Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 04-15-2021, 05:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X1 RTP-1
Steps to troubleshoot ballast timer/pump issues X1

Hey all, I've been reading as many of the old threads as I can find on ballast timer issues on some of the older MCs. My X1 is misbehaving, and I'd just like to talk through the troubleshooting since electrical work is really not my strong suit. I'm planning to eventually send the timers out for reprogramming, but I want to be sure nothing is broken first.

When I hit the fill switches, I can hear what sounds like the relays firing, and then I get the double blink. Sometimes the rear starboard pump will fire, but not consistently. The lights on the switches also don't always represent what I'm telling them. Like if I hit Fill, the Empty might light up. I looked at the impellers (yellow) and they look fine. I can turn the pumps by hand without any trouble. I also double checked that the breakers aren't thrown.

These are the steps I'm planning to take:

1) Jump 12V to the pumps to see if they run
2) Check for 12V at the pump harness when switches are turned on
3) Check for 12V to the ballast brain box

Are there any other steps I need to follow? If all checks out, then should I expect reprogramming to fix the problem? I'm assuming the unexpected light positions is an issue with the brain box, but I really don't know. I'm pretty new to this system.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
Since all of your timers are having problems I would check the power connections to the timer box and at the battery. If they are loose or corroded you might be getting 12v with enough current to run the timers but not enough current to run the pumps. Tighten all the screws in the timer box and make sure the battery cables are clean / tightened.

If that looks OK, then you can direct power the pump motors from the battery and see if they run. If all those run and you're still having problems send them to me and I'll reprogram the the timers.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thank you so much. I was going to hit you up later about the timer reprogramming, and I appreciate the insight. I'll give this a shot this weekend and see what I find.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
You'll be WAAAAAY happier if you yank that box out and send it to tr6coug for a reprogram.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6coug View Post
Since all of your timers are having problems I would check the power connections to the timer box and at the battery. If they are loose or corroded you might be getting 12v with enough current to run the timers but not enough current to run the pumps. Tighten all the screws in the timer box and make sure the battery cables are clean / tightened.

If that looks OK, then you can direct power the pump motors from the battery and see if they run. If all those run and you're still having problems send them to me and I'll reprogram the the timers.
The previous owner said he'd had work done to the ballast system, and it looks like he was true to his word. These look like new Jabsco timers to me:

Are these OEM or aftermarket? Does your reprogramming still apply?
Old 04-18-2021, 06:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Sorry for the crappy pic. Maybe this is better:

https://i.imgur.com/RxKuX2G.jpg
Old 04-21-2021, 12:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Alright, I'm packaging up my timers to send off to tr6coug. Will be jumping 12V to the pumps this weekend to see if they turn.

In the meantime.... Is it possible to use a handheld pump to fill/drain the stock ballast on a 205V? It's just the two hard tanks in the rear and the KGB bag. I'm impatient to use the ballast and thought it might be handy to have a spare on board anyway.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
Hand held pump would take forever. I'd just run the pumps from the battery until the tanks are full/empty.

Previous owner probably had the original 6-minute timers replaced with 20 minute timers. Same timer just a longer allowable run-time. Once I reprogram them you'll be able to run them for as long you like and they will just work.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, X45, X25
timers are ok

I am finally today figured my almost a year problem with timers running erratically. I tried everything; reprogramming, hooking up two relay circuit per pump. It turned out it was pretty bad pinch in the engine bay compartment where switches from the helm ran to the controller box in the portside bag locker. Anyways; it was just freaking wiring problem after all. Lesson is before you blame controller or pump; check the wires for continuity and shorts to circuit. I kept on dragging on it since there are 12 wires for 3 controller and i should have started with it. ... the more you learn ... Now, since i discarded one perfectly fine controller i have two controllers and one relay controlled pump.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X1
My x1 is doing the exact same thing. Where are the timers and controller located if you don’t mind to share?