• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-hat_in_Cincy
    MC Devotee
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by hunter991 View Post
    If you get Epic pass you can reduce your lift ticket costs. Just google Epic passes to see the deals.
    I believe the Epic Pass sale is targeted to end 11/24/19 for the 19/20 season. (EDIT: Sorry...didn't see this already mentioned above).

Our trips are usually end of Feb. and have been fine. We have run into day thawing and refreezing overnight, but that's hit or miss.

I think Keystone is a good intro into "Denver" area resorts. You have 3 mountains, close. Wife and I are going back (3rd time) end of Jan. since our normal trip fell apart this year. We're staying at The Springs. They are a short walk to the lift and base areas and have decent year round outdoor pool and hot tubs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    2002 MasterCraft X10
    2004 MasterCraft Prostar 205v 'Wakeboard Edition'
    2018 MasterCraft XT20 50th Anny

Comment

• bcd
      MC Devotee
      • Jul 2011

If you want to maximize skiing, then start a leg conditioning program. I like to do squats and weighted single leg lunges. Do 3 to 4 sets of 8 to 10 reps, but the key is to only rest 30 seconds between each set. It gets some leg burn going similar to what you get skiing out west. Leg extensions and single leg squats where you sit down onto a bench and then stand back up all on one leg are also good.

I'm in the middle of planning a short trip out to Breckenridge for early January right now. This conversation is getting me pumped. We're taking our 3 and 5 year olds with us, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm in my basement getting ready for some squats right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

• d2jp
        MC Devotee
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
        How does one prepare for the elevation change? Im at sea level in Louisiana so anything with mountains will be a big change for us.

This is really making me second guess a rental car as I dont want to deal with anymore snow than I need to.
        Being as fit a possible (good cardio), avoid alcohol before and first day (at least), consume lots of water. I never had an issue visiting Denver before I moved, but getting up in the mountains - I could definitely feel it.

So the roads I described are worse case, but....it is something to consider. You could have a 6-8” of fresh powder at night and crystal blue skies each day and not an issue driving! CDOT does a good job of keeping the roads clear and sanded for traction over the passes. But having lived at at 9500’ elevation..it can also dump 18” + for 3 straight days....we averaged over 360” of snow a year at Winter Park. And my kids went to school every.single.day. I’ve white knuckled it over Vail Pass and Rabbit Ears Pass while 18 wheelers stopped to chain up and idiots in new 4wd SUVs spun into the median. If you are not experienced driving in the mountains and possible snow, I would consider a resort shuttle. And if renting it would be AWD or 4WD.
        And if you really want a fun Colorado vacation, leave Louisiana in the middle of the summer and spend a week in the mountains there, it’s absolutely beautiful and tons of fun things to do!

Comment

• Thrall
          MC Addict
          • Jul 2004

Will be an awesome trip regardless of where you choose to go.
          Have lived in CO twice and made several trips out.
          IMO, if renting a vehicle anyway, you're not tied to slopeside or even within shuttle range.
          Yes, Summit County (Breck, Keystone, A basin, Copper) is the most resorts close together and
          plenty of bars and such in Breck and Silverthorne/Dillon.
          If you're not a super experienced skiier or snowboarder then ALL of the resorts will be the bomb.
          A basin is the highest alt. More good powder but also colder and more wind.
          Breck and Vail are HUGE.
          Winter Park is one of my favorites, but it's a bit of a drive from Summit Co. Actually Copper Mtn is too.
          We typically chased the snow, IE if Vail or WP got hit, we drove there if Summit Co resorts didn't.
          I'd personally do a VRBO or something similar for the cost. Staying slopeside is cool, but makes you feel like you can only go to one place.
          Tickets, not familiar with the passes, but there's a few options that give you multiple resorts
          IE 5 days at Breck, Vail, Keystone etc.
          If you want to wait for the immediate forecast, King Soopers grocery stores sells discount tickets. That's where we used to buy tickets for a day or when we'd drive out there for a week.
          Getting off the I 70 corridor during popular times, at least used to, will generally have shorter lift lines. Winter Park, Steamboat, Snowmass/Aspen, A Basin.
          Heck if the snows great and you want a bargain, places like Ski Cooper and Sunlight have good terrain without all the fanfare, but you gotta drive.
          I'd line up rentals and get them off site somewhere, cheaper, and can do it the day before if you have an extra day there, or rent down in Denver area before heading up.
          If you got a VRBO say in Glenwood Springs or Gypsum/Eagle you could be 1hr or less to Aspen/Buttermilk/Snowmass/Sunlight in one direction and an hour or less to Breck, Copper, Vail, Beaver Creek in the other direction without major traffic on I 70 unless Glenwood Canyon is s mess and you need to get to the other side of it.

Bottom Line, there is a pile of options and none of them are bad if the snow is dumping!
          '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

• Thrall
            MC Addict
            • Jul 2004

"If you are not experienced driving in the mountains and possible snow, I would consider a resort shuttle. And if renting it would be AWD or 4WD."

This is a consideration I often forget about. We used to drive out to CO from the midwest when I was in high school/college. Never did have a 4x4. Thinking back Chevy Caprice, Olds Tornado, conversion van, 2wd Dakota. Just bombed through blizzards but we grew up driving in snow. Several of us had plow trucks (that weren't suitable for x country trips).

Best one was the front wheel drive big block Tornado. Put the studded snow tires off the back of my Monte Carlo on the front of it and it was like a billy goat in the mountains.
            '06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Comment

• bcd
              MC Devotee
              • Jul 2011

Just to clarify if you're not familiar, the epic pass is for Vail resorts. Vail owns a lot of resorts, it's not just for the one at Vail, CO. It includes Breckenridge, keystone, Beaver Creek and others.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

• tenmile
                TT Enthusiast
                • Apr 2015

Note for anyone coming in this year: our laws changed regarding tires and chains- you must carry them now for 2wd vehicles and in some cases, 4wd vehicles. It’s not just for Commerical anymore.

For anyone coming in to ski Breckenridge or Keystone, let me know. Happy to meet for a beer after the day is done.

Comment

• Mastercraftdave
                  MC Addict
                  • Feb 2012

Guys, thanks for all the really good tips and options. This gives me alot to think about and consider.

I never realized what went into this planning and has made me really think about everything before we pick a place. There seems to be an abundant of options for skiing, its just a matter of which area we decide to go.

Looks like I need to start working out now to prepare for the work of skiing. It should be a fun time and I look forward to something different.

We really wanted to come this summer and make a trip to Red Rocks to see one of our favorite bands but I couldn't get reasonable plane tickets at the time. A Colorado vacation is top on our list right now because we both want to see the mountains because all we see is flat terrain in Louisiana.

Comment

• John Johnson
                    MC Devotee
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
                    Guys, thanks for all the really good tips and options. This gives me alot to think about and consider.

I never realized what went into this planning and has made me really think about everything before we pick a place. There seems to be an abundant of options for skiing, its just a matter of which area we decide to go.

Looks like I need to start working out now to prepare for the work of skiing. It should be a fun time and I look forward to something different.

We really wanted to come this summer and make a trip to Red Rocks to see one of our favorite bands but I couldn't get reasonable plane tickets at the time. A Colorado vacation is top on our list right now because we both want to see the mountains because all we see is flat terrain in Louisiana.

Isbell/400Unit?

Comment

• Elnino31
                      TT Newbie
                      • Jun 2017

I would recommend adding at least a day or 2 to your trip on the front end to allow for your body time to adjust to elevation. For me, just sleeping at elevation was tough enough. I did not heed the alcohol advice, definitely had a few here and there. But any physical activity will quickly tire you out, even carrying skis from the parking lot was a chore, let alone the actual skiing. Your muscles tire so quickly on the first few days, I felt like I wasted that first day on the slopes. I did plenty of cardio and leg workouts, but it didn’t matter for me.

Really liked Keystone, Vail was too packed on the front side of the mountain and it takes a a while to get all the way to the back bowls. The vail village is pretty sweet and I don’t know that I could recommend taking a Denver trip without at least experiencing Vail once. Beaver Creek was definitely our favorite, huge area to be spread out, awesome food, and gives you a similar experience as Vail.

Comment

• d2jp
                        MC Devotee
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Thrall View Post
                        "If you are not experienced driving in the mountains and possible snow, I would consider a resort shuttle. And if renting it would be AWD or 4WD."

This is a consideration I often forget about. We used to drive out to CO from the midwest when I was in high school/college. Never did have a 4x4. Thinking back Chevy Caprice, Olds Tornado, conversion van, 2wd Dakota. Just bombed through blizzards but we grew up driving in snow. Several of us had plow trucks (that weren't suitable for x country trips).

Best one was the front wheel drive big block Tornado. Put the studded snow tires off the back of my Monte Carlo on the front of it and it was like a billy goat in the mountains.
                        My business partner drove a front wheel drive minivan all over CO, never had an issue. My neighbor spun his Excursion off I70 on Vail Pass with our families on board and I'm still thankful we survived. Driver experience is key! I had a Land Rover Discovery with snow tires, full time AWD. I had a part-time 4wd Explorer that I put cheapo studded tires on...I rarely needed to engage 4wd and that thing would go places in the snow the LR would struggle. We drove on snow packed roads all winter, so studs were fine in the mountains..no so good on I70

Comment

• Miss Rita
                          MC Devotee
                          • Jul 2009

Slight threadjack here:

To paraphrase Car & Driver: "AWD will allow you to get to a dangerous speed faster than FWD or RWD, but does nothing to improve traction for steering or stopping."

My take: driving in the mountains in the winter without four dedicated winter tires is foolish and asking for trouble. Sure, all season tires work most of the time, but it's that 5% that's a real bugger. Most of my driving is in Utah, Montana, South Dakota, and Colorado, and I wouldn't leave home without a fresh set of Blizzak tires. YMMV
                          Last edited by Miss Rita; 11-20-2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Mastercraftdave
                            MC Addict
                            • Feb 2012

How do rentals cars work up there for winter conditions. I have driven in snow once in my life.

Im an experienced driver in mud and wet weather conditions.

Comment

• bcd
                              MC Devotee
                              • Jul 2011

For a first time trip skiing in the rockies, you can't go wrong with any of the places mentioned above.

We are over 25 posts in, and I feel like we've let you down a little so far - no one has said anything about après ski. After a long day on the slopes, make sure you save some energy/time for a drink or two at one of the mountain bars at the bottom of the slopes.

Having a hot tub to sit in at night is nice for leg recovery. We usually try to work that into places where we stay if possible. Plus it's part of the experience to sit in an outdoor hot tub getting snowed on in the mountains.

Comment

• Mastercraftdave
                                MC Addict
                                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by bcd View Post
                                For a first time trip skiing in the rockies, you can't go wrong with any of the places mentioned above.

We are over 25 posts in, and I feel like we've let you down a little so far - no one has said anything about après ski. After a long day on the slopes, make sure you save some energy/time for a drink or two at one of the mountain bars at the bottom of the slopes.

Having a hot tub to sit in at night is nice for leg recovery. We usually try to work that into places where we stay if possible. Plus it's part of the experience to sit in an outdoor hot tub getting snowed on in the mountains.
                                You have been a wealth of knowledge.

My ideal location is a ski place where we can ski, get to the bottom of the mountain and then go straight into the lodge to eat/drink. Being that my wife is cold nature, she will want alot of hot chocolate. I guess you dont have to stay at the big lodges to eat/drink there?

I have been looking ta VRBO for places and some are hit or miss with a hot tub as this is a big must from my wife. Im in search mode right now so we can get this planned.

Thank yall so much for the help!

Comment

Working...
                                X