Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 10:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Trailer problems need some help

Sorry to post this in the general area, but I figured it would get faster exposure and I need to come up with a fix to get home.

We traveled today to our favorite lake spot in Oregon. When we got to our spot I noticed that one of my oil bath hubs had come off. I have no idea where I lost it. It must have been close to my destination, since the hub wasn't hot and oil was still dripping out. I plan to change over to the bearing buddy style.

My question is: Does anyone have any idea what size bearing buddy I need to buy? The wheel spins freely by hand so I believe the bearings are good. Can I just install the bearing buddy and fill with grease? I am here for a week but my daughter is driving up on Thursday so I am hoping that she can bring up the parts I need. Any tips would be great, I've never installed these before. I live in Oregon, I am assuming Napa or Les Schwab would have these parts?

My boat is a 2002 X-star/205V with a double axle Mastercraft trailer.

Thanks for the help, I know I should have gotten rid of these oil bath hubs along time ago.......
John
Old 07-23-2019, 04:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, Skier 19, 2002, 310
John,

I am no expert on these matters, but I don't think you can easily change to the Buddy Bearings without replacing a many of the parts.

Do a search on "oil bath bearings" in general dept. on this forum.

Apparently several types of manufactures for MC, my boat docs say I have buddy bearings but I don't! I have something similar to yours.

Best if you can make the repairs asap, it sounds like you have no lubrication! Check out this web site and perhaps they can assist you. (Toward the bottom is a several caps for oil filled bearings. Also, some of the chats in this forum stated that MC Dealers are not helpful getting the covers that sound like you need!)

https://www.easternmarine.com/bearin...-bearing-buddy

Good luck and let me know what you found out, I have a leaking bearing and my boat is stored 1.5 hours from my home - this may help me too!

Rick.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:46 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2008 X14, w/ LY6 400HP w/ 1.22 Ratio Tran
Stick with oil bath hubs. You can get a new cover at waterskis.com and use 50 weight oil. It isn't cheap but I would not go back to bearing buddies. Just my opinion.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-23-2019, 05:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '14 X30 6.2L, '96 SkiRay Tournament(sold)
John, I believe all the oil bath caps are threaded so a press in grease cap will not work. You may be able to pick up an oil bath cap somewhere or next day air one from an online trailer parts place. That said, if your in a real jam, pull the hub and pack the bearings with grease after you load the boat. The bearings will run a long time without a cap. It is really just a dust cap. Keep a close check on that hub and repack the outer bearing as needed on the way home. Keep the speed down. Stay off dirt roads! If you can, dry and degrease the outer part of the hub and cap it with duct tape after you pack the bearings.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Stick with oil bath hubs. You can get a new cover at waterskis.com and use 50 weight oil. It isn't cheap but I would not go back to bearing buddies. Just my opinion.
I also agree with DoubleD. I would leave the oil baths unless your going to a Vault or Vortex hub.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP... SOLD
First Amazon Prime can be your friend if you need a part quick and it can't be sources locally.

Next.....

Those caps just don't fall off. Typically there is a heat event that gets them loose enough to fall off. Unless they just happened to decide to check out I'd be looking for something that caused the issue. You have 3 others to look at so take a good look to see if there's something different about this one as opposed to the others.

So if we say something did happen what would most likely be the cause? Based on the year and that you have a MasterCraft trailer we can make some informed assumptions. From the year and the fact that you have oil bath hubs I'm thinking you have Reliable components on the trailer. If so the calipers from that era had a tendency of sticking. This would cause heat and there are many posts on people having the caps disappear. If this is the case here you'll end up with the same problem on the way home.

The next question I would ask is..... Have you done regular maintenance to the trailer? It's a 2002 trailer so have you done things like pulling the calipers off and greasing the slides? If not I would really be looking in this direction for a permanent fix. As for a temporary fix I'd be leaning towards getting a new cap for the hub, filling up the hub with oil then locking out the brakes for the trip home. I'd also pull at least that caliper and push the pads back as far as possible to make sure they're not dragging. Look for signs of heat on the rotors or the hub.

On my 2003 trailer I had to replace the actuator and the calipers during the first month of ownership. I bought the boat/trailer used and the first owner told me he had all kinds of trouble with the hubs and recommended switching to grease. After changing out the calipers I never had a bit of trouble with them or the ones on my next boat. Its always important to fix the source and not the symptom of a problem.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
in my reading about the reliable hubs (i have an '04 double axle trailer) there were some years with plastic caps - which apparently can crack. is your entire outer portion missing or is it just the plastic window?

mine are aluminum caps with plastic windows, for what its worth but may have been replaced somewhere along the way. i had a leaking rear seal on one hub last season which was unfortunate...
Old 07-23-2019, 09:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Thanks for all the suggestions. bturner, I never thought about the caliper hanging up causing heat. I changed the oil out a few years ago, but never addressed the calipers. Pacific trailers told me that the don't recommend taking the bearing end caps in and out multiple times since they are a pressed fit. I am leaning towards trying to get one shipped out. I did not lose the plastic cap, the whole bearing cap came off. they are the original reliable caps.

One final question. I was able to buy some grease bearing buddies today at Napa. Is there any harm with installing the bearing buddy, greasing, getting myself home and switching back to oil? I assume that I would have to pull the rotor, clean the grease out and then re-fill with oil?

Again, thanks for the help!
Old 07-23-2019, 10:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by john jones View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. bturner, I never thought about the caliper hanging up causing heat. I changed the oil out a few years ago, but never addressed the calipers. Pacific trailers told me that the don't recommend taking the bearing end caps in and out multiple times since they are a pressed fit. I am leaning towards trying to get one shipped out. I did not lose the plastic cap, the whole bearing cap came off. they are the original reliable caps.

One final question. I was able to buy some grease bearing buddies today at Napa. Is there any harm with installing the bearing buddy, greasing, getting myself home and switching back to oil? I assume that I would have to pull the rotor, clean the grease out and then re-fill with oil?

Again, thanks for the help!
If you can press the bearing buddy cap on thatís great. But you will have to pull the hub first and pack those bearings. The hub has no exit port for the grease so if you just try to pump grease in, it will just pressurize and push the cap off. If you pull the hub and pack the bearings, you can ride forever with the bearing buddy cap as long as it seals.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft XStar
I wouldn't use the bearing buddies unless you have to. They may damage the threads in your hubs.

I cross-referenced the reliable caps over to ez-loader. Same cap, less than half the price and readily available. You might be able to find others that fit if you can find a local trailer shop....maybe vault, vortex....

And a handful of years ago I went through a rash of them coming off. Turns out you have to tighten them way tighter than I would expect....and use rtv to keep them from loosening.