• Aug 2004

Anybody up for watching the Oscars?

apps-Tomato, Mozzaarella, and Basil Bruschetta

1 (32-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
    1 cup fresh basil leaves, washed and spun dry
    4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    6 cloves garlic, peeled
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 large French baquettes, sliced 1-inch thick (about 36 slices)
    1 1/2 pounds fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    In the bowl of a food processor, add drained tomatoes, 1 cup basil leaves, olive oil and 2 cloves garlic. Pulse until smooth, but somewhat chunky. Season with salt and pepper.

On a baking sheet, line up baguette slices. Toast in oven for about 3 minutes or until light golden brown. Working quickly, rub the remaining garlic on the toasted side of each slice and then lay a piece of mozzarella cheese on top. Place bread back in oven and melt cheese slightly, about 45 seconds. Remove from oven and spread one tablespoon of the tomato mixture on each piece.

Place bruschetta on decorative platter and garnish with basil leaves.

Main dish-Bollito Misto

4 pounds beef brisket or top round
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    4 cups beef stock or broth
    About 4 cups water, enough to cover the beef
    2 onions, peeled and quartered
    4 celery stalks, cut in 1/2
    1 bay leaf
    4 carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
    1 pound small boiling potatoes
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Gorgonzola Sauce, recipe follows
    Salsa Verde, recipe follows

Heat a large braising pot over medium-high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Sear the beef, browning it on both sides, about 5 minutes a side. Carefully add the stock and enough water to just cover the meat. Add the onion, celery, and bay leaf. Bring the liquid to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 hour. Add the carrots and potatoes and cook until the meat is tender, about another hour. Carefully lift out the meat, place on a cutting board, and cover with foil. Strain the vegetables from the stock. Discard the celery, onion, and bay leaf. Arrange the carrots and potatoes on a platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Continue cooking the stock uncovered over medium heat until reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the meat against the grain, on an angle. Arrange the meat alongside the carrots and potatoes on the platter. When the stock has reduced, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and transfer to a gravy dish. Serve the Bollito Misto with the gravy and bowls of the Gorgonzola Sauce and the Salsa Verde.

Gorgonzola Sauce:
    4 ounces Gorgonzola
    2 cups mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Put all the ingredients in a food processor and combine until smooth. Serve in a side dish.

Yield: 1 1/4 cups

Spicy Salsa Verde:
    1 cup chopped parsley leaves, about 1 bunch
    2 shallots, chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped capers
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons hot sauce, or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
    1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
    In a bowl, stir all the ingredients together until combined. Serve in a side dish.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Side-Spicy Baked Macaroni

Salt
    1 pound elbow macaroni pasta
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 pound assorted mushrooms, quartered
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained of excess liquid
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/2 cups bread crumbs
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/3 cup
    1/4 cup Romano, plus 1/3 cup
    2 tablespoons butter, softened, plus 2 tablespoons
    12 ounces mozzarella cubed (about 2 cups)
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and the onion is golden, about 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, spinach, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 1/4 cup Romano. Spread the softened butter in a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish and sprinkle half of the bread crumb mixture inside the dish to coat.

In a large bowl combine the vegetable mixture with the cooked macaroni, cubed mozzarella, the remaining Parmesan and Romano cheeses, and the nutmeg. Spoon into the prepared baking dish, top with the remaining bread crumb mixture, and dot the top with the remaining butter. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes.

Oh yeah, a few martinis too!
    2002 Blue Prostar 197, 0 Flex Tower, Perfect Pass, and The Preditor-ADHD Skier

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :

Comment

• André
      MC Maniac
      • Jul 2004

Thanks Martha!
      Keep skiing!!!

Comment

• tex
        MC Platinum
        • Aug 2004

I've never served time.

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :

Comment

• BriEOD
          MC Platinum
          • Jul 2004

MarkP needs to put some recipes on here. That man can cook!
          Brian

Former #2: 2000 ProStar 205

Former #1: 1987 ProStar 190

sigpic

Comment

• MarkP
            MC Addict
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by BriEOD
            MarkP needs to put some recipes on here. That man can cook!
            What do you need my friend?!! Say the word.......

The wife calls me abrasive
            The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
            But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo

Comment

• BriEOD
              MC Platinum
              • Jul 2004

What's the pizze recipe?
              Brian

Former #2: 2000 ProStar 205

Former #1: 1987 ProStar 190

sigpic

Comment

• east tx skier
                MC Hero
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by tex
                She loves wine too!
                My favorite on the Food Network. Bar none.
                Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.

Comment

• tex
                  MC Platinum
                  • Aug 2004

Many people went away from the house tonight with happy tummys and happy livers!

Comment

• Hoosier Bob
                    MC Platinum
                    • Aug 2004

Bump! Sorry Tex but I have not made a darn thing! This weekend all kids are home and I am feeling lucky! I may just give it a shot! Thanks for the recipes!
                    BAREFOOTING: I knew it was gonna hurt when I felt my arse cheeks hit me in the back of my head!

!UOY NAHT RETSAF MA I TUB KNURD EB YAM I

Comment

• tex
                      MC Platinum
                      • Aug 2004

1 18" cedar plank, soaked in water 24 hours
                      1 - 2 1/2 to 3lb Salmon Fillet, rinsed and patted dry. Place on wet cedar
                      plank, flesh side up.
                      6 oz Contadina fresh pesto (in grocer's fresh refrigerated pasta section)
                      1/2 cp softened butter or margarine
                      1 t. lemon juice
                      1 T. Dehydrated onion flakes
                      Rough ground black pepper to taste

Combine pesto, butter, and lemon juice until well blended. Generously
                      spread pesto-butter on fillet. Sprinkle generously with rough ground black
                      pepper and dash of dehydrated onion. Place planked fillet on Weber kettle
                      grill over very hot charcoal briquettes (450 degrees) and cover. Close
                      vents 1/2 way and don't open for 15 minutes. Check for doneness in middle
                      of fillet...pink and flaky. Butter will melt away and leave a beautiful
                      pesto crust over fish. This also makes a terrific appetizer served chilled on
                      crackers with "shmear" of cream cheese. Mmmm.

I am trying this tonight. I will let you know in about an hour.

Comment

• tex
                        MC Platinum
                        • Aug 2004

I just went out to check the salmon...it was black and on fire...Wild Salmon at $18.00 a lb. Let's just say I dropped numerous F-bombs and a $20 dollar bill went into the yard by the way of a spatula!
                        By luck I spent $40 at the market and I can go by one of my safe recipes. The wife has about had it with me! Anybody got a sofa?

Comment

• Upper Michigan Prostar190
                          MC Master Poster
                          • May 2005

aw man, sorry to hear that Tex. That sucks. well, I have been there dude. Sometimes grilling just goes bad. I am very generous with the F word myself and let it fly way too easily. If you can still drive, you can crash at my sofa. or Hoosier Bobs. His stinky gym socks might be lying around though......

BTW, I would have flung it into the yard too, just out of frustration. I am proud of you for that, and I am not joking either. Ya know, one time at work, my boss' brother hit his thumb with a hammer and got SOOOOO pi$$sed off that he busted a door right off the freakin hinges....I was proud of him wishing he was my own son! I know the feeling, and you have to let it out! Dont keep it bottled up.
                          Last edited by Upper Michigan Prostar190; 04-21-2006, 10:08 PM.
                          Skidog, dont forget to take your Geritol.

Originally posted by Upper Michigan Prostar190
                          On a different note: I like LOTS of snort comin' out of the hole.

Comment

• stevo137
                            MC Maniac
                            • Jul 2004

Tex, I'm sorry man, at your expense, I am LMAO!

Comment

• tex
                              MC Platinum
                              • Aug 2004

I would hope that everyone is LMFAO at me! By the time I was typing...I was lmfao!

Comment

• bcampbe7
                                MC Addict
                                • Jul 2004

That sucks Tex! However, picturing you in the yard with a flaming grill in the background flinging a torched salmon gave me a good laugh.

I was playing golf with a guy that hit a bad drive and in one motion in his backswing snapped his driver over his knee. He had about a 1/4" by 4" piece of graphite go through his pinky finger.
                                Last edited by bcampbe7; 04-22-2006, 12:19 AM.
                                If my words don't make sense, try reading them backwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X