Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2019, 11:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 04 X7
04 197 transmission question.

Today while shifting from forward to neutral then into reverse, while pulling up to a down skier I heard a loud clank. Put in neutral then reverse again, same loud clank. You could also feel the clank as it was shifted into reverse. Put boat into neutral, shut off engine, loaded skier, pulled in rope and thought it would be best to head to the dock. Drove all the way to dock with no issues at 30-40 mph. Once close to dock tried shifting into reverse to see if any issues. At this point everything seemed normal. Continued to shift from forward to neutral and reverse several times, all seemed normal. Unloaded the crew at dock and prepared to load onto trailer. While loading onto trailer the boat is now going noticeably faster when engaged into forward. I reversed off the trailer to loop around and load again to test and see if it was going faster again. The boat is definitely going faster than before at engagement with same rpms. Although the transmission is going in and out of both forward and reverse fine, something doesn’t seem right. This faster forward motion has me concerned. Please share any similar issues or advice. Thank you

Last edited by Juiced190; 09-02-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Anyone have a transmission for sale?

Last edited by Juiced190; 09-05-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
check trans fluid? maybe one of the clutch plates got damaged? worth having a peek at the dipstick to start...
Old 09-03-2019, 06:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP... SOLD
The clanking and engagment would seem to indicate a possible problem with the damper plate. The damper plate is supposed to, well dampen the torque between going between shift engagements. The springs can collapse and or the plate can crack causing issues with engagement and noise. The noises range from a clanging to scraping or rattling sounds.

https://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1100

And of course another possibility would be an internal issue with the transmission.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:23 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
The clanking and engagment would seem to indicate a possible problem with the damper plate. The damper plate is supposed to, well dampen the torque between going between shift engagements. The springs can collapse and or the plate can crack causing issues with engagement and noise. The noises range from a clanging to scraping or rattling sounds.

https://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1100

And of course another possibility would be an internal issue with the transmission.
Could a damaged damper plate affect the speed of transmission after engagement? How difficult is it to remove the transmission, zf hurth? Thank you for you response.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP... SOLD
I've only dealt with one personally and it wasn't mine but a friends. On ours the symptom was nearly identical. A rattling sound in neutral and a tendency for the prop to rotate erratically while idling. This was on a older Correct Craft Mustang which is a straight inboard with the engine in the middle of the boat. Not sure how it would effect speed on your boat.

On that boat we removed the prop, disconnected the coupler at the back of the trans, slide the coupler/prop shaft back as far as we could then unbolted the trans from the engine and slide the trans back until it was free of the engine. We were able to then replace the damper while everything was still in the boat. I don't think you'll get away with this on a vDrive unless you have a shop with a crane or some other lifting device that will reach into the boat as the weight is going to be much greater than the small trans that was in the Correct Craft Mustang.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:56 AM
MC Fanatic

My boat is an 04 prostar 197/X7. It is a direct drive. Iím sure several people have replaced their transmissions here on their prostars. Should be a similar process and any and all information is welcome and should be very helpful.

Tags
197, prostar, transmission