Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-17-2021, 10:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maybe
Take a lesson from the Amish. Brush up on your teamster skills, get out that old saddle and chaps. That's where the greenies are going to drive us, unless we say B.S. and tell them to pound sand. Even then they would gripe about the poop, and flatulence.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
That is exactly what is going to happen as the current administration campaigned on the end of dino fuel.
That's not going to happen but your grandkids and great-grandkids are going to point at photos of you and laugh as they whip around the lakes and rivers on hoverboards and alien blue energy crafts.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
when we harness fusion then we can go electric... windmills and the sun aren't going to cut it...

Of course we are out of oil and gas just like they predicted back in the 70's right?

and global warming has the seas up 5 feet and we are all dying everything is flooding the polar caps have melted and worst of all no more snow and don't forget the insane heat and no rain and on and on and on... yet nothing has substantially changed in 30 plus years...

they even took down the signs in glacier that the glaciers would be gone this year... yet they are growing... sigh.....

science is hard I guess....
Old 05-17-2021, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
And here is the innovation.. btw kodak invented digital imagery in 1976 i believe and buried it and chose film revenue over the future of the company and even choked on thier document business. Printing my industry has been clobbered as well.. I bet vw and gm will still be making gassers in 2030.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2021, 08:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
And here is the innovation.. btw kodak invented digital imagery in 1976 i believe and buried it and chose film revenue over the future of the company and even choked on thier document business.
While I was in B-school back in the mid 1990s we had a Kodak executive (he was a friend of the professor) come talk to us about how they were working on their digital camera system and it would be out "early in the next decade to maybe middle of the decade." Doing the math that was 2000-2005 for launch. They supressed the digital format because they believed that as the exec said "people want to hold a physical photo" thus their film business would always be there. Talk about being flat out dead wrong. The sad part is none of those executives that made those decisions probably lost one penny of their stock options and bonuses.

Also the makers of the memory card could not get computer companies interested in them at all. Storage media companies skoffed at them and said that the cards were literally too small for people to want them. They would get lost too easily. The makers finally went to the digital camera folks and said here is a solution you need and the rest is history. Now memory card business is worth hundreds of billions of dollars per year.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Yes, we'll see if battery tech can solve the electric car problem of refueling.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:46 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2019 XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post
Buggy whips, typewriters, Blockbuster video, CD players, DVD players, Kodak, Poloroid, Compaq computers, Tower Records, Toys R Us, any of these ring a bell?

Kodak executive gave a talk at a class I was taking and they were working on a digital camera platform and hoped to have it ready in about 10 years. 2-3 Years after that talk digital cameras were everywhere and Kodak was not a single one of them. In a later talk just a few years ago he said they had no idea that the industry was going to change that fast and they totally missed out and it killed them.

It is called the "Christensen Phenomenon" and "disruptive innovation" to us in the business of making new products. Basically his mantra is that nobody in a business knows and sees the next big innovation so they lose it all and he has countless examples of it. People in the business lose out, investors lose out, it is a no-win situation to those that are stubborn and refuse to adapt. Nobody in computer or digital storage media came out with the next innovative means of storing digital information and there have been like 16 revolutionary changes. Even where I worked we got clobbered when DVDs came out (replacing VCRs) and we were the leader in floppy discs but then lost it all to memory cards because we didn't believe they would be a big deal. The memory card people actually targeted the digital camera market which was just starting to boom and so the memory card business became gigantic.

Fossil fuels is just the next victim of the old ways trying to hold on against innovation.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...=1&oi=scholart

When electric cars are a legitimate option of replacing their gas counterparts, count me in. Right now, they arent any better for the environment due to how the batteries are made, and the useful life of them is depleted by the time the environmental impact starts be "green".

my brothers both have teslas, heck one of them has 2 of them. the technology and innovation in those in unbelievable, and I spend a lot of time in them. Just not a feasible replacement for me, and I am not willing to give up my toy space to have one as a second car.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2021
https://www.lonestarmasterbash.com/

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon - Ear Injurer
Old 05-18-2021, 09:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2019 X22, '18 NXT22, '06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvw4x4 View Post
I find it funny people calling for more electric vehicles. 60% of electricity comes from fossil fuels 😂
78% here in Colorado LOL
Old 05-18-2021, 09:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post
Buggy whips, typewriters, Blockbuster video, CD players, DVD players, Kodak, Poloroid, Compaq computers, Tower Records, Toys R Us, any of these ring a bell?

Kodak executive gave a talk at a class I was taking and they were working on a digital camera platform and hoped to have it ready in about 10 years. 2-3 Years after that talk digital cameras were everywhere and Kodak was not a single one of them. In a later talk just a few years ago he said they had no idea that the industry was going to change that fast and they totally missed out and it killed them.

It is called the "Christensen Phenomenon" and "disruptive innovation" to us in the business of making new products. Basically his mantra is that nobody in a business knows and sees the next big innovation so they lose it all and he has countless examples of it. People in the business lose out, investors lose out, it is a no-win situation to those that are stubborn and refuse to adapt. Nobody in computer or digital storage media came out with the next innovative means of storing digital information and there have been like 16 revolutionary changes. Even where I worked we got clobbered when DVDs came out (replacing VCRs) and we were the leader in floppy discs but then lost it all to memory cards because we didn't believe they would be a big deal. The memory card people actually targeted the digital camera market which was just starting to boom and so the memory card business became gigantic.

Fossil fuels is just the next victim of the old ways trying to hold on against innovation.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...=1&oi=scholart

exact same thing happened to Blackberry years ago. A company who never made a phone destroyed Goliath.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
exact same thing happened to Blackberry years ago. A company who never made a phone destroyed Goliath.
And wow was that a quick kill! That had to be horrifying to be at Blackberry and watching your business evaporate that fast.

I'm the stupid one that held 1000 shares of AAPL in my wife's IRA and I sold it in 2006 because I was the idiot that thought who in their right mind would buy a phone with a glass front? I mean seriously in a pocket or a purse that is a disaster waiting to happen with scratches on the glass or breakage right? Man was I ever wrong about that investment choice!