Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2021, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I can tell you, from personal experience, you don't want to use the Harold's method for anything other then shows. It's flat out too dangerous and slippery to use on a daily driver.
I can tell you that someone took a good toss of my platform that was done with Harold's method on my X14 years ago. But if you are using Harold's method on the older style platforms with spaces in between the boards, there is definitely a bit more friction (similar to using small tiles on a shower floor) than on the newer platforms that are joined tightly.

While I used #1's method and loved the original results, I will say that I prefer the Tommy Nation 75/25 results. Not sure how Kyle took credit, but I didn't review the links. I'll also add that #1 did not allow skis on his platform. I ski'd his boat and had to put my ski on my own platform which was tied up next to him. And if I wasn't on my own boat, I'd probably still be floating on lake wylie trying to get into my double boots. YMMV.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
Unless there are scratches to get out, skip the sanding. I also use starbrite cleaner and brightener. You can buy them individually, and not in the 3 pack. I use linseed oil/ mineral spirits. After you apply a coat, come back a half hour later and wipe off the excess. I've skipped the last step before, but the excess will leave a sticky/ tacky area behind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2021, 09:36 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskiboat View Post
I use whatever they had at Home Depot or Loweís and seemed to work fine. I did need to do a 1/2 summer touch up and end of season redo but it keeps it nice.

And the touch up is easy. Really redid the whole thing I guess but didnít need much.
Was that something like Watco, or an oil that stays wet, like SunBrite, etc?
Old 05-14-2021, 09:40 AM
MC Master Poster

I haven't seen it done or mentioned, but I have a boat with Teak strips on the bow and gunwales for people to step on as they enter and I'm going to try using paste wax. The reason woods like Teak turn gray and 'dry out' is because the natural wax breaks down and washes away because of Sunlight- I might use Bee's Wax since it's normally outside and exposed to light and air, anyway.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:42 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnst1 View Post
Great, thanks for the quick reply! I noticed earlier in the thread, some said to NOT use a sealer.....what is the issue with a sealer vs using oils?
If you're referring to a finish that dries/cures to make a harder coating that's like plastic, the reason that causes problems is due to the trapping of water in the wood fibers, which leads to rot and mold growth.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
I've had Tropical Teak sealer but plan to strip it this year and go the oil route. My container of sealer ran out for my annual touch up purposes, so it's a good time to switch. The sealer served me well over the years but I didn't like the orangish color of it.

In hindsight I would have just gone with one coat and touched up from there. The first coat looked great and showed the natural wood color. I tried the Harold approach, and each coat (followed by sanding) gave the teak more of an orange look.

I didn't have problems with mold, but I keep my boat in the garage where it dries out pretty well after each use.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Was that something like Watco, or an oil that stays wet, like SunBrite, etc?

Old 05-31-2021, 02:39 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft X2 w/Pro Package , 2013, 5.7L
What do you guys do with left over mixture of linseed / mineral oil to properly dispose of? Not the rags, but any actual liquid remaining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2021, 06:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar
I mixed in a spaghetti sauce jar. Then poured into small aluminum pie plate (Weber grill drip pan) for use, donít pour too much....
Iím guessing the jar full will do the platform 5-6 times?
Old 05-31-2021, 09:36 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnst1 View Post
What do you guys do with left over mixture of linseed / mineral oil to properly dispose of? Not the rags, but any actual liquid remaining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your area has hazardous waste collection, call and ask- some have events or permanent locations where people can take this kind of stuff to them for disposal. You can pour it onto waste paper or into a shallow pan to let it dry or save it for later. You can also soak it up with paper towels, then lay those out to dry.