Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 04-06-2021, 03:21 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x15 2012 5.7
Wiring Ballasts?

Hey, I have a 2012 x15..... I know that was the worst year to buy one. But I did.
I am wondering if I can just wire the factory ballast pumps directly to the switches? I do not have a plate, or B.I.G. I can stop the pumps when the water comes out the overflow. And I can hear them when they are empty. Thanks in advance
Old 04-06-2021, 08:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
No, I tried that. It won't enable zero off because it thinks the ballast hasn't filled for wakeboard or surf settings. If you try to use some other setting to get your zero off operating, then auto launch won't be active.

What I did was wire in relays to let the factory controller fill until it said it was full. Then I flipped my switch and the relays jumped over to me powering the pumps until the system was actually full. Same for emptying.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2021, 06:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 X23
bcd is correct, the gdig does quirky things if it believes there is a fault (aka open electrical connection to the pump). It also changes what functionality is available if you tell it you don't have ballast. If memory serves, once you tell the system that you don't have ballast you lose other functions, surf tabs/attitude plate if I recall. I don't remember if turning ballast off at the GDIG killed speed control or not. May be worth looking at since you don't have the other options. You could potentially turn off ballast and add your own relay control box for all three pumps if speed control continues to function.

Keep in mind, the factory switches are SPDT, so you wouldn't be able to wire pumps directly to them anyways, you'd need to use the factory switches to control relays that power and reverse the pumps.

If you are going to to the trouble of adding extra ballast volume to a 2012 and need to do significant wiring to get it to work without interfering with other options (plate, tabs, etc); you can also do what I did and just add additional pumps. It is more expensive than other years where you can just increase the timers, but you do get the benefit of more pumping capacity for faster fill and drain times.

I started off treating each rear tank and each bag as a separate zone, but ultimately I repiped the system and used the factory controlled pump as a secondary with the new pump as primary for a tank/bag combo. The primary pump was controlled through relays and a second set of factory ballast switches at the control panel. The primary pump fed directly into the tank and then the piggyback bag above it. The original factory pump fed directly into the piggyback bag. When the system ran, the aftermarket "primary"pump and factory pump would fill the combined bag/tank volume in around 6 minutes. When draining, the aftermarket "primary" pump would begin draining from the tank while the factory pump drained from the bag. Since the bag was roughly 2-3 times larger than the tank, the factory pump would time out before the bag was fully drained and the aftermarket "primary" pump would finish the job as well as empty the tank. The system worked pretty well this way. I did use a timer relay on the control side of the power relays to create timed drain for the aftermarket primary pumps to keep me from running them dry.

Good luck, 2012's had some quirks but if you can get past them they can be good boats.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
What size relays did you use for the pumps?
Old 06-11-2021, 05:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
12V coil / 30A automotive relays should work. That is what is used in the Jabsco Ballast timers.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-0332019...10510446&psc=1

Will these work?
Old 06-11-2021, 09:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by armerjr View Post
If you want to build a forward/reverse circuit then you will need 2 relays per pump and they will need to have N.O. and N.C. terminals. Like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-0332209150-Fuel-Injection-Relay

See post #6 in this thread for a diagram.

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=43365