it under the screen.
        Jerry

2020 X22
        2018 XT22
        2014 Aqua Patio
        2003 Malibu Response LXi
        2001 Malibu Sunsetter
        1978 Ski Supreme

Comment

• SteveO
          MC Maniac
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
          The dual screen gets you several things - back up camera and navigation come to mind plus a customizable arrangement of digital gauges. The single 7” screen is very liveable but no camera or navigation and manual gauges (which some people still like).

I have spent quality time on an LSV25 as well as the big daddy M240. Both are very nice boats and put up great waves. As nice as they are, both owners have climbed into my XT22 and said “wow, this SO nice inside!” The Malibu interiors - IMO - are super busy visually. I just feel a sense of calm getting back in my boat.

A big part of that sense of calm has to do with the difference in towers - specifically where the speakers are located. The ZFT towers hang the tower speakers right over the rear storage areas. Conversely, the Bu tower angles forward which places the giant WetSounds speakers right on top of the main cabin passengers. The surfer enjoys plentiful tunes but as a passenger, you’re just assaulted by the high pitch of the REV10s.

After a few riders, I have a splitting headache.

I’ll let actual X22 owners chime in on the additional weight question.

Ranger, Which model is the LSV on the left? It is interesting to see the depths of all 3 from that perspective.
          2017 NXT22, 2015 NXT20, 2007 X2, 2002 209

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
            MC Devotee
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
            Ranger, Which model is the LSV on the left? It is interesting to see the depths of all 3 from that perspective.

That’s a 23 in the photo. The LSV25 I go out on is not in the photo but it’s a 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• moosehead
              MC Maniac
              • May 2015

Jeebus, what is all that hardware hanging off the m240 transom? Looks like a shrimp trawler, blood included on the screws.

Comment

• MC25
                MC Master Poster
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by moosehead View Post
                Jeebus, what is all that hardware hanging off the m240 transom? Looks like a shrimp trawler, blood included on the screws.
                Rear thruster, wedge, surf pipe, and surf gates. A lot. Lol
                Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                For Sale:
                2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• XT21LakeAnna
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Apr 2015

No don't need to upgrade engine, the 6.2 is enough. One more thing I didn't like about the small screen is having to jump back and forth when using stereo controls.

Comment

• LBJAL
                    TT Regular
                    • May 2020

Regularly surf my friend’s 2019 LSV25 and we have a 2020 X22. Our boat is much more comfortable and quieter. Seems to handle rough water better as well. Fit and finish also much better on the X22. His wave is bigger, but I don’t know that the shape or push is any better. The controls/screens are
                    More functional on the Bu, but they do freeze up from time to time, which has never happened to ours (don’t jinx me). We do tend to surf his more than mine, as his whole family surfs and my kiddos still
                    aren’t quite there yet.

Comment

• tex599
                      TT Enthusiast
                      • Jun 2011

Thanks, I do agree that the fit and finish is better on MC and it's not near as busy as the Malibu. Malibu does do a really good job with their screen and controls, the layout makes sense. Mine does freeze up sometimes, nothing more than shutting it down and rebooting it. They switched to a new operating system and new screens in 2020, which boots up in half the time. The 2021 25LSV we lake tested on Saturday with the M6 motor was super quiet compared to my Indmar powered 2018 Malibu. I am curious how quiet the MC is when we lake test later this week.

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
                        MC Devotee
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                        Rear thruster, wedge, surf pipe, and surf gates. A lot. Lol

Comment

• BigKidatHeart
                          TT Newbie
                          • Jan 2020

Originally posted by barneyferd View Post
                          I had the dual screen in my XT22, then went with single screen on my X22. I don't feel that I've lost any of the core functionality of the dual screen that I used the vast majority of the time.

We do all our boating on our 330 Acre lake, so the map was not much more than a gimmick for me. The backup camera was okay, but would be so much more useful if it actually had video/frame grab capability. We really didn't use it much. GoPro integration, at least on the version of software in play for my 2018, was flaky at best, useless at worst. I'm using my GoPro with my phone, and it is far more reliable and easy to use.

Conversely, the stereo control works effectively the same (which isn't great - hoping the new single screen software is somehow better), and the surf settings are effectively the same, albeit with a little different interface (again, hoping the new software cleans some things up).

Bottom line for me - I don't regret my decision at all. I like the gauges, I like the simplicity of the single screen. And should the time come that I decide to dump the Klipsch system for a Fusion HU, there is a natural spot for it under the screen.
                          I agree with you on all points. I only use the gauges on the top screen, and manual gauges would now be my preference after having the dual screen. I had the same x-star for 20 years and prefer the look of the manual gauges on the dash. I think the trend is more screens though and would likely help on resell. My lake is 36,000 acres and I never use the nav screen. I use this boat to surf and wakeboard period and have 4 spots I hit depending on wind direction and lake traffic. I bowfish at night in a pontoon and use the nav system extensively, but for me the nav system is unnecessary during the day in a surf boat. My boat was a 2019 demo boat, and came with Dockstar. I wish I did not have this upgrade It does not respond like an outboard or I/O, and depending on wind or current can have zero effect when reversing. I prefer the reliability of knowing when I backup I can control if I turn right a little or a lot. With Dockstar I just cross my fingers and hope it works, and get prepared for it not to work 1 out of 5 times. MC needs to ditch Dockstar and go with thrusters.

Comment

• barneyferd
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Aug 2019

I had Dockstar on my XT22, didn't think it was worth it, so skipped it on my X22. Only thing I wish I had done differently on this boat. My lift is in a small inlet off the lake, with not much maneuver space. I need to back up to the left to be able to have room to get the bow turned and clear the pontoon motor on the lift next to me. It was much easier with dockstar. Unfortunately, I've got a nice scratch in my Mica flake to show for it. Repair estimate is north of $6K. Glad I've got good insurance...
                            Jerry

2020 X22
                            2018 XT22
                            2014 Aqua Patio
                            2003 Malibu Response LXi
                            2001 Malibu Sunsetter
                            1978 Ski Supreme

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
                              MC Devotee
                              • Mar 2017

I’m in the same situation. I’m in the second slip from the right and have to back up to the left which DockStar allows me to do quite predictably each time.

Same when I’m returning, the wind is inevitably blowing towards the dock. Having the option to back up in different directions takes a lot of the stress out.

Comment

• jbmccul
                                MC Maniac
                                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
                                I’m in the same situation. I’m in the second slip from the right and have to back up to the left which DockStar allows me to do quite predictably each time.

Same when I’m returning, the wind is inevitably blowing towards the dock. Having the option to back up in different directions takes a lot of the stress out.

Based on that photo, how much of a pain is it to get the Prostar out?
                                2012 MasterCraft X15 5.7L
                                2021 Lone Star Master Bash - June 11-13 - Lake Travis, TX
                                Instagram: @lonestarmasterbash

Originally posted by uplandbird
                                Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X