Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 02-17-2016, 09:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
I'm going to assume your hydrodyne is an inboard or jet drive. If it's an outboard or an i/o then ignore anything I'm about to say and please don't surf behind it!

I made one myself with great results. Two ramps to double the angle and get closer to 30 degrees (more like 36 but still closer to 30 than the 18 degree angle of only having 1). Then Velcro and a pool noodle and you are all set. Here's what my wake looks like:

https://youtu.be/7yozujChpR8
Yes, the Hydrodyne is a V-Drive. They went out of business in 1997 but it's a good boat.

That's a pretty nice looking wave, can you tell me how your boat is weighted in that picture, or how you weight it now? I'm pretty sure I saw your build thread but I can't find it. Was that on here or over in Wakeworld? Either way, it was a nice simple build.

I think I'm going to build mine out of foam and fiberglass for a couple of reasons. 1) the side of my boat isn't perfectly flat. If I use foam I can shape it to fit the side of the hull perfectly. 2) I'm going to mount it using velcro at first until I know it works. If it does, foam/glass construction should give me more options for mounting it differently. Probably either using a channel, or those heavy duty suction cups.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
My boat is weighted the same as for wakeboarding. Approx 2500# evenly weighted. 750s in the rear lockers, 300 in the ski locker, and another 750 in the bow.

That's a cool idea to use foam and fiberglass. I'd be interested to see how it works out so keep us posted!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Pro View Post
Wow! I would like to try that! Can you send me your parts list and a few pictures?

Thanks!

Jay
Here's a link to the original thread with better pics, details, and links for the products used.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=70442
Old 02-22-2016, 10:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Here's a link to the original thread with better pics, details, and links for the products used.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=70442
Got it, yes that's the thread I originally saw this on, not sure why I couldn't find it. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
My boat is weighted the same as for wakeboarding.
This is what I really want to do. My time wakebaording has decreased a lot, only because it takes so much work to setup the boat for surfing then switching to wakeboarding. If I can have one weight setup for everything that would be huge!

Quote:
That's a cool idea to use foam and fiberglass. I'd be interested to see how it works out so keep us posted!
Will do, My boats still in storage for another month or so. The lakes are still frozen here. But once I get it out I'll start working on this. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:09 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 X-15
Don't shoot the messenger - I love mine

I see a lot of negative comments about the surf shaper but I went ahead and bought one anyway. I worried about the velcro looking "redneck" on my boat but I am lucky that mine is black and white and it blends in. I used mine maybe 30 times this summer and never had it come off once. In fact, it takes a fair amount of effect to get the dumb thing off.

As for the wake, my X15 has a fair wake for surfing and takes a fair amount messing around with ballast and body positions. With this device I fill both ballast all the way and people just sit wherever they want and the wake for surfing is great.

I am a big fan after one season with it. Now next year the velcro may come off but right now I like it.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 01 Xstar
Arrow

This one is new to the market and looks pretty legit! Suction cup attachment and doesn't look like one of those homemade cutting board ones. It's on sale too!
Nauticurl.com
Attached Images