Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-01-2019, 11:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
I had my one second of TV fame.

https://wset.com/news/local/wood-and...visitors-upset

The local news showed up at our marina this weekend as I was launching the boat but I was unaware of anything special going on. It was all “fake news”. The marina manager lied about how much time he spends cleaning up debris, and he isn’t losing money because of the water conditions. I’ll leave it at that. In the 30+ years that I’ve been on Leesville Lake, not ONCE have I ever seen the barge out on the lake on a weekend, but the power company did a drive-by for the camera on a Saturday. I’m in the video at about the 50 second mark….for one second.

Leesville Lake is a reservoir for Smith Mountain Lake. Always has been…always will be. We have to deal with the weekly water fluctuation and the debris that comes from the shoreline erosion. Floating trees/logs are a problem but I never have a problem finding clear water to ski. I would have rather been skiing Saturday evening but I was cutting/burning instead.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2019, 11:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I know what you mean with AEP. I have been battling with them to do better cleaning up Claytor Lake. I bent my prop 3 times in a span of 12 months last year. AEP flat out told me that they don't clean up floating debris in the main channels unless it is log size or a huge collection of debris. This is in total disagreement with their debris management plan that they filed with the FERC. AEP says it is not efficient to clean up floating debris, even though it poses a clear danger to boaters. I have to go out and scout an area to surf or wakeboard. I spend 30 minutes to an hour pulling out wood before I can do much of anything. It's frustrating and seems to be getting worse.

AEP loves to quote the tonnage they pull out just like they did in your video. I would rather them pull out 10 pieces of arm size floating debris in the main lake versus 10 logs laying next to the shore. I'm not going to run into a log stuck halfway on the bank!