Speedometer showing 1.5 mph for every actual 1 mph.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • masterdaft
    TT Newbie
    • Jun 2019

Speedometer showing 1.5 mph for every actual 1 mph.

2005 Mastercraft X-30. It's always been this way. Just figured out the actual speed measurements today using a cycling app to record actual speed. So when the speedometer says 33 mph, it's actually 22 mpg. When it shows 16 mph it's actuall 11 mph, etc. etc. It doesn't change it's locked into this 1.5 to 1 mph measurement. Any idea of what the issue is?
  • trunderw
    MC Fanatic
    • Apr 2007

Not sure if this helps you but if you have the vdig, under settings there's a speedometer calibration setting.
    boats rock, but don't rock the boat

Comment

• robadele
      MC Fanatic
      • May 2020

What type of speedometer input does your boat have? Pitot pressure gauge, cogged wheel with electronic pick-up, other?

Comment

• ttu
        MC Addict
        • Jun 2005

he doesn't have vdig. there is a little toggle, can't remember from the house it it is on the left or right hand side that you can make adjustments per gps.

Comment

• bturner2
          MC Addict
          • Mar 2008

Unless he upgraded to StarGazer in that year it was a paddle wheel. If this is PP then there's a calibration he can do to set it correctly. There should also be a separate one for the speedo.

Comment

• Tom_S
            TT Enthusiast
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by masterdaft View Post
            2005 Mastercraft X-30. It's always been this way. Just figured out the actual speed measurements today using a cycling app to record actual speed. So when the speedometer says 33 mph, it's actually 22 mpg. When it shows 16 mph it's actuall 11 mph, etc. etc. It doesn't change it's locked into this 1.5 to 1 mph measurement. Any idea of what the issue is?
            Following is mine is a bit off as well. From my understanding though we both have the paddle wheel, perfect pass, without stargazer and I also have a toggle switch on the left hand side of my steering wheel labeled speedometer but I've never messed with that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

• toddvdh
              TT Regular
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Tom_S View Post
              Following is mine is a bit off as well. From my understanding though we both have the paddle wheel, perfect pass, without stargazer and I also have a toggle switch on the left hand side of my steering wheel labeled speedometer but I've never messed with that.

All you do is push it, and it changes it + or - a little from the current reading. It should be pretty easy to adjust as you are moving, using a gps speed app to find true speed. I did it on mine and it was simple.

I will say that I upgraded to stargazer a couple years ago, and it is a fantastic upgrade that is worth the cost.

Comment

• Tom_S
                TT Enthusiast
                • Aug 2016

Originally posted by toddvdh View Post
                All you do is push it, and it changes it + or - a little from the current reading. It should be pretty easy to adjust as you are moving, using a gps speed app to find true speed. I did it on mine and it was simple.

I will say that I upgraded to stargazer a couple years ago, and it is a fantastic upgrade that is worth the cost.
                Interesting, I'll have to give it an actual test next time I'm out on the water. Speaking of upgrading, I was just looking at the naughty logic upgrade for my paddle wheel. Do you notice the loss of surging (if heavily weighted for surfing) after you upgraded?

Comment

• bturner2
                  MC Addict
                  • Mar 2008

I did the StarGazer upgrade to my last boat and it was a great upgrade, I'd highly recommend it. I just did the Nautic Logic upgrade to my current boat and it works very well. That said I didn't have PP in this boat or I would have gone that route.

Comment

• toddvdh
                    TT Regular
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Tom_S View Post
                    Interesting, I'll have to give it an actual test next time I'm out on the water. Speaking of upgrading, I was just looking at the naughty logic upgrade for my paddle wheel. Do you notice the loss of surging (if heavily weighted for surfing) after you upgraded?

The stargazer is fully gps based off a puck on my dash. There is no surging at all, and it works up by my cabin where cell phones don't even work on the water.

To be fair, I didn't have perfect pass in my boat before I installed Stargazer, but I would notice the speedo jumping every once in a while when trying to hold a speed manually. So I'm not sure if naughty logic would help.

Comment

• 88 PS190
                      MC Addict
                      • Aug 2005

The benefit of adding a nautilogic would be that both factory gauges would be receiving the GPS speed not paddlewheel speed - surging from paddlewheels is common if you are in choppy water as they can cavitate.

Comment

• masterdaft
                        TT Newbie
                        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by toddvdh View Post
                        This worked, thank you. I adjusted the speed based on the GPS speed app. However it now has caused a new problem. It has thrown the cruise control off which is why someone changed it to the wrong speed I'm guessing. So now the speedometer is correct, but the cruise control speed won't lock when I press on. It just does nothing. I can lock it in manual mode to RPM, but the RPMs or off by a thousand, so the digital display will say 2800 when the gauge says 1800.

I tried going back and adjusting the speed to be wrong again thinking that would readjust the RPM to be correct so the cruise control would work again. But it did not. Any ideas? Assuming some sensor is off in the cruise control system.

Comment

• 88 PS190
                          MC Addict
                          • Aug 2005

The older versions of PP have a speedo adjustment setting, try in wakeboard or whatever mode pressing menu till it says speedo adjust then arrow key up or down to bring them together ie if the speedo is saying 18 and the boat is going 12 you have to arrow up till the boat is going 18 and saying 18

Comment

• skydyvyr
                            MC Fanatic
                            • Jun 2017

I think, based on his comments, he has the Mastercraft cruise system, not PerfectPass.

It is odd to me that your cruise system would be affected by the speedo adjustment switches. If you re-adjust back to the previous 1.5 mph indicated for every 1 mph actual, does the cruise system start working again?

—Sky
                            ------------------------------------------------
                            2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
                            2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

• 88 PS190
                              MC Addict
                              • Aug 2005

Did MC cruise have a digital display?

Comment

Working...
                              X