• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • socalsynergy
    TT Enthusiast
    • Nov 2015

*Need Opinion from MC group on Amp set up*

Have a question about the amp setup in my x45. I have 6 JL 7.7 in boat speakers being run off a JL 600/6 and I believe its a JL 600/2 amp powering a 10 inch sub (I know a little over kill for the sub but that is how I bought the boat).

The issue is that one channel on the JL 600/6 is bad and one or two speakers are not as loud as they once were. I asked one of the auto installation shops here in Havasu and they recommend to run a JL 700/5 to run the 6 boat speakers and sub. They also said that I can remove the JL 600/2 to make it cleaner and simpler.

My question is will a JL 700/5 adequately handle the 6 JL 7.7 in boat speakers and a JL 10" sub?
  • bturner2
    MC Addict
    • Mar 2008

You're going to get responses all over the board on this question. Most are going to be from the big system guys telling you need a thousand watts, all new speakers and the like. That's pretty much not my approach for 90% of the people I help with their systems but as with performance cars for some you can never have too much HP and I get that.

If you're not looking to DJ that sandbar or make passenger's ears bleed you can go with what was pretty much stock and keep appearances clean. On a set up like yours more common would have been a JL 600/6 and a JL 200/2. The idea would be that each speaker would run on it's own channel with the exception of the sub which would have been bridged. So the quick math would be 6x6 speakers = 6 channels and the 2 channels bridged for the sub which is very common as sub like power. If you had a tower and 2 tower speakers you would have had a 400/4 with 2 channels for the tower and 2 bridged for the sub.

The easy button here is to just swap out what you have and maybe clean up the installation a bit. You already have the power running to the amps and going bigger with one amp could very likely require larger power/ground cable, breaker, connector ends and everything else that goes along with a bigger amp.

You don't state what year your boat is but by your profile picture I can see it has the older tower. There's a good chance you currently have the older and larger JL amps. If so upgrading to the newer, smaller amps will make a very big difference in the amount of real estate they take up and will allow you to really clean up your installation. This is probably going to be the most cost effective solution and something you could easily do yourself with basic tools and skills.

But to each their own. I'm sure you'll get some very different responses from this which depending on your objectives may be a better direction to take.

Comment

• socalsynergy
      TT Enthusiast
      • Nov 2015

The x45 is a 2007 and has 4 amps. 2 JL 400/4 amps powering 4 JL 8.8 tower speakers, 6 JL 7.7 in boat speakers and the 600/2? JL amp powering JL 10" sub.
      The recommendation from the audio store is to replace the 600/6 and 600/2 with a 700/5. It would clean up the amp board a little but will this change provide enough power to the sub @ 180 watts 4 ohms for a JL 10" 250 RMS sub? I know that both the 600/6 and 700/5 put out the same watts per channel but by stacking 2 pair of speakers on 1 channel 100 watts 2 ohms will this degrade the amp quicker and run hotter especially when a typical day at the lake is 115 degrees plus on a summer day?
      Just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing here.

Comment

• bturner2
        MC Addict
        • Mar 2008

My 07 X2 had the large amps. If I were upgrading I would still just swap out like for like. The reduction in size is dramatic. All you're "cleaning up" is 2 power cables. While others don't mind running 2 ohm I prefer not to due to the current increase (P=I squared x R). More current = more heat. Again, a lot of people won't agree but that is my opinion.

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
          MC Devotee
          • Mar 2017

Based on your info, it sounds like you're already running modern D class amps. There is no 600/2 amp in the JL lineup so I think bturner2 is correct in his guess that you have a 200/2 dedicated to the 10" sub, hopefully bridged to give you 200 watts when the engine's running and 180 while floating.

The 700/5 won't give you any noticeable improvement in audio performance, IMO. The sub channel is 180 watts into 4 ohms.

If it was my boat, I'd just get the 600/6 amp fixed, assuming it really has a bad channel. I would then think about getting a "real" amp for the subwoofer, replacing the 200/2. Kicker makes some nice mono amps that won't break the bank or you could stay with JL and drop a 600/1 in and use the same connections that were running to the 200/2 though you might want to upgrade the power lead. The 600/1 would give you some growing room to easily add a second sub down the road. If you do not have a dedicated control knob for the sub, this amp will give you that option.

Some photos of the amp rack would help tremendously to let others here assess any wiring problem areas. I would love to know how the tower speakers sound.

What is your battery setup?

Hope this helps.

Comment

• socalsynergy
            TT Enthusiast
            • Nov 2015

Here is a pic of the amp set up. Starting from bottom left is 600/6, 400/4, 400/4 and the upper right is the sub amp that Im not sure what size since the boat is in AZ and I live in CA.
            I have 2 size 27 batteries to run the house/stereo and 24 for starting.
            The 4 JL 8.8 on the tower are absolutely amazing!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by socalsynergy; 01-24-2021, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
              MC Devotee
              • Mar 2017

Hmmm, not seeing a photo.

Comment

• jpwhit
                MC Fanatic
                • Jul 2019

Are you absolutely sure the amp has bad channels. I had some issues with the RCA input cable connectors on a few of the channels into my JL amps that caused the exact same symptoms you describe. Bad connections and cable issues between the amp and speakers can also cause weak output.
                -----------------------------------
                Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
                Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
                Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

• socalsynergy
                  TT Enthusiast
                  • Nov 2015

After looking at the picture it looks like the top right amp is a 200/2. Sorry about double pictures.
                  That being said would it make sense to go with the 700/5 and remove the 200/2 or just replace the 600/6 amp?

I tried to trouble shoot the 600/6 and removed the RCA and pugged them back in and heard a popping sound so decided better not mess with it anymore and take to audio shop where they told me one channel was bad and corrosion was present because the cover plates were removed.

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
                    MC Devotee
                    • Mar 2017

That being said, it seems like you’re just going to keep asking the same question until someone says “yes, get the 700/5.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• socalsynergy
                      TT Enthusiast
                      • Nov 2015

That's not what I'm looking for MC Ranger. I was told by the audio shop to remove the sub amp and go with the 700/5. My question is should I remove the sub amp to make a simpler and more efficient installation or keep what I have?

Comment

• moosehead
                        MC Maniac
                        • May 2015

Wondering if you might like to add another sub to keep up with 4 880’s and 6 770’s while you’re at it?

Comment

• MasterCraft Ranger
                          MC Devotee
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by moosehead View Post
                          Wondering if you might like to add another sub to keep up with 4 880’s and 6 770’s while you’re at it?

Moose - please see above response. OP is not interested in opinions or options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• socalsynergy
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Nov 2015

I think I'm just going to replace the 600/6 with the same and keep the 200/2. If I want to add another sub in the future like moosehead suggests then I just need to change the 200/2.
                            I was hesitant about the 2 pair of speakers on one channel on the 700/5 especially on the 120 degree days.

Thanks for the input

Comment

• Tookeymonster
                              MC Devotee
                              • Sep 2017

Ecyclone is a wizard at this stuff, you may want to hit him up.

Comment

Working...
                              X