Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2021, 09:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Achilles sg124
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
Actually, this generation XStar was designed with the primary focus to be- A wakeboard boat that can accommodate, and excell, at providing a great wakeboard wake for ALL skill levels. While also being capable of a top notch surf wave.

It was not designed to be a "G-killer" at all.

They knew the primary focus was surf these days. And that a vast majority of buyers wanted a great pro level wakeboard wake that was also easy for lower speeds, and training beginners....... And everything between.

Past models weren't so great at meeting that goal (Because it wasnt the goal when they were built).

That is coming direct from the MC engineer that does the final validation on hull designs from MC.

This isnt 2013 anymore......... Centurion has been caught in surf performance by several others. At this point Centurion is simply throwing more weight at them, at the cost of 80% of the storage in the boat. Still a great wave, but no longer a standout in a sea full of other great surf boats.
Parks would disagree when he said We back Baby!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnn4__0uDnU
Old 05-13-2021, 10:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2, 19 XT23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Parks would disagree when he said We back Baby!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnn4__0uDnU
Im sure Parks was the one who laid out the design goals when the Star was built...🤦🏻*♂️
Old 05-14-2021, 12:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Achilles sg124
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDriver669 View Post
Im sure Parks was the one who laid out the design goals when the Star was built...🤦🏻*♂️
Not sure why you are face palming me considering the fact that Mastercraft has made a Parks edition XStar in the past. I would say its a very safe bet to assume Parks had quite a bit of input in the redesigned Xstar wakeboard wake.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2, 19 XT23
Quote:
Not sure why you are face palming me considering the fact that Mastercraft has made a Parks edition XStar in the past. I would say its a very safe bet to assume Parks had quite a bit of input in the redesigned Xstar wakeboard wake.
Pretty simple actually. Im sure, as you have said, Parks had input on the design. That is far from laying out the design goals at MC when a model is redesigned and well above the level a sponsored ride is involved in. But hey, keep at it I guess. Youve already been told what a MC engineer designed the boat to do.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft XT22 2020 Ilmor 6.0mpi
I posted this in another thread but no luck. Thoughts?

I have slowly started buying lead bags this winter and this got me thinking of cheaper alternatives. I have found old weightlifting bar plates varying in size. I can get $270# for $100.

One potential issue I see is bouncing/sliding around. My thoughts were to buy a sturdy container to fit the various places to keep them contained. Possible even spray them with textured bed liner paint for areas that wouldn't fit a container.

Is this a bad idea?
Old 05-14-2021, 10:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2019 X22, '18 NXT22, '06 X30
Quote:

It was not designed to be a "G-killer" at all.

They knew the primary focus was surf these days. And that a vast majority of buyers wanted a great pro level wakeboard wake that was also easy for lower speeds, and training beginners....... And everything between.

That is coming direct from the MC engineer that does the final validation on hull designs from MC.

This isnt 2013 anymore......... Centurion has been caught in surf performance by several others. At this point Centurion is simply throwing more weight at them, at the cost of 80% of the storage in the boat. Still a great wave, but no longer a standout in a sea full of other great surf boats.
The x22 and x24 are defiantly G-killers. My buddy that loves his G23 was super shocked in how much more push and how much bigger/longer the push pocket was on my x22 as well as more adjustability in wave. He said the only killer for him was no true walk through transom. He is short and needs a step stool LOL! He also like how much easier it was to steer and loved the lack of exhaust fumes of the GDI motor. I'm 245 lbs and can definitely tell how much push the G23 looses at the back compared to the x22.

My other buddy wants to sell his 2017 Ri237 and get an x22 or 24 now after riding my x22. He just doesn't want to be stuck without a boat for this summer.

As for the Xstar I will say it can make a much taller wave than the G23 but I only have one day on a new gen Xstar and didn't ask the owner to play with the settings, just took the wave I got and was massive. We did have 12 adults in the boat too.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:28 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2020 x star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tookeymonster View Post
The x22 and x24 are defiantly G-killers. My buddy that loves his G23 was super shocked in how much more push and how much bigger/longer the push pocket was on my x22 as well as more adjustability in wave. He said the only killer for him was no true walk through transom. He is short and needs a step stool LOL! He also like how much easier it was to steer and loved the lack of exhaust fumes of the GDI motor. I'm 245 lbs and can definitely tell how much push the G23 looses at the back compared to the x22.

My other buddy wants to sell his 2017 Ri237 and get an x22 or 24 now after riding my x22. He just doesn't want to be stuck without a boat for this summer.

As for the Xstar I will say it can make a much taller wave than the G23 but I only have one day on a new gen Xstar and didn't ask the owner to play with the settings, just took the wave I got and was massive. We did have 12 adults in the boat too.

I have spent a fair amount of time behind my friends 2019 G, great boat with a solid wave, however I was pretty surprised with how much taller the wave was on my new xstar compared to his. Match that with the customizability of the MC wave compared to the G and MC really begins to separate from the G.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2020 X22 / 2018 XT21 5500 (Sold) / 2015 NXT20 (Sold)
I have one neighbor that has a 2020 G23 and one that has a 2021 G23, the 2021 is better but still not as good as the X22.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2020 XStar
Quote:
Parks had zero influence on the hull validation process for the new XStar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tookeymonster View Post

Ya, sorry. I was only meaning from the standpoint of wakeboarding.....

The XStar is easily a better surf boat than the G series.... including the paragon. I did at least find the paragon better than the Base G, but still not a stand-out surf wave compared to a lot of the competition.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Malibu, wake setter vlx 2014
Quote:
Parks had zero influence on the hull validation process for the new XStar.

Ya, sorry. I was only meaning from the standpoint of wakeboarding.....

The XStar is easily a better surf boat than the G series.... including the paragon. I did at least find the paragon better than the Base G, but still not a stand-out surf wave compared to a lot of the competition.
Coming from an M235, how does the x24 compare?