Clear All
  • bret
    MC Devotee
    • Aug 2004

Click image for larger version

Name:	Henry 45 70.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	904.8 KB
ID:	2717393 My 30th Anniversary present...Henry Golden Boy, 45/70 Side Gate but deer season will be closed by the time I get home.
    1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

• bcd
      MC Devotee
      • Jul 2011

I had the giant at 80 yards tonight with my muzzleloader buck tag, but he was on the neighbors.

Comment

• mastercraftka
        MC Devotee
        • Jul 2017

Well it's only been 100 plus degrees down here for 30 something days now so obviously I am starting to think about hunting season!! lol Just started putting the cameras back out to see what is coming in. We are about 2 months away from Archery season. Anyone else getting the hunting itch??
        Attached Files
        2017 XT23

Comment

• bcd
          MC Devotee
          • Jul 2011

I'm hoping to get my cameras out this weekend. I'm behind this year.

Comment

• pmkkdx
            MC Maniac
            • May 2009

yep, I am getting pretty sick and tired of these 100+ degree days (30 consecutive as of yesterday), but likely another couple more weeks to come of the same.

I am starting to put days on my calendar in prep for hunting season.

We will probably spend most of Labor Day weekend shredding and getting all the feeders & cameras ready, later in Sept. plowing and planting food plots for our east Texas lease.

I will need to make another trip out to my west Texas place to check cameras and refill feeders in Sept. as well (run feeders year around out there).

it's also about time to re-fill feeders (run year around as well) and check cameras on my central Texas place too. likely shred and plant plots there in late Sept as well.

Keeping 16 feeders going year around at 3 different ranches with these corn prices is painful enough.

My son and I are likely going to CO 3rd rifle season for OTC DIY elk as well in Nov.

ha, and not to mention my wife is still in full on lake / boating mode and doesn't want to hear anything about "hunting" or "prep"

Comment

• trikepilot
              TT Enthusiast
              • Sep 2019

Got a new deer stand up yesterday

Name:	20230816_093458.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	3.98 MB
ID:	2730528

Name:	20230816_093430.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2730527

And on the drive back to the house I saw this guy

Name:	20230816_095027.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2730526
              1998 Prostar 205 (red)

Comment

• mastercraftka
                MC Devotee
                • Jul 2017

We are getting closer!!! Dove season started today down here. Sounds like a war zone.
                Attached Files
                2017 XT23

Comment

• pmkkdx
                  MC Maniac
                  • May 2009

pretty nice and still fuzzy ... they should be rubbed out before too long

on Friday, I got all my food plots shredded in central TX and then yesterday, made the haul to our east TX lease and shredded for hours at 3 different stand set ups, now just waiting a few more weeks until we get a cool wet front (hopefully) so I can get planting done and continue to prayer for rain.

Comment

• mastercraftka
                    MC Devotee
                    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
                    pretty nice and still fuzzy ... they should be rubbed out before too long

on Friday, I got all my food plots shredded in central TX and then yesterday, made the haul to our east TX lease and shredded for hours at 3 different stand set ups, now just waiting a few more weeks until we get a cool wet front (hopefully) so I can get planting done and continue to prayer for rain.
                    Ya I spent most of the long weekend finishing up working on my disc harrow and shredding plots. We have about 32 acres of milo planted I am hoping the doves start showing up here soon, they are usually late to arrive here.
                    2017 XT23

Comment

• pmkkdx
                      MC Maniac
                      • May 2009

yep, I spent last Friday at my central TX place, got 5 small (80' x 100-150') plots and roads all shredded. Headed to my east TX place early Saturday and shredded from 9:00-2:30ish until it just got to hot to continue, loaded up and headed home as I needed to do some work on my tractor & shredder.

My son borrowed his FILs big tractor with batwing and shredded Sat. afternoon, Sunday and yesterday morning ... got a bunch knocked out at 3 existing stand locations and created a couple new ones down in the Trinity river bottom where we've had stands in the past. The last couple of years, the river had the bottom pretty flooded or too muddy to get to hunt but there are some real good deer for our area that show up from time to time down there (140-160") that never come up into the rest of the ranch. It definitely has potential as a honey hole depending on upstream water flow and rain fall during season.

I am not sure if he had a chance to fill feeders or pull SD cards ... I will touch base later today. If not, one or both of us will head out in a couple weeks to get that taken care of before our season opens Sat. Sept. 30 (MLD3). I'll likely take my travel trailer out that weekend to set up for season.

Comment

• bcd
                        MC Devotee
                        • Jul 2011

Anyone having any luck? My season was pretty slow until last weekend. Hadn't seen more than 3 deer in a sit. I shot this guy Monday morning, but he started walking right as I was shooting. It freaked me out and I think I flinched and made the shot even worse. - it was way back. I let him go overnight and got a tracking dog for the next morning, expecting the worse. Turns out he died a lot faster than I thought he would and didn't need the dog. He was right where I thought he'd be. Unfortunately it was warm Monday, and I wasn't able to save the meat. The last picture is him from last year. He didn't really add any inches this year. I think he was at least 5.5 years old based on last year's picture.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• pmkkdx
                          MC Maniac
                          • May 2009

very nice bcd!!! I've spent a lot of time in the woods since late Oct. (we are MLD on one place) and have been seeing a lot of chasing the past 2 weekend. Seen a lot of up and comers that will be great deer in another year or two. I will be heading back out this evening and hunt thru mid day on Sat.

Comment

• mastercraftka
                            MC Devotee
                            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by bcd View Post
                            Anyone having any luck? My season was pretty slow until last weekend. Hadn't seen more than 3 deer in a sit. I shot this guy Monday morning, but he started walking right as I was shooting. It freaked me out and I think I flinched and made the shot even worse. - it was way back. I let him go overnight and got a tracking dog for the next morning, expecting the worse. Turns out he died a lot faster than I thought he would and didn't need the dog. He was right where I thought he'd be. Unfortunately it was warm Monday, and I wasn't able to save the meat. The last picture is him from last year. He didn't really add any inches this year. I think he was at least 5.5 years old based on last year's picture.
                            That is a toad!!! Congrats! I would say yes at least 5.5, I wish my place had old deer can't ever seem to find anything older than 4.5. We have too much pressure.

I have only sat a handful of times and seen pretty good numbers and lot of 3.5 year old 8 pts. On our oats some days we will pull neighboring deer and see 30 to 40 at one time but nothing that makes me want to pull the trigger. We actually had an early freeze a couple weeks ago so that is helping. No rutting activity yet, but the bucks are starting to break up and move on their own now. Our season is very young though we have until the middle of January so Thanksgiving week on is when the hunting usually heats up for us.
                            2017 XT23

Comment

• mastercraftka
                              MC Devotee
                              • Jul 2017

My son got a good one a few weeks ago.
                              Attached Files
                              2017 XT23

Comment

• pmkkdx
                                MC Maniac
                                • May 2009

great looking buck! congratulations to your son!

I'm heading out to west Texas Sat. (45 miles SW of Ozona) to tend to feeders and make a few sits during the extended doe / spike season. My east TX place being MLD, we can hunt there thru the end of February. We have seen a huge jump in deer this year, especially good prospects 3.5/4.5 year old bucks. I passed on a 13 point that would likely score in the 140-150 bc range but he was only 4.5 years old tops. My son thought I was nuts but that's how they get bigger and better is letting them get to 5+ years old. We should have a good crop for next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X