Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 12:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 tristar 190
Surfing behind a 1989 Tristar 190

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, so this is my first post. I just recently invested in my first boat, an 89 tristar 190. Love it so far.
Me and my buddy were in hopes to get into surfing, but wasn't exactly sure a good setup to use for this boat as far as ballast and what not? Also if a surf gate is necessary?
We have wakeboarded for a while, but are beginners with surfing, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Josh
Old 09-18-2017, 02:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
ballast(lots) and a diy wake shaper. you will not get an awesome wake but you can make a wake.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:27 AM
TT Regular

The person we bought the boat from included a surf gate. It's one of the ones with the 2 industrial suction cups. We're having issues getting it to stay suctioned when the boat is moving even at just a few mph. Any suggestions on the best way to keep the surf gate suctioned on to the boat? Apply in water or when boat is dry?
Also how much ballast are you talking?

Thanks h20
Old 09-19-2017, 01:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
I put my wake shaper on in the water. Helps make a better seal. You might also try this: tie a piece of nylon cord to the shaping device (to the handle or whatever will be secure), then tie the other end off to a tower leg or cleat or something well forward. What you're trying to do is make it so the suction cups can't slide on the hull and cause the device to fall off. I was having issues with mine, added the rope and now, absolutely zero issues. Heck, the other day I forgot to take it off when we switched to wakeboarding, and it wasn't until I looked in the mirror at 20 mph and saw the huge rooster tail coming off the side that I remembered!
G
Old 09-19-2017, 02:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
is the surf gate at a 90 to the boat or a 45? in reality you are just trying to cause some turbulence in the water to make the other side of the wake smooth out. if it is at a 90 I would suggest making one out of the harbor freight suction cups and a piece of pvc plank. it will float as well and you can choose your angle. I've made a few and for us the 45's have worked best. Also yup put it on wet.

and did i mention ballast :P
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 AM
TT Regular

Good idea Gweaver. That is exactly what is happening. The cups are sliding to towards the back end of the boat then off they go into the water. I'm going to have to try tying a cord as tight as I can to the base of the tower and hopefully that will keep the cups from sliding.
Also, G, what type of ballast setup do you run?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:51 AM
TT Regular

Yes h20 it is at a 90 from the boat. I thought about making my own but since we already have one, I'd like to possibly use it if possible.

We are thinking about buying 2 bullet shaped 550lb fatsacs, so 1100 lbs total. We would put one across the back and one next to the motor on the surf side. Would that be enough ballast for us to get up and let go of the rope in the pocket and ride?
Like I said we are just beginners
Old 09-19-2017, 09:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
Jbeams2- I have a very different boat, a Maristar 230. I have 1100s in each locker, the KGB bag in the floor and a 750 under the front seats. I haven't gotten the wave dialed in- it's short, with no push. I know my KGB bag has small leaks in it and needs replacing. I suspect that might be part of it. I also think when full, I have too much weight in the rear. Or maybe I need a large bag in the center walkway for more nose weight. I dunno. I've seen what others with the same boat have accomplished, but I can't seem to get there. I'll keep trying though.
G
Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Before you do this, do you have water that is ATLEAST 15 feet deep?

If you have water deep enough you can surf.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:45 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the reply G. I'll keep all that in mind. I'm definitely going to have to try tying the Nylin rope to the surf gate and forward to the base of the tower. Hopefully that works as good for me as it does for you to prevent the cups sliding off.

Thanks again

Tags
89 tristar, ballast, surf gate, wakeshaper, wakesurf