Ballast settings for surfing/wakeboarding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keatonwakeboarder
    TT Newbie
    • Mar 2012

Ballast settings for surfing/wakeboarding?

I just purchased a 2010 X2 with 15 hours completely loaded for $55,000!
    I need to know what ballast/surftab/where people should sit settings I need.
    Some stuff to consider for settings, I have:
    The B.I.G. system
    Factory Ballast
    Surf Tabs
    and usually 5 or 6 people with me(100-180lbs)
    Attached Files
  • sand2snow22
    MC Maniac
    • Aug 2005

You purchased it or your Daddy purchased it?
    www.nwboatsports.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/NW-Bo...27792007306783

Comment

• CantRepeat
      • Jul 2008

Wrong boat to be wake surfing behind.
      -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• AZX9
        TT Enthusiast
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by sand2snow22 View Post
        Dude, chill out that's a little rude! That is of course unless you know this guy personally. I do realize that he took a dump on the other for sale Listing though. Just a little lead by example might be better.
        Last edited by AZX9; 03-17-2012, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Jeff d
          MC Devotee
          • May 2010

I've messed with a current generation ballast but just
          for wakeboarding.

I'd imagine filling the surf side tank + another 700-1,100 lbs should be pretty decent. Use the tabs and the KGB to lengthen the pocket until you're happy with it.

Comment

• vision
            MC Devotee
            • Jun 2006

Sink the boat (about 3000 lbs total) so that the ski platform is about 1" under water and the PF X-2 throws a nice wake. Gets a bad rap as a surf boat, but there are some folks who manage a decent surf wake. Add weight to one side until you think it is going to roll over, then add a little more! Watch the rollers over the side and watch your gas cap. Make sure the latter does not go under water! Have fun.
            2008 X star, 2005 X2

Comment

• sand2snow22
              MC Maniac
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by AZX9 View Post
              Dude, chill out that's a little rude! That is of course unless you know this guy personally. I do realize that he took a dump on the other for sale Listing though. Just a little lead by example might be better.
              You are correct, but it's also rude to lie.
              Last edited by sand2snow22; 03-18-2012, 01:41 AM.
              www.nwboatsports.com

Comment

• JLowder
                TT Enthusiast
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by sand2snow22 View Post
                So am I missing something here? I realize the guy crapped on the other thread but I really dont see the need to be so agressive. Besides, even if it is true that daddy bought it whats he big deal. While I work my butt off for my toys, I am not going to jump his crap for something so petty.

Comment

• sand2snow22
                  MC Maniac
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by JLowder View Post
                  So am I missing something here? I realize the guy crapped on the other thread but I really dont see the need to be so agressive. Besides, even if it is true that daddy bought it whats he big deal. While I work my butt off for my toys, I am not going to jump his crap for something so petty.
                  Jeesh, forgive me. I didn't know I was being so cruel. Yes, I could have rephrased the ? better.

After post #3 in this thread:

It's a simple sarcastic question for him:

Last edited by sand2snow22; 03-18-2012, 03:42 AM.
                  www.nwboatsports.com

Comment

• MattsCraft
                    MC Devotee
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                    Really... Totally not true, we surfed even with stock, better with sacks and people. My set up '09, stock + 400# rears and a 350# center. X2 will perfom well with 40% front & 60% rear weight distribution. For surfing, load your surf side, no center tab. The X2 is so terrible, you can surf with 2 people...lol The last 2 pics are wakeboarding, not me but I have seen guys do the same stuff behind my boat as Stars loaded etc.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• davidstan
                      MC Fanatic
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                      Someone wee wee in your Cheerios? Wow, anyway buy a x2 surf sac from wakemakers for surfside rear locker, 370 lb tube sac on seat, all stock ballast full with maybe 200 lb lead or fat brick in bow. Very surf able.
                      David
                      2008 X2 MCX
                      1999 Maristar 210 (sold)
                      1996 Bayliner 2050

Comment

• CantRepeat
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by davidstan View Post
                        Someone wee wee in your Cheerios? Wow, anyway buy a x2 surf sac from wakemakers for surfside rear locker, 370 lb tube sac on seat, all stock ballast full with maybe 200 lb lead or fat brick in bow. Very surf able.
                        No, I'm just giving some honest feedback.

Every X2 I've seen has a very small pocket. The best I've seen so far was pettee77's and he had it so grossly over weighted it was dangerous. Using lead as weight is a bad idea as well.

You can surf behind anything, just about. I'm just saying there are better choices if surfing is your goal.

Photos of waves are very deceptive. I've got photos that look like the surfer is 35 feet behind my boat when he's only 10.
                        -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• MattsCraft
                          MC Devotee
                          • May 2008

My boat does not need to be overloaded to surf, I am sure there are other boats that mak a bigger wave. (25,30,55) The origianl question was about an X2... this is the boat he has. My son, a fantastic surfer, surfed behind a 25 last summer and the boat was not set up correctly and said, Dad, please don't ever buy the 25, surf wave is total junk. I surfed a 25 also last summer, total stock and set up correctly and would say the wave is taller, but the pocket no better than my 2. Point is, setting up the boat is crucial regardless.

First pic - 4 people in the boat, Port Full, 400# port sac full, KGB full, 350# center full

Second pic - Same as above except no 350# center, wave/pocket is shorter

Third Pic - Same as 2, only 3 people in the boat

Comment

• Duane D
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Feb 2011

My '06 X2 surfs well enough with factory ballast for my wife to ride sans rope (on the goofy side), but was not enough for my 250 lbs to stay in the pocket on the port side. For Christmas my awesome wife got us the X2 package piggy back setup from wakemakers. The set comes with a 455# bag for each locker and one u-shaped 750# bow bag that fits under the seats in the bow. I can't wait to get the boat out of the barn and get it on the water with all the new weight. We should splash her in a couple of weeks right after Easter. I will try to get some good pics and report back how the wave looks on each side.

Comment

Working...
                            X