Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 07-20-2018, 11:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft X26 2016 6.2L
Angry Problem with X26 Wave Getting Smaller

I own a 2016 Mastercraft X26 6.2L with 3000lb ballast. I ride with ballast settings 100-50-100 and trim tabs 0-25-60 at 11.0 mph. We got the boat last year with 3 hours and it would put up a great wave even with just 2 or 3 people on the boat and having no issues staying on it. I put a little over 100 hours on it last summer.

Side note before you read all this I am fairly advanced with watersports, not to brag but just so you know its not a rider error hahahha. I can 360, pop shuv and 360 shuv on wakesurf and can whirly, raley, 540 etc on wakeboard.

This summer started out well with no issues but every now and then when I took it out it seemed like the wave was not as big as usual. (it is not water depth, I always ride in 25ft+) There is about 150 hours on the boat now and the more and more we ride the more often the small/no wave would occur. It is at the point now where the last 4-5 times I have been on it (full tank of gas) you cannot stay on the wave without pumping the entire time or riding a few feet behind the boat.

I am not sure what is wrong I have checked the trim tabs and they are going down and the ballast are full but the wave is not there. Is it possible the tabs are being pushed back one the boat reaches speed? I don't know what else it could be. Any advice would help. This also is the same for the wakeboarding wave. When I get to 23mph it seems like a lot of water is shooting up in the air towards the platform and there is a very small washed up wave to ride on.

I have two neighbors with X26's as well but 2017 models. One bought his last year and also saying his wave is hit or miss this summer and one bought his this summer and his wave has been beautiful like my first year of having it. It almost seems like the performance decreases overtime which makes me think there is some sort of issue with the trim tabs. I dont know what else it would be, please let me know what yall think or your thoughts! Any suggestions would help I am willing to try new settings or whatever! Thanks
Old 07-20-2018, 11:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2019 XT22
What’s the water depth?

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2019!!!!!!

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...d.php?t=100065

2019 XT22-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 07-20-2018, 11:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 MasterCraft X26
I have a 2016 X26 with about 270 hours on it, and the wave will certainly wash out over the course of a couple of riders. Was resetting the battery switch and that would help return the wave back to normal but the amount of times I had to do was increasing.

My understanding from what I was told by dealership is that if you are not constantly charging the batteries, all kinds of things can happen with the tabs/lights/dash. The only thing that has helped a little is that I also have 1000 lbs of lead weight in the boat I can move around when starting to have more issues. When it is on, the wave is awesome but I have had the trim tab adjust to a different position with the go home setting to list the boat with just two people in it.

Needless to say, my boat was put on a trailer this morning and sent back to dealer. Hopefully they will be fixing the electrical issue which also knocked out the starter (starts during boot sequence and shuts off immediately) last weekend.

Interested to see what others have to say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 11:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
How do you know the ballast is full?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:21 PM
TT Newbie

"What’s the water depth?

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten"

I live on a big lake and the water depth is always 25ft+
Old 07-20-2018, 11:23 PM
TT Newbie

"How do you know the ballast is full?

Ive checked them. You can lift up the back seats and look at the bags and if you pull open the compartment on the floor you can see the center ballast
Old 07-20-2018, 11:29 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMLX26 View Post
I have a 2016 X26 with about 270 hours on it, and the wave will certainly wash out over the course of a couple of riders. Was resetting the battery switch and that would help return the wave back to normal but the amount of times I had to do was increasing.

My understanding from what I was told by dealership is that if you are not constantly charging the batteries, all kinds of things can happen with the tabs/lights/dash. The only thing that has helped a little is that I also have 1000 lbs of lead weight in the boat I can move around when starting to have more issues. When it is on, the wave is awesome but I have had the trim tab adjust to a different position with the go home setting to list the boat with just two people in it.

Needless to say, my boat was put on a trailer this morning and sent back to dealer. Hopefully they will be fixing the electrical issue which also knocked out the starter (starts during boot sequence and shuts off immediately) last weekend.

Interested to see what others have to say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is interesting because usually the first 30 seconds after the first run the wave seems normal but after that it goes flat. I would not think it would be a battery or electrical issue. I reset the profiles before and that doesn't seem to help maybe I will try resetting the battery but I feel like that would only get me another 30 seconds of good wave. I will get it checked out for sure. I am resistant to buying lead or an extra fat sack just because I rode it a whole summer and never needed one because the wave was awesome. So now that I know it can ride like that stock, I feel like it should stay that way. If it continues I guess I will have to haha

Last edited by alp716; 07-21-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, 2007, 8.1L
Could be the same issue being discussed in the thread below where reverse is pulling up the tabs?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=86424&page=2
Old 07-24-2018, 10:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2018 XT25, Ilmor 6000
we have an 2018 XT25 and noticed the same thing. checked the ballast bags in the back and noticed they keep losing their fill. despite what the computer screen says. so, after each pull, i override the ballast and fill them all once or twice.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
I would bet that your wave disappears after youíve hit reverse picking up a rider. When you reverse, tabs retract then go back out when you go forward. It results in the tabs being farther out than the setting.
Possible fixes:
1 donít put boat in reverse if possible.
2 if notice no push, lower the surf tab setting (like 60 to 50)
3 next time you stop retract all tabs to 0 and hold for a few seconds. Reselect profile and should be good.

Tags
small wave, wakeboard, wakesurf, wave issue, x26