Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 04-20-2021, 12:22 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar 210 '01
Reversible ballast pump install Maristar 210

I'm installing 3 reversible ballast pump kits from Wakemakers in my 2001 Maristar 210, I'll try and not repeat the instructions that come with the kit. Mostly where I chose to install everything and why.

All 3 through hull ports I drilled on the port side of the engine accessed via the port rear locker. Good access and lots of room inside the boat as well as under the trailer. I mocked up the hull fitting/valve/hose etc and you need a good 10-12 inches vertical to fit everything and bend the hose 90*. This location left a shorter hose run and allowed plenty of room to route the hoses without binding and all 3 shutoff levers in the same place. I could've also fit several under the rear middle seat, but the hose runs didn't work as well with my pump placement.

First 2 spaced between the engine mounts.

The 3rd behind the rear engine mount in front of the blower.

Underneath the boat.

Vents were per the instructions, just verifying I could physically route a hose to/apply sealant/install the nut. Port locker was easy. Starboard locker would've been easy if I removed my battery boxes and dual battery switch and removed the seatback panel from the rear locker, instead I yoga'd my way under the rear seat and made it work. I removed the kick panel from the helm for the forward vent fitting.

Starboard next to the bilge pump.

Port side.

The front vent I kept in line with the hole in the floor for the wiring/steering cable etc.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar, 210VR, 2000, 5.7 L, Perfect Pass Stargazer Wake, 910 bags rear, 515 locker, 520 bow, Swell Surf Gate,
Cool! I just installed 2 of 4 wakemakers kit pumps in my 00 210 VRS Maristar. I put thru hull on each side of the muffler hoses. The pumps are mounted at the rear of the engine compartment above the muffler on the false wall of the engine compartment. The hose from the pump to the bag runs thru the starboard and port engine dividers to the bag. I can still easily lower the dividers over the hose if needed. My vent lines from bag to vent thru hulls run to highest point on gunnels behind the rope cleats. Iíll post pictures here later. My other two thru hulls i plan to put in the horizontal bilge compartment between the ski locker and circular bilge access with short runs to the ski locker bag and bow bag. The hoses will run through the prebuilt access lines from the port side of the ski locker,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2021, 12:49 AM
TT Regular

I ended up mounting 2 of the pumps on the rear starboard panels at the transom just above the silencer. There is room to mount the pumps behind the starboard but I would have to glass some mounting pads, cut the starboard for the hoses and also access for future maintenance left me mounting them where I did. The starboard is loose up top and just attached via a couple screws on the bottom, I may make a bracket to attach it to the top of the transom. Thought about mounting the 3rd pump there as well, but hose routing and length ruled it out. Also easy wire routing as the factory wiring runs through glassed in PVC along the gunnel and transom. Should be a couple feet from the through hull and an easy radius to the pump and a couple feet to the rear locker bags.

The 3rd pump fit nicely under the "cooler" middle seat, with good bend radius of the hose from the through hull and under the floor to the ski locker.

The fill/drain hose to the ski locker.

The ski locker vent line I measured and drilled parallel with the existing hole for the steering cable/wiring etc under the forward helm.

I marked the various wiring connectors as P (port) S (starboard) and M (middle) before I ran the wires. I used the existing factory runs for the rear pumps and utilized the fuel/bilge hose runs for the middle pump and battery wires. I wanted to lube the throttle/shift cable anyway so I removed the driver side panel to run the wires, it's got blank switch covers for the ballast switches.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar, 210VR, 2000, 5.7 L, Perfect Pass Stargazer Wake, 910 bags rear, 515 locker, 520 bow, Swell Surf Gate,
Brilliant idea to remove the starboard drivers panel.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:01 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Married2Maristar View Post
Cool! I just installed 2 of 4 wakemakers kit pumps in my 00 210 VRS Maristar. I put thru hull on each side of the muffler hoses. The pumps are mounted at the rear of the engine compartment above the muffler on the false wall of the engine compartment. The hose from the pump to the bag runs thru the starboard and port engine dividers to the bag. I can still easily lower the dividers over the hose if needed. My vent lines from bag to vent thru hulls run to highest point on gunnels behind the rope cleats. Iíll post pictures here later. My other two thru hulls i plan to put in the horizontal bilge compartment between the ski locker and circular bilge access with short runs to the ski locker bag and bow bag. The hoses will run through the prebuilt access lines from the port side of the ski locker,

Sounds like are rear pumps are in the same spot! I seriously thought about the through hulls between the muffler hoses.

I also thought about mounting the middle pump in the bilge access. Bending the hose from the through hull to the pump would be pretty tight. Also 5-6 inches of water in that area splashing around may not be good on the pump long term. No experience just my thoughts etc as I spent hours thinking about the possibilities.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:08 AM
TT Regular

Reversible ballast pump install Maristar 210

Hahah me too, too many hours to count. I just repacked my shaft seal packing which should hopefully reduce the amount of water in the bilge but too early to tell. Until I can ensure no water ends up in the bilge routinely I wonít put it there, but the thru hull could still start there for the bow bag. I like your cooler middle seat location for the ski locker bag pump. I didnít think about that dead space. i have the king ballast pumps have to see if it will fit there. Heat gun makes a big difference working with the hose.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:18 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Married2Maristar View Post
Hahah me too, too many hours to count. I just repacked my shaft seal packing which should hopefully reduce the amount of water in the bilge but too early to tell. Until I can ensure no water ends up in the bilge routinely I wonít put it there, but the thru hull could still start there for the bow bag. I like your cooler middle seat location for the ski locker bag pump. I didnít think about that dead space. i have the king ballast pumps have to see if it will fit there. Heat gun makes a big difference working with the hose.

There's room for a standard Wakemakers pump on each side of the "cooler" middle seat with several inches wiggle room in all directions. Cooler/container still fits without cutting. Nice bend radius from the through hull from the engine area over the motor mount to the pump and a straight shot forward out of the pump under the floor. Also a nice wire run and above the water.

I need a walk though of the shaft seal re-packing!

Last edited by crabandy; 04-20-2021 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS w/LTR - my first MC!
Thanks for posting this - I see a similar project in my near future! Prefect timing!