• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TitanBob
    TT Regular
    • Oct 2016

2013 X55 and Wave Shaper devices

Has anyone tried a wave shaper device on an X55? I have a 2013 X55 and get a very nice wave on the port side, but having a challenge in getting a nice wave on the starboard side. I have looked a several wave shapers, but all require 3.5 or more inches of flat hull space at the water line and the x55 has a curve in the hull that only leaves slightly over 3 inches of flat space. I am thinking of trying a wave shaper at a higher place on the hull, but not sure if it will be effective. So, looking for any ideas and experiences that other X55 owners have. I have extra ballast bags in the port and starboard lockers, so plenty of extra weight. It is a Gen 1 system and I checked with Mastercraft and cannot upgrade to the Gen 2 tabs. The 2013 models have the hard tanks tool close to the back of the boat and that prevents the additional screws that are required for the Gen 2 tabs.
  • Elberoth
    TT Enthusiast
    • Aug 2018

Did you try the Swell Wake Creator SLIM ? It has 4 smaller cups. IMO this is the most narrow shaper there is.

It fits on the lowest step of my 2007 X2 no problem:

Comment

• TitanBob
      TT Regular
      • Oct 2016

I am thinking of ordering it, but the specs indicate that it requires 3.5 inches of flat space and the lower step of the X55 is just over 3 inches. My guess is that it will not work and I will have to try using it a higher place.

Comment

• Double D
        MC Addict
        • Sep 2004

Try a shapethewake.com from mark Mertens.
        If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
        1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

• Elberoth
          TT Enthusiast
          • Aug 2018

Originally posted by TitanBob View Post
          I am thinking of ordering it, but the specs indicate that it requires 3.5 inches of flat space and the lower step of the X55 is just over 3 inches. My guess is that it will not work and I will have to try using it a higher place.
          The middle step on the X2 is also little over 3 inches, and I have zero problems attaching the Swell Slim shaper.

IMO it is best to give them a call or write an email and ask. Adam from Swell is even active on this forum.

Comment

• TitanBob
            TT Regular
            • Oct 2016

Appreciate the information and advice. i will send them an email and let you know how things go.

Comment

• dh009
              TT Enthusiast
              • May 2017

Isn’t the issue with ‘13 x55 gen2 retrofits due to clearance to route the Lenco wire? I thought I read somewhere on here that people were successful just had to use a remote gland seal or another solution to get the wire in the boat. Might be worth a peak behind the panels to see what the situation is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Double D
                MC Addict
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by TitanBob View Post
                Appreciate the information and advice. i will send them an email and let you know how things go.

The www.shapethewake.com WakeMate also works for the X2, floats and is only $80.
                If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
                1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

• TitanBob
                  TT Regular
                  • Oct 2016

I checked with Mark at shapethewake and he is not sure that their product will work and asked if I thought the shaper would be at least half under water if I placed it at a higher place on the hull. That is a possibility, but his return policy states that the product must not have been used or placed in the water and so no way to test it and return it if it does not work.

I also contacted Swell about their Slim product and they told me that a few X55 customers have purchased it and could not get it to work, so I am curious as to why it worked well on the X2 when attached to the middle step since that is less than the required 3.5 inches?

I can check under the covers on the X55, but our local dealership (the Liquid Egde) is great to work with and he contacted Mastercraft to check on the cost for the upgrade and was told that the 2013 tanks do not allow ample room to mount the Gen 2 plates. My understanding is that the mounting screws would penetrate the hard tanks.

Comment

• Elberoth
                    TT Enthusiast
                    • Aug 2018

You can get rid of the tanks altogether and use the bags instead.

I have the GSA surf tabs - they make a huge difference. Much greater than the wake shaper (I use both).

Comment

• TitanBob
                      TT Regular
                      • Oct 2016

Ok. so pull the tanks and replace them with bags. Thanks, I had not considered that. I just checked on another idea. I bought it used and think that the current extra bags are 750lbs and could also upgrade these to 1100lb bags. I checked with an email thread from 2016 and that is what one owner did with his X55 to get the wake to be better.

Comment

• Proedge
                        TT Enthusiast
                        • Jun 2019

how's the x55 out of the box with the 750's? I'm picking one up for myself this week, its a 2009, so it doesn't have Gen 1 or 2 surf system. The previous owner added 750's to the rear lockers. I was hoping I would just need to get a suction cup thing and be good to go. am i wrong?

Comment

• TitanBob
                          TT Regular
                          • Oct 2016

My X55 provides a very nice wave on the port side of the boat with all of the ballast bags loaded. So I do not have to list it to get a nice wave (see attached video), but I do use the center tab to create a longer or steeper wave. My guess is that without the center tab you may have to add another ballast bag to the bow of the boat to create a longer surf wave. Do you know if your X55 has the factory hard tank in the front ski locker? Mine does not, since the original owner optioned it with a bow thruster. So I have to keep the center tab at 100% for a longer wave and go to 70% for a steeper wave.

I have been in contact with three companies that make wave shapers and had the most interaction with Swellwake (www.swellwake.com). They believe that their Creator 2.0 wave shaper will work on the X55, since a flat part of the hull does sink below the waterline when I put the boat in motion (see the light gray gelcoat on the second picture to get an idea of the area I am referring to). I plan to order one and give it shot, since I want to be able to create a nice wave on the starboard side of the boat.

Let me know how things go with your X55.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Proedge
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Jun 2019

thanks for responding! i think the x-55 i'm getting does have the center tab and a hard tank in the front, since it does not have a bow thruster.

your wave definitely looks rideable, just not very tall compared to a Nautique, for example. I thought since the x-55 is a heavy boat, similar to a G23, it would produce a taller wave.

is your swim platform raised up? i've seen guys with x-45's and other mastercrafts having to raise their platforms higher up, so they sit out of the water and don't cut into the wave

Comment

Working...
                            X