Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-28-2021, 07:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft X-45 2008 MCX
That OPDA failure is common and very hard to find right now. Might even be worth finding one with it replaced or getting a backup. Not sure you need a Rubicon - those are for pretty hardcore 4x4 trips. The hardtops are sweet on the newer ones bc they have T-tops (freedom tops) but then it is harder to take the hardtop off and no where to store it. Make sure you get the engine and seals checked out - all Jeeps leak oil and you will likely need to repair an oil pan seal or something else. If you do get the Rubi - you can put some bigger wheels and tires on it without lifting it. Any of them can be lifter 2.5" and you can put 35" tires on them for looks.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
TJ for sure. Unlimited would be awesome.

I'd go for an auto, but that's just my preference. 2003+ TJ are 4 speed autos, 2002 and down are 3 speed, no overdrive.

The biggest issue with a 05-06 is going to be the oil pump drive assembly (OPDA). They are known to be problematic. 2004 is not as bad as 05-06. More info here if you want to read about it:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2...ilure-1144202/

Definitely the I6 if no motor swap planned. The I6 is barely adequate.
Username checks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Skier View Post
Maybe just me, but on that trip, a good condition or restored CJ7.... I know, earlier than you're probably looking, but in my book, they were the last real jeep, and readily repairable with off the shelf parts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
TJ, imho (I've owned CJs, YJs, TJs, Willys) is the best combo of "real" jeep performance and somewhat modern safety and driveability. It doesnt have all the "extra" bells and whistles of the newer Wranglers, but it is comfortable (as comfortable as a Wrangler can be) for longer drives.

IMO, you dont need an off-road machine for the trip you're planning. Just reliable. Doesnt need a big lift, light bars, or anything really to draw attention. If it looks like money, it'll be a magnet in some rather rough places. And I know the soft top sounds like a fun idea, but I echo what another poster said. Anything loose in the Jeep will be stolen at some point. And not just when its parked, but he'll be vulnerable at red lights or anywhere he has to stop. At the very least, get a tonneau cover and remove the back seat he can keep his stuff out of sight.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 XStar, 2020 Crest
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN X-45 View Post
That OPDA failure is common and very hard to find right now. Might even be worth finding one with it replaced or getting a backup. Not sure you need a Rubicon - those are for pretty hardcore 4x4 trips. The hardtops are sweet on the newer ones bc they have T-tops (freedom tops) but then it is harder to take the hardtop off and no where to store it. Make sure you get the engine and seals checked out - all Jeeps leak oil and you will likely need to repair an oil pan seal or something else. If you do get the Rubi - you can put some bigger wheels and tires on it without lifting it. Any of them can be lifter 2.5" and you can put 35" tires on them for looks.
Just to clarify on this, the TJ Rubi has 30.5" stock and can run up to 31" stock. Not much room for bigger tires, but a little. The 2007+ JK has more room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73blue View Post
Username checks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73blue View Post
TJ, imho (I've owned CJs, YJs, TJs, Willys) is the best combo of "real" jeep performance and somewhat modern safety and driveability. It doesnt have all the "extra" bells and whistles of the newer Wranglers, but it is comfortable (as comfortable as a Wrangler can be) for longer drives.

IMO, you dont need an off-road machine for the trip you're planning. Just reliable. Doesnt need a big lift, light bars, or anything really to draw attention. If it looks like money, it'll be a magnet in some rather rough places. And I know the soft top sounds like a fun idea, but I echo what another poster said. Anything loose in the Jeep will be stolen at some point. And not just when its parked, but he'll be vulnerable at red lights or anywhere he has to stop. At the very least, get a tonneau cover and remove the back seat he can keep his stuff out of sight.
Good advice here.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 Mastercraft NXT22
Avoid the minivan engine i want to say it was a 3.8L. The 3.6 and 4.0 are pretty good. Rented a grand Cherokee a while back with 3.6 got around 30mpg. I keep an eye open for a blown engine 3.8L unlimited wrangler with hard top for an LS swap myself. Hasn't worked out yet, but i am sure it will one day when supply chains stabilize.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:34 AM
MC Addict

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
No comment on the soft top thing.
But as much as I and everyone else are recommending the old 4.0 engine, bottom line, there’s millions or however many V6 models out there for years now. And you’re not looking for ultimate longevity, just a trip.
Whatever you get will be more about miles and condition, not which model it is.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-01-2021, 09:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, Prostar 190, 1994, 350 EFI
My boss' thinking is:

make the right effort to purchase the model year/make that if in solid, good condition should make the trip with ease, but should something fail, a local mechanic can repair the issue and allow the guys to continue their trip down or up for return.

Thanks again guys for information and tips
Old 06-01-2021, 10:17 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft Prostar 197 & 1989 190
Let me see if I have this right, two guys from Europe will be driving through Mexico? A very long discussion about how to fold in a hurry if pulled over, stopped or caught in any kind of a sticky situation needs to be explained in detail. Keep enough cash in your pockets to look like it may be all you have but not all you have. We have several employees that would drive deep into Mexico to visit family but will no longer attempt the trip as they consider it to dangerous and they are from there.
A year and a half ago group of 15 from our church did a enduro bike ride from Dallas to Honduras and were relieved of their cash as a "toll". They made the trip but had some crazy stories that scared them to death. The bikes were sold once there for charity and they were happy to fly home.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, Prostar 190, 1994, 350 EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtexas View Post
Let me see if I have this right, two guys from Europe will be driving through Mexico? A very long discussion about how to fold in a hurry if pulled over, stopped or caught in any kind of a sticky situation needs to be explained in detail. Keep enough cash in your pockets to look like it may be all you have but not all you have. We have several employees that would drive deep into Mexico to visit family but will no longer attempt the trip as they consider it to dangerous and they are from there.
A year and a half ago group of 15 from our church did a enduro bike ride from Dallas to Honduras and were relieved of their cash as a "toll". They made the trip but had some crazy stories that scared them to death. The bikes were sold once there for charity and they were happy to fly home.
You're absolutely correct! Crazy to think this is a good idea! I'm just the guy who'll buy the jeep and get blamed for anything and everything along way!

Mike
Old 06-04-2021, 11:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X22
I can't echo mustangtexas's comments more. I used to spend a lot of time in my youth in Mexico, and the past 10-15 years working extensively across the region. It's not what it used to be and is not to be taken lightly. There are some areas you need to get through very, very quickly as it's cartel country.

Find something as stock and/or dented up as you can find, with no mods. Spend the money on certain accessories like the locking trunk and a real locking console. Mod will only attract unwanted attention, and drive up the cost of potential carnet fees and 'tolls' they'll have to pay along their way.

FWIW, two Swiss citizens driving an American tagged vehicle (likely to your boss, and not in their names) are going to create some transit issues for them. Have your boss do some research on carnets, international insurance, etc.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '15 X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtexas View Post
^^ This is spot on. I have co-worker stories that remind me of the road warrior.

Here is a build starting point image for you
Attached Images

Tags
ariccan'tdrivestick