X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnE
    Super Moderator
    • Jan 2006

I can see -32 course skiing in a 214DD, no tower. Or mini tower, which is very rare. I don't see it being a regular occurrence in the X14V or DD with full tower. The tower will interfere with the rope. I do think the XT22 or 23 will give a similar recreational slalom to the X14V, but much wider. Fairly flat though when dialed in.
    Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

• jpwhit
      MC Fanatic
      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by 214skier View Post
      I dont course ski...but I free ski like I am running the course.

I love the two boat idea.. especially the idea of picking up a 97 prostar. Can you talk to my wife for me?
      If you're skiing the course, you haves to go through certain speeds and rope lengths. If you're not skiing the course, you can figure out the speed and rope length where the boat has the best wake and just ski that. I think the XT-25 will be fine if you're not skiing the course. Just experiment to find the speed and rope length that is best.

If you haven't ever skied a course, I'd recommend seeking out a chance to do it. Completely different experience than free skiing.
      -----------------------------------
      Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
      Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
      Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

• lopott
        TT Enthusiast
        • Jan 2014

I have owned both. Had the 2014 x30 come off the lift and totalled in storm after lift cable broke so upgraded to 2020 xt25. The x30 is much better slalom wake. smaller and softer. makes sense as the weight of the xt25 vs xt23. I freeski at about 31 mph but you will be jumping the wake. Love the new boat but still miss my X30. both had the 6.0L so a great side by side comparison

Comment

• eecyclone
          MC Devotee
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by lopott View Post
          I have owned both. Had the 2014 x30 come off the lift and totalled in storm after lift cable broke so upgraded to 2020 xt25. The x30 is much better slalom wake. smaller and softer. makes sense as the weight of the xt25 vs xt23. I freeski at about 31 mph but you will be jumping the wake. Love the new boat but still miss my X30. both had the 6.0L so a great side by side comparison
          Weight difference between XT23 and XT25 is only 200lbs so I doubt that makes much difference. Have you tried skiing at 32 or 33? I think the XT25 wake will flatten out at a little higher speed. On my XT22 below 30 is alright but 32+ is awesome.
          '18 XT22 w/5500 & Upgraded Premium Stereo
          (Previous- '08 X2 w/MCX)
          '16 F150 Platinum Screw 3.5L Eco 4x4

I can help with Klipsch Stereo modifications
          www.chesnuttech.com

Comment

• rbuss4
            MC Fanatic
            • Apr 2016

I ski 33 or 33.5 mph with my XT21 with 20% center tab and 15-25% center ballast to get the best wake. I would describe it as okay at best, but it's a cross-over boat that surfs very well; so I can't expect much more

Comment

• lopott
              TT Enthusiast
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by eecyclone View Post
              Weight difference between XT23 and XT25 is only 200lbs so I doubt that makes much difference. Have you tried skiing at 32 or 33? I think the XT25 wake will flatten out at a little higher speed. On my XT22 below 30 is alright but 32+ is awesome.
              Running exact profile. 200 lbs dry. with the bigger boat I would guess we add and store more gear on board plus the Covid weight , might be the length as well. was running center tab at 15. not sure I want faster.

OP - biggest complaint is the length of the XT25, we live on a large body of water so it works here, but also have a condo up north and no docks up there are built for this length boat. It hangs halfway off and is difficult to tie up. We sold with the solid prices but would most likely would have needed another 21 foot boat.

Best feature in comparison is the dockstar. makes the XT25 so much better with steering. I don't care about the reverse stuff as we have always had an inboard so used to that but the regular maneuvers are great and for me going forward will be a must have.

Comment

• 214skier
                TT Regular
                • Nov 2010

Thank you everyone for the excellent input here. Getting pretty serious about the XT25... willing to give up some flat wake for the extras: surfing, more cruise space etc., If it entirely disappoints on the ski wake, I will pick up a PS190 and do it all right. Clearly I need a big and little boat.

Stay tuned.

Comment

• 214skier
                  TT Regular
                  • Nov 2010

adding my review of the XT25

We have now had two solid 5 day trips with the new boat. I can not tell you how awesome this boat is. Here is my following comments, review based on key use case. Note we are coming from a 2014 PS214.. so from a size POV this is a big jump. This is my review for the first 20 hours.

Cruising—this boat is so comfortable. During our two trips we had 4 adults and 4 children. Some days we were out for at least 9 hours cruising, tubing, skiing and surfing. The boat is extremely comfortable and luxurious. It takes big waves comfortably — no longer do you have to throttle back to work through waves or heavy chop. Boat is mostly motionless at anchor despite kids and adults moving around. With 8 the boat does not feel crowded with plenty of personal space for everyone. Tremendous storage throughout the boat including personal items and boating gear.
                  May
                  waterskiing - second trip was the first time we were able to ski. My wife skied 15-off at 28 mph and found wake crossing very soft. I skied 35 mph / 35 off (ahead of rooster tail) and there was zero wake or bounce! I was absolutely blown away how smooth the cross was letting me push my turns more aggressively than I ever have in any other boat. From my view, this boat satisfies intermediate and advanced short-line skiers. Incredible for a 25’ boat pushing 5000 lbs.

surfing - this boat throws an enormous wave that provides for great cuts and a powerful pull. Computer easily adjusts for kids, beginners giving everyone a thrilling ride.

overall I am more excited about this boat than any we have own to-date. It seems (after 20 hours) it satisfies all sports and uses-cases this family may pursue.

Comment

• Huckelfin
                    MC Fanatic
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by 214skier View Post
                    From my view, this boat satisfies intermediate and advanced short-line skiers. Incredible for a 25’ boat pushing 5000 lbs.
                    Would love to see video of some ski action behind this thing.

Comment

• 214skier
                      TT Regular
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post

Would love to see video of some ski action behind this thing.
                      Next trip out, we will grab some vid

Comment

• JohnE
                        Super Moderator
                        • Jan 2006

Glad to hear how much this boat suits you. My only "caution" to readers is that 35 off/ 35 mph is not recreational skiing, generally. I am surprised in a good way to hear that 28 mph/ 15 off is soft. Heck that wasn't the case on my X14DD.
                        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

• 88 PS190
                          MC Addict
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jpwhit View Post

If you're skiing the course, you haves to go through certain speeds and rope lengths. If you're not skiing the course, you can figure out the speed and rope length where the boat has the best wake and just ski that.

I mean you can do that in the course too - unless you are skiing a tournament you can use practice mode and select speeds that aren't exactly 58Km/h, and you don't necessarily need to ski 15 22 28 - there are progressor ropes that have 18 and 25 off.

Those things are meaningless for a tournament score but not a bad gig for recreational course skiing.

Comment

Working...
                          X