Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 07-28-2020, 12:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
Bent strut, prop shaft and prop

Update: I decided to fix this myself. The pictures and write up start on post #13

Just curious on some opinions. On July 5th I hit something at 8mph pulling a kid on a kneeboard. Long story short, my boat is broken. It is a 2004 Maristar 210.

I dropped it off at a Mastercraft dealer on July 6th and they told me it would be done on July 17th. For that timeframe, I decided it would be worthwhile to file an insurance claim and just get it done in 2 weeks instead of doing it myself. I also asked them about adding ballast pickups while they were glueing on the underside of the boat.

I called every few days because I didn't get a quote yet. Finally on July 14th they said they haven't gotten pricing yet and can't recommend a prop yet because no one is getting back to them. They claim they talked to Mastercraft and they said you cannot add thru hull fittings on this boat. I told them to ignore the prop and ballast pickups.

I emailed Eric at OJ props on 7/16 back and forth and he had a prop recomendation and pricing we could agree on within a few hours. They had the prop on my door on 7/20 with a shirt in the box. Couldn't be happier or recommend Eric more!!

Back to the dealer. On 7/27 I finally got a formal quote and they told me it would be 10-15 days before the parts would be in. There is apparenty also fiberglass damage that will have to be repaired.

I guess my question after venting........Would Mastercraft say you can't add Ballast pickups??

Last edited by toddvdh; 08-04-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:25 PM
TT Regular

I don't know how to resize images so here is the drop box links.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cojb49qbdd..._8765.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3pe9eby73..._8764.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bouhqiy4wg..._8766.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2t5kwc60xl..._8767.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/abv9rrl5lo..._8771.jpg?dl=0
Old 07-28-2020, 12:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
I can't answer the question but ohhhhh shiiiiiitt. That's a wallhanger!!
Old 07-28-2020, 12:35 PM
TT Regular

Ya. Eric said not repairable. Lol.

We swam back in the bubbles behind the boat because itís a known 15í channel that Iíve been driving almost every weekend in summer for 5 years, and there was nothing there. I was hoping to find a giant snapping turtle or something cool.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Dealer prolly does not want likability of drilling thru ur hull.

Had to be a rock or tree trunk... thats a lot of damage.

Too bad dealer so damn slow..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2020, 02:33 PM
TT Regular

Well, I picked the boat up unfixed yesterday. They finally ordered parts on Tuesday and on Wednesday when I called to get a date the parts are back ordered at least 3 weeks. They wouldn’t go to anyone but their usual supplier so I told them I’m not paying anything and taking my boat. I guess I learned my lesson and will never be going to them again.

I contacted waterskis.com and they have all my parts in stock. They are shipping them and I’ll have them Saturday. Also ordered a flex gland seal from OJ props that will be here Monday.

Both Midwest Water Sports/waterski.com and OJ have been phenomenal to work with and answered all my questions.

There are some great write ups on how to replace strut, shaft and align them on this site. I’m going to tackle this myself next week. Thanks to everyone (especially waterlogged) who gives great advice in some of the other repair threads.

Last edited by toddvdh; 08-04-2020 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Wrong name
Old 07-30-2020, 02:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddvdh View Post
Well, I picked the boat up unfixed yesterday. They finally ordered parts on Tuesday and on Wednesday when I called to get a date the parts are back ordered at least 3 weeks. They wouldnít go to anyone but their usual supplier so I told them Iím not paying anything and taking my boat. I guess I learned my lesson and will never be going to them again.

I contacted waterskis.com and they have all my parts in stock. They are shipping them and Iíll have them Saturday. Also ordered a flex gland seal from OJ props that will be here Monday.

Both Midwest Motorsport/waterski.com and OJ have been phenomenal to work with and answered all my questions.

There are some great write ups on how to replace strut, shaft and align them on this site. Iím going to tackle this myself next week. Thanks to everyone (especially waterlogged) who gives great advice in some of the other repair threads.
You're mostly there now with the willingness to do the work.

Post up if I or anyone else here can throw you a bone.

Call if you like.

2 Peter 1:3Ė8
Old 07-30-2020, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
The hardest part is removing strut... ratchet strap heat and patience.. if you get frustrated or tired stop.. you will be amazed how easy but timely the job is.

Dont forget the adhesive for the strut plate.

Good luck. And post lots of pics please

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2020, 06:27 PM
TT Regular

It only took me 40 minutes To get the strut off including unbolting it. So I’m at least started.

I have 5200 coming with the strut but might substitute something easier to work with as suggested in other threads. The cutlass bearing is already in the strut I ordered.

I am pretty mechanical so not too worried, just disappointed that I didn’t tackle it myself 3 1/2 weeks ago. I’m up at the cabin tonight until Monday so I’m pretty excited to come home Sunday night and start working.

Thanks guys. I’ll be sure to take pictures and make a thread when I start it to help others out later on. Also in case I need to ask questions. Lol
Old 07-30-2020, 06:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Oh…NO

You only need the 4200…don't put the 5200 on! Period, you might find that snapping turtle again and the 5200 is not coming off…

second just smear with a plastic blade, the 3M 4200 thin, no thicker than a credit card evenly across the strut mounting face…THIS HELPS with the getting the original engine alignment back.