Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-25-2019, 09:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastecraft, 190, 1987, 351
So the ignition switch was causing the engine to shut off when you cranked the engine and returned the key to “on” position. The engine would fire when you cranked it and then It shut off.

I noticed when you jiggled the key the buzzer would sound and the volt meter registered 12 volts. Jiggle the ignition switch and the buzzer would stop and engine wouldn’t stay running.

Skidim sent me new ignition switch. Wire it up and still not buzzer - check the kill switch With a 12v tester....power on one side and Nothing on the other terminal. Jiggle that and buzzer sounds and volt meter lights and engine runs....GOSH DARNIT!!!!!!!!

Now to tackle the hard starting when hot. I believe the timing is way off. The original starter was rebuilt prior to me buying it - probably should replace the battery wires seeing I’m having some electrical issues...

I may have to have the boat wrapped in the winter with a couple dehumidifier buckets in it.i think the cold damp northeast is not the best environment for old boats.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:24 PM
TT Newbie

The issue was the ignition switch AND the kill switch. Bought a couple pre-made alligator clips wires and 12v prove probe. Once diagnosed the kill switch was intermittent, jumped it and boat runs.

Used the time to also remove all gauges and repair the dash cracks. Which opened up a can of worms because the 30 years have welded the nuts on the threads of the gauge studs.....
Old 06-15-2019, 07:25 PM
TT Newbie

And replaced the starter - go figure. And the battery had a bad cell in it - the dash would go dead and when I jiggled the battery the dash would light up. Try to start and the dash would would die. Hard to believe 4 things at once would give me this Big a problem....