• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwroblew
    TT Enthusiast
    • May 2006

MCX knock sensors and drain plugs

I want to add ball valves on the block drain plugs were the knock sensors go. If I put a tee there, with the knock sensor on one end and the ball valve on the other, will the sensor still work properly?
    Boat - 2015 Prostar FOR SALE
    Ski - D3 X7
    Web Site: http://www.lakeswerve.com
  • Timr245
    TT Regular
    • Oct 2013

Well when I bout my 08 X-2 they were unplugged laying in the hull from winterization, and someone put the wrong older style gm sensors in the holes. Not wanting to mess with them til after the season I simply plugged them in and left em lay. Boat ran fine all summer so I assume doing what you want wont hurt a thing. I myself just did it, if I could figure out how to get a pic on here I'd show ya what I did.

Comment

• Timr245
      TT Regular
      • Oct 2013

Click image for larger version

Name:	drains.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	2327971

This what I did on both sides. ALL stainless ran about $110. You can skimp on valves if ya want, but that's not my thing.

Comment

• Rossterman
        MC Devotee
        • May 2012

I'd be careful modifying as folks have shown. Knock sensor retards the timing to prevent internal engine damage from pre-ignition. Making a change to location or laying in the bilge means you no longer have this protection for the engine.

In the old days, it wasn't uncommon for engine "pinging" to damage an engine if not addresse. Had a old neighbor that ran cheap gas in his mid 70s car and would hear it pinging all the way up the hill to his house. Told him he better run a higher octane gas but was too cheap to spend the $. Engine went ~ 2 years before it failed

Comment

• horseshoept
          TT Newbie
          • Sep 2013

I would be worried something like that would break off while in use.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk now Free

Comment

• carracer
            TT Regular
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Timr245 View Post
            [ATTACH]102556[/ATTACH]

This what I did on both sides. ALL stainless ran about $110. You can skimp on valves if ya want, but that's not my thing.
            Will you please post your parts list I am certainly interested in this idea. My concern is over the years the block threads will wear out and then what.... your idea will fix that concern.....

TKS..........

Comment

• FrankSchwab
              MC Devotee
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by carracer View Post
              My concern is over the years the block threads will wear out and then what
              Well, put Brass plugs in the holes. The likelihood of Brass wearing out the cast iron of the engine block is about nil. After 100 years of removing/replacing the brass plugs, they'll wear out and you can replace just the plugs.

I'm not a fan of these kinds of drain valves. When I pull my drain plugs, I normally have to stick a screwdriver in the hole to knock the scale loose before the engine will drain correctly. With a valve in place, you'd never be able to do that.
              1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

• FrankSchwab
                MC Devotee
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by carracer View Post
                My concern is over the years the block threads will wear out and then what
                Well, put Brass plugs in the holes. The likelihood of Brass wearing out the cast iron of the engine block is about nil. After 100 years of removing/replacing the brass plugs, they'll wear out and you can replace just the plugs.

I'm not a fan of these kinds of drain valves. When I pull my drain plugs, I normally have to stick a screwdriver in the hole to knock the scale loose before the engine will drain correctly. With a valve in place, you'd never be able to do that.
                1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

• mikeg205
                  MC Master Poster
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by FrankSchwab View Post

Frank - didn't know you were that old..
                  sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

• FrankSchwab
                    MC Devotee
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                    Frank - didn't know you were that old..
                    Get off'n my lawn! Go on, get outta here!

Dang whippersnappers!
                    1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

• mikeg205
                      MC Master Poster
                      • Aug 2011

Get off'n my lawn! Go on, get outta here!

Dang whippersnappers!
                      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

• AndrĂ©
                        MC Maniac
                        • Jul 2004

... When I pull my drain plugs, I normally have to stick a screwdriver in the hole to knock the scale loose before the engine will drain correctly. With a valve in place, you'd never be able to do that.
                        That X 100!!!
                        Keep skiing!!!

Comment

• Spork
                          MC Maniac
                          • May 2010

[ATTACH]102556[/ATTACH]

I guess buying a new engine when this one detonates to death is your thing...

I would be VERY concerned that the knock sensor is not operating as designed. With your knock sensor not properly mounted on the cylinder block the sensor can not detect vibrations thus can not adjust timing and reduce spark knock. Some knock sensors are mounted in different locations but the manufacturer tunes them for specific installations. This modification is a very bad idea...
                          /spĂ´rk/
                          a spoon-shaped eating utensil with short tines at the tip

Comment

• mikeg205
                            MC Master Poster
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by jwroblew View Post
                            I want to add ball valves on the block drain plugs were the knock sensors go. If I put a tee there, with the knock sensor on one end and the ball valve on the other, will the sensor still work properly?
                            I spent some time thinking about this... why add a valve? The cooling system is not under and real pressure. I addition the knock sensor does not need to be over torqued. I put a keep a little anti-sieze on threads and install and torque an 1/8th of a turn - just tight enough to keep it from turning itself out.

Always need a wrench to remove that 1/8th of a turn...

I also agree with James... adding the other parts can change resonance of engine block - thus allowing for sensing errors. The knock sensor is a very sensitive microphone...

I would not do it.

Comment

• Indyxc
                              TT Enthusiast
                              • Mar 2013

[ATTACH]102556[/ATTACH]

This can be a very bad idea. The resonance frequency of the knock sensor is matched to the knock frequency of the engine at that location.

Move the sensor away from the block, and essentially dampen the frequency with the stainless steel fittings, and you are possibly shifting the frequency of vibration at the knock sensor.

This is a very similiar knock sensor,

It all depends on how the frequency was shifted and dampened. I personally wouldn't do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X