Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 04:05 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: n/a
storing boat during summer

So I finally took the plunge and bought my first Mastercraft (93 PS 205). Got it right at the end of the season, so it went straight to the marina for winterizing.

Been racking my brain about storing my boat during the May-Sept season. A lift could be an option, but the water can be a little shallow at times. I would rather not have to shell out $4000-5000 for a lift, but I assume that is the preferred way to store it.

My other thought is get a nice cover (like Evolution) and just store it in the water all summer. Either use mooring whips or I can tie it off at an angle from the front of the dock to shore.

My only concern with storing it in the water is this is at our cabin 4 hrs away. We generally make trips back and forth throughout the summer (usually about 2 weeks in between). With an Evolution cover the inside should stay pretty dry. I assume the bilge pump can just be left to AUTO. My fear would be what if the bilge pump failed and water some how got in.

Any insight from people that have their boats at their cabin and they are not there all summer? Any worries keeping it in the water all summer?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2019, 04:10 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2008 X14, w/ LY6 400HP w/ 1.22 Ratio Tran
Congrats on the boat. Great platform to start with. I had mine for 17 years. Post pics if you got em?

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 01-17-2019, 04:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 NXT22 Prior 2002 Maristar 230 VRS
No trailer?
Old 01-17-2019, 04:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205 (Sold), 2006 x15 w/ mcx
I'm not sure what your ramp situation is but I would highly recommend storing it on the trailer and dropping it in when you get to the cabin then pulling it back out before you leave. I'd say that what majority of us on here do, the next largest group are the ones with private docks that store on a lift. Which is also a great option just another large purchase. There's really no way I could see myself leaving my boat in the water all summer and only seeing it for 2 weeks at a time, also this option will lead to the quickest deterioration of the boat condition and has your highest risk for issues. If you maintain a high level of MCOCD like most of us then you would spend a lot of time trying to get the water line off and cleaning the hall of your boat at the end of season also and you'll never get it back to perfect condition.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Agreed with DM. Don't store in the water. Numerous issues with that you can find out about on this very forum.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 XT23, previous was 2004 XSTAR, first was a prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbeck View Post
I'm not sure what your ramp situation is but I would highly recommend storing it on the trailer and dropping it in when you get to the cabin then pulling it back out before you leave. I'd say that what majority of us on here do, the next largest group are the ones with private docks that store on a lift. Which is also a great option just another large purchase. There's really no way I could see myself leaving my boat in the water all summer and only seeing it for 2 weeks at a time, also this option will lead to the quickest deterioration of the boat condition and has your highest risk for issues. If you maintain a high level of MCOCD like most of us then you would spend a lot of time trying to get the water line off and cleaning the hall of your boat at the end of season also and you'll never get it back to perfect condition.
Ya I agree I don't have a lift but have a dock only time I leave in the water is when we stay there and I still am paranoid every morning when I walk outside. We do have a good ramp area though and it is on the property.

2019 LONE STAR MASTERBASH!!!!
Old 01-17-2019, 04:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbeck View Post
This is the advice you need to listen to. Storing it in the water = bad scum line.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: None
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
I would try and make a lift work. Otherwise my opinion put it in when you’re there and pull it when you leave. To many variables being hours away. Better safe than sorry. Others may think differently.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 Prostar 205 (Sold), 2006 x15 w/ mcx
I'm not sure what the storage situation is like near your lake but I store my boat in a boat storage facility, fully enclosed 12'x34' bay and I think my rate is $550/yr. I know that's cheaper than most areas but my point is this type of storage is usually reasonably priced, safe/secure, and I don't have to worry about towing long distance every weekend or my boat sitting in the water/sun.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC XT23 2018 5500 GDI
I agree with the comments above, you dont want to leave on the dock. If you have to leave it in the water, could you put in an anchor with a mooring ball? ( cheaper and less maintenance than a lift) If putting it on your trailer is easy, that is the best option.