X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlbertaSurfer
    MC Devotee
    • May 2013

Before the Theory, I was skiing a Kidder Velocity and Kidder Redline from back in the day. I used to compete as a kid, and got bit by the wakeboard bug and dropped it. Back then, I was skiing into the 28 off territory, at 34MPH due to my age.

When I bought my boat a few summers ago, I noticed the wake at 32MPH was nice so I pulled out the dried out old Velocity and had a blast. I called Ed at Insta-Slalom and bought a course at the end of the season and went looking for a ski.

I came upon the Theory, by both being honest of my ability and being a Ronix guy before hand. I like the Radar products, so I decided that's were I would look and didn't consider others based on the thinking that regardless of available technology, anything Radar made would be leaps and bounds ahead of the old Kidder sticks I had. The Theory has a soft, forgiving core and is .5" wider than the old Strada mold. The concave is less aggressive, with rails extending to between the feet, and it has a bigger flat spot to help correct body position mistakes and keep things moving. It turns really well, just not really fast. Radar calls it a 32 MPH ski and that seems about right. Trying to run the course faster and you really had to force things to keep from being mega late by ball 3, Could be that's just me though I really liked the Theory, and am glad I used it as a stepping stone to get back into course skiing after 16 some odd years, behind an XStar no less to boot! Like I mentioned, my Sister got back into skiing last year after riding the Theory, and while she never got out of the Jr course as a kid, she's close to a 28MPH pass this year on the big balls for the first time.

This Spring I moved into the Senate, after feeling like I progressed past the Theory last year. I picked up a blank Alloy Senate at the boat show for $375 CAD and used my Vector's I already had. I was excited to try it, so I laced it up for the first pull this year. Bad idea! I should have taken a few runs on the Theory first, because this devil was a different game altogether! The new style Senate is just slightly wider than the Vapor and the same shape. They end the edge to edge base at the widest part of the ski, so there's rails from your front foot up, as well as more rocker, to help keep things above water. You can really get aggressive and not worry about diving and getting hung up. When you get back on the handle, it's gone! I haven't skied a Vapor, but this is the fastest ski I've ever played on. That said, it's versatile too. If my course is being tormented by jet boats or tubes, I'll free ski in the canal and it seems to slow down. Having the target of a course ball will make things more hectic than they need to be, but relaxing carves are fun, stable and smile inducing as it feels effortless to really rail on it.

I'm happy with both skis, but I'm glad I chose the path I did too. Hopping on a more high performance machine was more likely to cause bad habits and make things worse than sparking a renewed enthusiasm for the sport I grew up on. I still don't have a full pass at 28 off, but I'm chipping away at it

Comment

• Juiced190
      MC Fanatic
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
      Before the Theory, I was skiing a Kidder Velocity and Kidder Redline from back in the day. I used to compete as a kid, and got bit by the wakeboard bug and dropped it. Back then, I was skiing into the 28 off territory, at 34MPH due to my age.

When I bought my boat a few summers ago, I noticed the wake at 32MPH was nice so I pulled out the dried out old Velocity and had a blast. I called Ed at Insta-Slalom and bought a course at the end of the season and went looking for a ski.

I came upon the Theory, by both being honest of my ability and being a Ronix guy before hand. I like the Radar products, so I decided that's were I would look and didn't consider others based on the thinking that regardless of available technology, anything Radar made would be leaps and bounds ahead of the old Kidder sticks I had. The Theory has a soft, forgiving core and is .5" wider than the old Strada mold. The concave is less aggressive, with rails extending to between the feet, and it has a bigger flat spot to help correct body position mistakes and keep things moving. It turns really well, just not really fast. Radar calls it a 32 MPH ski and that seems about right. Trying to run the course faster and you really had to force things to keep from being mega late by ball 3, Could be that's just me though I really liked the Theory, and am glad I used it as a stepping stone to get back into course skiing after 16 some odd years, behind an XStar no less to boot! Like I mentioned, my Sister got back into skiing last year after riding the Theory, and while she never got out of the Jr course as a kid, she's close to a 28MPH pass this year on the big balls for the first time.

This Spring I moved into the Senate, after feeling like I progressed past the Theory last year. I picked up a blank Alloy Senate at the boat show for $375 CAD and used my Vector's I already had. I was excited to try it, so I laced it up for the first pull this year. Bad idea! I should have taken a few runs on the Theory first, because this devil was a different game altogether! The new style Senate is just slightly wider than the Vapor and the same shape. They end the edge to edge base at the widest part of the ski, so there's rails from your front foot up, as well as more rocker, to help keep things above water. You can really get aggressive and not worry about diving and getting hung up. When you get back on the handle, it's gone! I haven't skied a Vapor, but this is the fastest ski I've ever played on. That said, it's versatile too. If my course is being tormented by jet boats or tubes, I'll free ski in the canal and it seems to slow down. Having the target of a course ball will make things more hectic than they need to be, but relaxing carves are fun, stable and smile inducing as it feels effortless to really rail on it.

I'm happy with both skis, but I'm glad I chose the path I did too. Hopping on a more high performance machine was more likely to cause bad habits and make things worse than sparking a renewed enthusiasm for the sport I grew up on. I still don't have a full pass at 28 off, but I'm chipping away at it

A great write up and will be truly appreciated by many. I think at this point the Theory may be a better choice for me. I think I was afraid it would be a waste of money and I would need something with better performance sooner rather than later. Your write up helped me realize I'm probably overestimating my ability. Thank you very much for taking the time to go that in depth.

Comment

• SpokaneSteve
        TT Enthusiast
        • Feb 2014

2014 versus 2015 Senate

Off topic a bit but does anyone know if the 2014 Senate is the same shape as the 2015 Senate?

Thanks, Steve.

Comment

• AlbertaSurfer
          MC Devotee
          • May 2013

Yep. 'tis. The only change is the Lithium option.

The Senate changed in 2014 with the release of the Vapor. I suppose we'll see if they upgrade it again along side the already revamped Vapor, but I doubt it.

Comment

• Juiced190
            MC Fanatic
            • Aug 2009

Bump, still searching. Someone has to have an old 68" Theory blank laying around?

Comment

• TeamAllen
              TT Enthusiast
              • Jun 2012

I have a Theory I may part with. I got it for my wife. She didn't like the boots and wasn't able to get up. She doesn't like too much change. She went back to her Connelly with a RTP and did just fine. So she never even rode it. I will know in a couple of weeks. I think it is a 2010 67" with double Vector boots?
              Jason and Matt talk through the 2010 Radar Theory ski

I ride a Senate C.
              Last edited by TeamAllen; 09-07-2015, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Slvr Bulit
                MC Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

sorry to hijack your thread but I'm selling my senate if your still looking.

Comment

• Juiced190
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Slvr Bulit View Post
                  sorry to hijack your thread but I'm selling my senate if your still looking.
                  If it was a 67" I'd be all over that deal. Any advice on the 2" difference? I'm about 5'7", 175 lbs

Comment

• Juiced190
                    MC Fanatic
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                    I have a Theory I may part with. I got it for my wife. She didn't like the boots and wasn't able to get up. She doesn't like too much change. She went back to her Connelly with a RTP and did just fine. So she never even rode it. I will know in a couple of weeks. I think it is a 2010 67" with double Vector boots?
                    Jason and Matt talk through the 2010 Radar Theory ski

I ride a Senate C.
                    This may be exactly what I need. Please contact me about price and size of bindings. Thx

Comment

• Slvr Bulit
                      MC Fanatic
                      • Aug 2014

If it was a 67" I'd be all over that deal. Any advice on the 2" difference? I'm about 5'7", 175 lbs
                      I think you want to be on the biggest ski that you can turn. I am 5'10" 200lbs and I always skied on a 67" before I bought this one. I can tell you this ski is amazing.

Comment

• TeamAllen
                        TT Enthusiast
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Juiced190 View Post
                        This may be exactly what I need. Please contact me about price and size of bindings. Thx
                        PM sent. I'm not sure what the binding size is. I will be able to check out the ski next weekend and get more info. and pictures.

Comment

• Juiced190
                          MC Fanatic
                          • Aug 2009

Yes, please do, I'd like to buy asap. Thx

Comment

Working...
                          X