Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 05-25-2021, 01:07 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft X-10
2001 x10 ballast upgrade

I am in the midst of a boat rebuild, while I have the engine and tranny out of the boat I figure itd be a good time to upgrade my stock aerator system to reversible pumps.

My main question...... has anyone successfully used the existing thru hulls in the rear of the boat near the drain plug for reversible pumps?
It currently has 3 aerator pumps mounted directly to the stern near the plug (picture attached shows the location) . I am wanting to get rid of these pumps and instead of drilling new holes in the boat I would like to use the existing holes.
If I were to go this route, is it wise to run hose from the thru hull into a shut off valve near the engine?(for clearance) Or is it better to try an use the shut off valves directly connected to the thru hulls? (How it is usually done when installing on the bottom of the hull) pump location will obviously be in spots that are easy to access, the shut off valve is my main concern here.

Or should I forget that idea and drill holes in the bottom of my boat and plug the existing ports near the plug?
Attached Images