Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-29-2020, 01:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Did I hook it up wrong?

Good morning.

Yesterday I was changing my battery in my 2002 Xstar. It has 3 amps for the sound system. I took off the negative wires first then the positive. I dropped in the new battery, hooked up the positive and then the negative. When I hooked up the negative there was a quick pop.

My problem is. The radio comes on, but the amps don't have power. I need to get in there with my multimeter to check fuses, but I am baffled on what I did wrong. This is the correct way to change a battery in a car, but maybe I should have done it differently in my boat with these amps??

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-29-2020, 01:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft X46 2016 6.2
When you hooked the positive back on was it secured? Is this a duel battery system? Is there a perko switch installed? Chances are that there is a short with the negatives not making connection from the amps to the battery, start there. Hopefully a bad connection or a blown fuse from the amp to the battery.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

James, yes it is duel batteries with a Perko switch. When heard the pop, I pulled the cable back off, so maybe that blew a fuse. I'll do some checking today.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
If the switch was off, then nothing but the auto-bilge would have seen voltage when you connected the 2nd cable. If you did not reverse the polarity, id say an amp power cable may be rogue.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Ok, just to follow up. I reset all my breakers under the dash. Not sure what happened, but everything works fine now.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
That’s great news.