Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 05-12-2021, 10:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '85 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
I like new alternators, regardless. They are under US $75.00.

Don't forget the 12GA wire from the alternator to the starter relay and the short 2AWG cable from the relay to the starter solenoid. Check them. If you put on a new 105A alternator, upgrade the 12GA to 10GA. Some folks go 8GAG but I typically install 10GA.

You are asking the right questions. Patience.

Thanks, I appreciate the direction, just some troubleshooting needs to be done. I don't love the electrical stuff, but it's something I need to understand better, and skier electrics are about as basic as it gets luckily.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
I like new alternators, regardless. They are under US $75.00.

Don't forget the 12GA wire from the alternator to the starter relay and the short 2AWG cable from the relay to the starter solenoid. Check them. If you put on a new 105A alternator, upgrade the 12GA to 10GA. Some folks go 8GAG but I typically install 10GA.

You are asking the right questions. Patience.

I have not had the boat on and running yet, but I started checking connections and did not notice any discernable voltage drop on engine related connections. The first connection in the dash I checked, though, was the ignition switch. Incoming was 12.45v, key on and voltage drop of 2.1v (reading 10.35v on purple key-on power wire.) right away. Also discovered a bunch of janky wiring that is going to have to be replaced. I think I'm on the right track. Need to figure out if contacts can be cleaned on the ignition switch or if I just need to buy a new one.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 190, 1993, Anniversary Limited.
Check all the purple wire connections; I recently had alternator issues and found one loose connection on the back of the tach, tightened it and got a full 1V jump across all purple connections in the dash. My problem was my alternator in the end.
1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17
Old 05-14-2021, 12:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Check all the purple wire connections; I recently had alternator issues and found one loose connection on the back of the tach, tightened it and got a full 1V jump across all purple connections in the dash. My problem was my alternator in the end.
Yeah this is the plan. The thing is that I believe all purple wire (key-on power) connections originate from the switch. So the fact I've already dropped 2v off the first component doesn't bode well for the rest. Considering I am reading only 9.5v on my perfect pass, I'm losing voltage somewhere else too.