Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 07-20-2018, 05:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X10
Tower Spotting/Pitting?

Has anyone ever seen this before and if so how do I clean/fix/get rid of it. When I purchased the boat from the dealership last fall the tower was fine. Then when I picked it up beginning of June this year after they stored it for me I noticed all these marks on the tower, was told it was just hard water spotting as they had cleaned it a few days before and there was a big wind storm so it had gotten dirty and dried like that, although a damp rag wouldnít wipe it off. In my haste to get my new boat on the water I said fine Iíll just get some cleaner and do it myself, tried a couple different aluminum polishes and nothing. Contacted the dealer a couple weeks ago and they will look at it but not until the fall, which Iím fine with as it doesnít affect anything but my MCOCD.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2019, 11:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '14 X30 6.2L, '96 SkiRay Tournament(sold)
My '14 doing the exact same. Haven't tried anything yet.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
Are you close to saltwater?
Old 03-31-2019, 09:21 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 07 xstar
looks to be salt water damage
liberal use of WD40 will help
Old 03-31-2019, 10:35 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X25 w/Gen2 and Surf Pkg.
Mine has spots as well. Interested if you find something that can easily solve(remove) it....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2019, 10:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-45
I have the same issue on my tower (nowhere near salt water). I just ordered Woody Wax today actually and I am going to try it out. Below is a description from their webpage:

ANODIZED AMUMINUM AND METALS WITH ROUGH BLISTERS AND PITS:
For metals that have heavy pitting or corrosion, it may be necessary to leave WOODY WAX on overnight (it will not hurt the metals to leave on for long periods of time- it will only attack the corrosion and oxidation the longer it sits). Use a piece of fine bronze wool sprayed with WOODY WAX to rub corrosion spots. Corrosion will come right off the pitted area without hurting the metals. Two or Three applications may be necessary over a month or so to fully restore pitted metals.

http://www.woody-wax.com/fiberglass-...d-deck-wax.php

I'll let you all know what kind of results I get when I try it out this weekend.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccelia View Post
I have the same issue on my tower (nowhere near salt water). I just ordered Woody Wax today actually and I am going to try it out. Below is a description from their webpage:

ANODIZED AMUMINUM AND METALS WITH ROUGH BLISTERS AND PITS:
For metals that have heavy pitting or corrosion, it may be necessary to leave WOODY WAX on overnight (it will not hurt the metals to leave on for long periods of time- it will only attack the corrosion and oxidation the longer it sits). Use a piece of fine bronze wool sprayed with WOODY WAX to rub corrosion spots. Corrosion will come right off the pitted area without hurting the metals. Two or Three applications may be necessary over a month or so to fully restore pitted metals.

http://www.woody-wax.com/fiberglass-...d-deck-wax.php

I'll let you all know what kind of results I get when I try it out this weekend.
Woodys is the bomb. Let me know how this goes. I have this issue on mine.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Its that acid rain that your 8th grade teachers warned you about.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X25 2012 5.7 ILmor (sold), X25 2013 6.2 Ilmor (sold), X20 2015 6.2 (sold), X46 2016 7.4 Ilmor
I had this on a 2004 X10. I tried everything to remove and nothing worked so I traded it. Just curious, does this happen with the over tower cover, under tower or it doesn't matter. My 2004 had under tower and was located at Norris lake. Very hard water there. All boats since have had over tower covers and I have not noticed it on them.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-45
I believe mine is from towing a long distance and not wiping the bugs off promptly, although I could be totally wrong.