Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 11-29-2018, 11:28 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
I had the same issue. Trailer alignment corrected the crazy tire wear.
Trailer alignment is money well spent.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:43 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: X24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
How old?!? My 93 dual axle trailer is doing this and I was hoping I could get it aligned still, without getting new axles.
I looked at 2006 the other day. Have to replace entire axle. 2012 just need to replace the spindle. Customer hit something hard front port axle. Local tire shop ordered entire white axle. The trailer is black. Now we have to paint it and install it..
Old 05-04-2020, 10:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
Has anyone done a spindle replacement? I nailed a curb and my tire is not sitting right. It's towed out and squatting on the inside of the tire. Wear is not good. It looks like I can just replace the spindle and don't have to do the whole torsion axle. I'm guessing jack it up, mark the location, unbolt and bolt the new one on? I took it to the local trailer shop that does straightening, and he didn't want to touch it. Actually I called the first place, who referred me to the second, who referred me to third guy who didn't want to touch it. I'm planning on calling Waymire tomorrow to see about ordering just the spindle. It looks like they have it listed in their catalog.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
you'll have to cut it off and weld on a new one right? and then still have it aligned...
Old 05-05-2020, 01:29 PM
MC Devotee

It's a splined shaft, so I just unbolt the old one and slide the new one on in the same orientation, I hope. I ordered one this morning.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2020, 11:01 AM
MC Devotee

So the spindle replacement didn't work. I had to replace the whole axle. Waymires.com helped me out with procuring the axle. They charged me $500 for the axle and $100 to get it drop shipped from the supplier, Dexter. MC dealer said it was going to be $1100 for the axle. I got it swapped out yesterday in about an hour and half. A couple of buddies came over to help, so I didn't get any pictures of the job. They were in a rush.

A couple of tips:
1. You don't have to disconnect any break lines. You can cut relief slots in the bracket and slide them out. Just make sure you don't go overboard on the slot - keep it small enough to just get the brakes out. Also, be careful not to cut into the brake line. It's a little tricky keeping it out of the way.
2. Put some tape on the end of the axle shaft and mark where the split is in the spindle. Once you take the spindle off, count the number of teeth there are from top of the axle to your mark. Use that number to line up the spindle when you install it on the new axle. I think they are supposed to be 45 degrees, but I didn't have a protractor to measure.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:02 AM
MC Devotee

Only picture I got it when I finished painting it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2020, 12:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '08 X14
Thanks for the update. Think I'm going to need a new axle soon, mine is not sitting level from one side to the other, I'm guess the internal rubber torsion spring is worn more on one side.

So you just swapped brakes, bearings, etc from the old axle? Just unbolt old and bolt in the new?
Old 06-09-2020, 04:10 PM
MC Devotee

Yes, the spindle bolts to the axle splines. I unhooked the brake calipers, cut the bracket and slid the brake lines out, removed the spindles, and then pulled the axle. This allowed me to keep the vault bearing lubrication system all sealed.

Also, make sure you pull the big bolt before attempting to slide the spindle off. The bolt sits in a groove that won't allow the spindle to slide off.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:08 PM
MC Devotee

So I replaced the axle and everything looked good. I trailered the boat down to the river today, and I noticed when I pulled it out, I noticed that I don't have any clearance to my fenders. It's like the torsion axle settled or took a new flex. I know I checked clearance when I finished the job and had the trailer back on the ground. I double checked and my ballast was empty. Anyone have any experience with this? Should I just pull the spindles off and clock them over more? I know I put them the same angle as the old one.