Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: X7
Perfect Pass Paddle Wheel on X7,197

Hey guys,

I think i need to replace the paddle wheel (speedo) on my X7. Im pretty sure mine is damaged given that the speedo and PP didnt work when i took it for a test yesterday. Does anyone have a photo of how it should look on the underside of the boat? Are they hard to replace? Any instructions or hints would be great.

thanks again,

Mike
Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 08 x14 350hp loaded
this is on a 08/ 214 im asuming most paddlewheels are the same or similar
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Very easy to replace.

1 I would turn key on and hold down on/off and menu at the same time. It will ask you to reset system push up. It will ask you to reset base lines press down for no. It will ask you if you want wakeboard mode or 3 event, press either up or down as instructed. It is simple.

This will reset your system. This has helped me several times as I have the Stargazer. Sometimes my GPS does not pick up and it shows gps lock. Reset always fixes it.

Just make sure you do NOT reset baselines. If you do you will be re cal the entire system for speed.

2 Check the Master Module to see if everything is hooked up correctly.

3 If you are going to replace the paddle wheel you will need a new one before you take the old one out. They are all the same. Once you get the new one the old one is threaded and you unscrew it from the inside. You then will pull it out from the inside. The case is threaded from the bottom to the plastic nut on the inside. You will have to take the nut off to get the paddle wheel out. There are three pieces. Bottom flange that is under the boat and has the threads on the inside. The paddle wheel that goes in from the bilge and sits in the plastic flange and the nut that keeps eveything tight.

4 I would call PP and speak with a tech before just ordering one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 AM
MC Maniac

I would also crawl under boat and look at the wheel it self. If it is damaged you need a new one. You would not need a pic to tell if it is damaged. Every blade should look the same. If one is jacked up you need to repair it. Also see if it spins freely. If it doesnt, something is binding it.

I still would call PP even if you see damage bc they might be able to sell you just the pieces to fix what is wrong. I have worked with those guys many times and they are helpfull.

They will ask right off the bat if you see visual damage or if you had tried to do a system reset.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
As Kyle stated, I would not jump to conclusions and assume your actual paddlewheel is bad until you look at it. Unless you heard a significant thunk on your hull the last time out, I doubt your paddlewheel is broken. A couple of other thoughts:
- Do you have power to the PP display; is the display lit and not showing any info?
-- If no power, you need to start tracing wiring connections and check CBs
- If you have power, ensure your paddlewheel spins freely. You can remove the paddlewheel unit from inside the boat and check for debris, etc. Note the direction of the arrow on top of unit before you remove it so you install it back in the same position. The arrow should face towards the bow.
- With the key to “on” you can manually spin your paddlewheel and see if the speedo needle moves; that will be another indication if it is a power issue.
-This Airmar link will provide some additional info on your specific unit... http://www.airmartechnology.com/airm...lt.asp?LinkID=

Hope this helps, mac
Attached Images

2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012
Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for all the responses.

Both the perfect pass speedo and mc gauge werent getting a reading at all. When i look at the wheel under the boat it looks like the two little plastic bits either side of the unit that stick out of the hull have been squashed or bent. I'll take a picture tonight.

The perfect pass starts up and lights up as usual i just dont get any speed readings.

I'll take some photos tonight so i can confirm if its damaged or if its a wire or something.

Thanks,
Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
Based on what you described, I would just remove the paddle wheel from inside the boat then you can see the whole wheel easily. It's simple to remove, just unscrew the retaining ring and pull the unit straight up and out...of course, your boat needs to be out the water. Once removed, you may be able to straighten out the pin that wheel rotates on unless you have some broken paddles, then you will need to replace the wheel.
2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012
Old 04-05-2010, 03:14 AM
TT Regular

sorry i took so long to get some photos. My wife gave birth to our first child 1 week ago How quickly your priorities change huh.......

Here is a photo of it. Looks like its been bent on one of the trailer slides.

Does anyone know the part number or exactly which paddle wheel i need?

thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2010, 03:59 AM
MC Maniac

I believe that there is only one kind of paddle wheel for all perfect pass systems.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-05-2010, 04:39 AM
TT Regular

That should make it easy then Does anyone know how much they are?

I guess im going to need to bend those two tabs back into place so that when i screw the new wheel in it picks up the water properly, right?