Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2010, 04:24 AM
TT Regular

Boat: X7
i tried to spin whats left of the paddel wheel but i couldnt get a reading. Does the wheel take the reading or is it the paddle as it moves past that small sensor which i guess also reads the temp an depth? If its the latter then i can see why i wouldnt get a reading, there's no paddle left at all, pretty much just the little little axle the plastic centre peice of the paddle wheel.

I'm getting temp and depth readings ok so can i assume that the only reason the speedo isnt working is because there are literally zero paddles left to trigger a reading?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:27 AM
TT Regular

can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tags View Post
can anyone confirm this?
Tags: Checking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Hey Mac

Do you think that the difference between your system and mine working differently woud have to do with mine being a mechanical system vs drive by wire?
Kyle: Great thought...I'm checking with PP to satisfy my curiosity
2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012
Old 04-12-2010, 03:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
If there are not any paddles left on the wheel then there will not be a pick up or reading.

I am not sure why you are getting a temp reading. Is the reading you are getting from PP.

PP does not tell depth. Do you have a depth guage that also tells temp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-12-2010, 03:46 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack View Post
Tags: Checking...

Kyle: Great thought...I'm checking with PP to satisfy my curiosity
Another issue I had was I had my GPS puck on the outside of the dash and the wires got worn down and PP quit working. I had the wires running under the dash and they were pinched between the dash and top cap. I had worn through a white wire in the GPS line. When this happened my paddle wheel went away also. I stripped and soldered the wire back together and used some heat shrink and back to work everything went.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
If there are not any paddles left on the wheel then there will not be a pick up or reading.

I am not sure why you are getting a temp reading. Is the reading you are getting from PP.

PP does not tell depth. Do you have a depth guage that also tells temp?
Sorry, yeh the temp and depth are shown on the mastercraft gauge, not the PP. They are read from the same paddle wheel though, the perfect pass uses the speedo and the mastercraft menu uses the depth and temp sensor which form part of the airmar paddle wheel

Thanks macattack and Kyle
Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 04 TT 197 (SOLD)
So the actual sensor for the water temp is on the paddle wheel as opposed to the housing? I ask this because my temp sensor went but the actual paddle wheel is fine, stills gives speedo readings. It would be nice just to be able to swap out the paddle wheel and not the whole unit.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:51 AM
TT Regular

sorry i think i've confused you. The temp and depth senson is part of the whole airmar paddle wheel unit that screws into the hull of the boat. The actual paddle wheel is part of this but only measures speed.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
Kyle: My GPS pluck is also mounted on the top of the dash in front of the top cap; to prevent the wires from being squished, I filed a little notch in the bottom of top cap where it meets the dash to allow the the pluck wire to lay loose under the top cap.

I talked to Aaron at PP, he believes the spinning of the paddlewheel/speedo needle moving should work on both a DBW and non-DBW boat. He suggested trying the wakeboard mode vs slalom, but mine works in the slalom mode.

Tags: The speed data is generated as the magnets on the ends of paddles pass by a magnetic pickup in the housing assembly. Bottom line, you need a new paddlewheel assuming your housing isn't cracked from whatever caused your paddles to break off; PP sells them for $25 and $10 or so to ship by mail or $40 to ship by UPS. You can contact PP by email [email protected] with questions.

I'm with Kyle on the temp reading is from the PP system, but I believe your depth reading is coming from a separate transducer/pluck probably located back in the area where your propellor shaft enters into the boat.

Rhsprostar: Unfortunately, the temp sensor is in the PP housing assembly, not the paddlewheel, so I believe you need to buy the whole unit. I had the same issue last yr/no temp and replaced the whole unit and it now works great. My original Airmar ST300 was discontinued and replaced with the ST800. Bought it from my MC dealer for $99.65 and installed it myself.

hope all this helps, mac
2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012
Old 04-13-2010, 03:18 PM
MC Maniac

Mac

This is very interesting. I have delt with PP for about 2 months straight after I got my stargazer system in my boat. They sent me 3 master modules, 4 timmers, and 2 paddle wheels. They insisted that the boat would run fine and that I was installing it incorrectly. I had a question for them "Can I mount the PP master module and any of the wires near a stereo system or a subwoofer with a large magnet." Their answer was Absolutly yes you can and they have never seen a PP system be effected by a stereo system." I took pics of my volt meter and readings and fought with them for about 6 weeks, proving I knew what I was doing.

After playing ship parts back and fourth and this being the 5th PP system to install and the 4 previous systems never had issues, I moved everything away from the stereo system even though I was told that would not matter and a waste of time..... The master module and the timer was picking up constantly some kind of electrical field around the 3 big amps I have and the JL W6 12in sub with a massive magnet, wich I told and explained to them I had and were it was installed vs the PP installed. The minute I finished moving the master module and rerunning the wires to the module it worked perfect. I have never had an issue since then.

So to get back on the subject, I really dont know if PP really knows the small detailed answers.

Above you stated the PP system works with a spedo in the dash. On a NDBW system PP works only PP and water runs to the other spedo. I will try to spin another PP system NDBW and see if it picks up. I really bet it has to do with the DBW vs NDBW.

Quote:
Quote: