Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 05-16-2021, 04:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC, x -30 2002
Ballast pumps taking in air

Hi, I have a 2002 x 30 and I have troubles filling my ballast in a reasonable amount of time. When filling the ballast, the stream coming in is not solid. It shoots water and dies and shoots water again but when emptying it is a solid stream going out.
New impellers and nothing leaking inside, so my thought was my one way valves on the exit lines are failing and letting air in because when I plug the exit port with my finger the water volume increases coming in. So, does anyone know where the check valves are because I can't seem to find them.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X-Star, Indmar LY6
I had the same issue with my 2002 Xstar that was outfitted with the manifold ballast system. The problem ended up being the check valves for the empty circuit were leaking causing the pumps to pull air into the lines when filling the ballast (these check valves should pull shut when filling).

Mine were readily visible on the "firewall" between the cabin and the storage lockers, were white PVC, and easily fixed. If you have this system, as I suspect you may, follow the hoses from where they come out of the boat on the starboard and port sides back towards the manifold. They will certainly be inline, and are probably the factory white PVC valves with an arrow pointing in the functional direction. Pop one of these off, and try to blow through opposite of the arrows direction. If any air leaks through, its bad.

Hope this helps.

D2
Old 05-20-2021, 05:35 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Dominator View Post
I had the same issue with my 2002 Xstar that was outfitted with the manifold ballast system. The problem ended up being the check valves for the empty circuit were leaking causing the pumps to pull air into the lines when filling the ballast (these check valves should pull shut when filling).

Mine were readily visible on the "firewall" between the cabin and the storage lockers, were white PVC, and easily fixed. If you have this system, as I suspect you may, follow the hoses from where they come out of the boat on the starboard and port sides back towards the manifold. They will certainly be inline, and are probably the factory white PVC valves with an arrow pointing in the functional direction. Pop one of these off, and try to blow through opposite of the arrows direction. If any air leaks through, its bad.

Hope this helps.

D2
Thank you for the reply! I did follow the hose but it goes straight from the hull port to the manifold with no additional valve. Are mine somehow integrated in the manifold? Maybe just splice new ones in?
Old 05-20-2021, 05:41 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Dominator View Post

Hope this helps.

D2
Thank you for the reply! I did follow the hose but it goes straight from the hull port to the manifold with no additional valve. Are mine somehow integrated in the manifold? Maybe just splice new ones in?
Old 05-20-2021, 06:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X30, 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer87 View Post
Assuming your ballast system fills from an intake on the bottom of the hull and empties out the sides using a manifold system, the check valves are on the “empty” hoses between the manifold and the exit ports on the sides of the boat. In this scenario there should also be a check valve on the larger intake hose, between the thru-hull fitting and the manifold.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:57 PM
MC Addict

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Check valves on the emptying lines , not the overflow, are your problem.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN