Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro2000 View Post
Full trim up on surf side full down on op side.
have 2200# ballast under back seats.

Its not great but good enough to have fun.
I use the mission wake shaper and leave both tabs up. I messed around with offsetting my RPMs between the props and it did nothing worth note other than make me use more gas to maintain speed. If I have time this season i'm going to try and come up with a easy way to raise the platform like 6" so that the wife doesn't complain about it. she likes the low platform being pretty much in the water
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375
Old 06-05-2019, 02:39 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Maristar 280
thanks for the input, Glad to an X-80 string alive.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:01 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 x-80
I’m glad I found this thread and that it’s still alive!
I’m new here, been reading this forum for a while though. I’ve been considering an x-80 for a while now, was going to buy one a few years ago and it got sold. Now another one has come up for sale locally. It’s a 2006 twin 350 boat with 200 hours on it. I haven’t seen it in person yet, not sure what shape it’s in. I’m in Canada and it’s current price is 55,000 CAD (42,000 USD). I live on the ocean and there are also some lakes around here that I would take the boat to. So once in a while, we would take it into the ocean where it would see some chop. Most of the time we would go to a local lake. I do wakeboarding and also want to surf. I’m no pro at surfing. I have read some mixed reviews about the x-80’s ability to produce a good surf wake. I don’t want to have to have bags full of water sitting on my seats or on the floor. I’m open to adding ballast to ski lockers and wherever else in the back, as long as they are hidden.
In another thread, some people were recommending an x-45 or x-55 instead of an x-80 for water sports. I found one of each of those around here also. There’s a nice 2009 x-55 for sale with 132 hours on it and a Vortec 6.0 engine powering it. Boat is mint. The owner is form on the price of $68,000 CAD (51,000 USD). The owner tells me that the X-55 isn’t that great for surfing, it’s a better boat for Wakeboarding.
I also found a 2009 x-45 with 200 hours and the LY6 engine for the same price as the x-55.
So, my question is which way I should go. I know the x-80 is going to cost more in maintenance and in fuel, since it’s twin engine. But, it is currently much cheaper than the other two boats. I’m fairly confident that I would be able to pick it up for 50,000 CAD or maybe even less. So, is the x-80 going to do all I want it to do or am I going to be disappointed? It is 20,000 cheaper than the other two boats. But, at the same time, if I’m going to spend $50,000 on a boat that doesn’t do what I want, maybe I should spend a bit more and get one that will make me happy.
Please chime in with your opinions. I want to get some real world experience s fro. Actual owners.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:11 PM
MC Fanatic

"I live on the ocean and there are also some lakes around here that I would take the boat to. So once in a while, we would take it into the ocean where it would see some chop."
- X-80 100% for this section of your post.

"Most of the time we would go to a local lake. I do wakeboarding and also want to surf. Iím no pro at surfing. I have read some mixed reviews about the x-80ís ability to produce a good surf wake. I donít want to have to have bags full of water sitting on my seats or on the floor. Iím open to adding ballast to ski lockers and wherever else in the back, as long as they are hidden."
- There is a lot of room in storage for adding ballast. Easily enough to get "good enough" to "LARGE" wake for surfing but you There are several issue with the design that will prevent it from being a "Pro"quality wake. one huge thing is bringing the the swim platform up some to stop the massive platform from cutting into the wake. All that being said..if your bored one day and want to make a wake that looks like it would take out half of New York...you can probably load up around 3500-4000 lbs..stack it in the back quarter of one side of the boat and Laugh at the peasants as they try to avoid your wake >_>.....so you got that going for you. side note....seal the ski pylon hole....DO NOT forget this if you buy it...

"In another thread, some people were recommending an x-45 or x-55 instead of an x-80 for water sports."
- I would have to agree, but if you are the only person in your family that is set on getting a "pro" wake...and everyone else is just like whatever I just want to try it type people, then you may want to double check you priorities of are you buying the boat for yourself to improve your water sports to the next level or if you just want to have fun. I wanted a larger size boat but with great wake but decided i would take the biggest an sacrifice the wake quality since I like on Lake St Clair and its pretty much always 3 foot chop out here.

The owner tells me that the X-55 isnít that great for surfing, itís a better boat for Wakeboarding.
-the X-55 I believe is pretty much the same hull design as the X-80 hence the surf wave similarities. For wake boarding, the X-80 with no ballast seemed to have a sweet spot at 23mph and up where the wake cleans up well...that being said you can bring it down to about 20 and its still good but you get a little bit of softness with the wash directly on top of the wake. I had roman out behind my boat and he was doing wake to wake jumps at 20mph pretty easily after a couple tries and getting used to the fact that the boat absolutely does not care that you are making a cut. It does not give at all and give you very quick acceleration when cutting.

I know the x-80 is going to cost more in maintenance and in fuel, since itís twin engine. But, it is currently much cheaper than the other two boats. Iím fairly confident that I would be able to pick it up for 50,000 CAD or maybe even less. So, is the x-80 going to do all I want it to do or am I going to be disappointed? It is 20,000 cheaper than the other two boats.
- My personal opinion of the X-80 when i starting trying to figure out the wake was a little disappointing at first but then you drive it and it's just fun with the twins, It handles better than anything I have even driven. Everyone that steps foot on it loves it and the size bonus it has. Has an amazing hole shot even when loaded up with 8-10 people. It is a 9.5 beam vs 8.5?? on the others i think and that gives a lot of room. The Twin engine controls are awesome. If you have never user a twin engine with individual shift handles and throttles it takes a second to get used to but its a lot of fun. I would suggest you get a test ride if the owner will allow it.

But, at the same time, if Iím going to spend $50,000 on a boat that doesnít do what I want, maybe I should spend a bit more and get one that will make me happy.
[b]- If you are only interested in getting a wake that is on par with the top 5% of wakes then this is not your boat. The rating I would give it would probably be something around a 6-7/10. the boat can handle anything you want it too but will not break into the top end quality of some of the other models due too design.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 x-80
Well I had a look at both boats today. The x-55 was absolutely mint, it looked brand new. Only has 132 hours on it. I would almost feel bad taking it into the ocean. It does have a hose adapter at the back for flushing it out, I assume?
The x-80 was a little rough. The gel coat has a lot of stress fractures around the tower. The floor also had two cracks in it around the driver area. The owner was telling me that most MC's get that too. Anyone see that happen before on an X-80? It would be covered up by carpet, I just want to make sure its not a structural issue.
The outside has a couple not so great repairs to the fiberglass/gel coat. You can see the discoloration of where they fixed the dings from 30 feet away.
I didn't get a chance to take it for a drive, still working out a price with the owner.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:54 PM
MC Fanatic

The x-55 was absolutely mint, it looked brand new. Only has 132 hours on it. I would almost feel bad taking it into the ocean. It does have a hose adapter at the back for flushing it out, I assume?

- yea I assume it probably has the same thing the x-80 has with the hose connects at the back. My engines run on closed cooling loop to the flush out is pretty simple if its the same setup.

The x-80 was a little rough. The gel coat has a lot of stress fractures around the tower.

-Its a big tower, it will have what seems like a lot of movement when going fast but its solid. Mine does not have any stress cracks that I could tell. most of my cracks are around the exhaust from the hot water and a few on the floor. I would check to make sure all the bolts are tight but that's about it. I don't think its going anywhere

The floor also had two cracks in it around the driver area. The owner was telling me that most MC's get that too. Anyone see that happen before on an X-80? It would be covered up by carpet, I just want to make sure its not a structural issue.

-I have several hairline cracks on the floor near the driver area and on the giant ski locker door. also a giant gel coat repaired gouge like 1"...the repair was bad but who cares its white and covered by carpet.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:00 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Maristar 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proedge View Post
Well I had a look at both boats today. The x-55 was absolutely mint, it looked brand new. Only has 132 hours on it. I would almost feel bad taking it into the ocean. It does have a hose adapter at the back for flushing it out, I assume?
The x-80 was a little rough. The gel coat has a lot of stress fractures around the tower. The floor also had two cracks in it around the driver area. The owner was telling me that most MC's get that too. Anyone see that happen before on an X-80? It would be covered up by carpet, I just want to make sure its not a structural issue.
The outside has a couple not so great repairs to the fiberglass/gel coat. You can see the discoloration of where they fixed the dings from 30 feet away.
I didn't get a chance to take it for a drive, still working out a price with the owner.
- My maristar 280 does not have a tower but it does show signs of small surface cracks where the tower should be mounted to the hull.

- I too have small stress cracks on the floor near the drivers seat and ski well.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoRobb View Post
- My maristar 280 does not have a tower but it does show signs of small surface cracks where the tower should be mounted to the hull.
That's interesting, maybe it's just where a lot of the hull flex is at from bouncing around or just the way the gel coat fits in that area that causes it. I haven't noticed any cracking on mine at the tower mount points. In other news. I'm working on piecing together a ballast system for my boat. Want to get something installed that I can flip the switch on to fill. Surfing is great until you have to fill and/or empty 2800lbs of Sacs by portable pumps running of cig lighter plugs.

Does anyone have a picture of a x80(280) with a modified swim platform for surfing? Curious on the the size is. I was looking at raising my platform a bit but it would looks super dumb and ghetto with the way it forms to the hull. If I template up a smaller platform and had it raised like 3-4 inches I think that would look best and stay out of the wake. Another option would be to figure out a design to Created an adjustable riser/bracket that could be added or removed within a few minutes and be doable on the water. It would probably have to be some sort of flip up using Pins to keep it in place. Anyone here know an engineer that has a knack for this stuff?