• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LiquidAsset
    TT Newbie
    • Sep 2020

Bringing an 89 Prostar back to life

Hi everyone,
    Earlier this year I picked up an old Mastercraft as a project. It had been sitting for years and I knew it would need a bunch of work. It was complete and had run a couple years ago when a friend of mine started to restore it.

I am new to ski boats so I figured it would be a good learning project.

This forum has turned out to be very helpful along the way.

First thing was a pressure wash, to remove the upholstery, and pull out the old carpet.

Josh
    Attached Files
  • LiquidAsset
    TT Newbie
    • Sep 2020

Looking it over I didn’t see any significant damage. The previous owner had replaced a few parts and made it run but wasn’t able to finish the project.

The gas had gone bad in the tank so I decided to go through the boat before trying to make it run again.

I looked at the trailer and could tell it didn’t fit the boat and obviously wasn’t the original.

Comment

• mikeg205
      MC Master Poster
      • Aug 2011

Definitely not an MC trailer, but hull does not look damaged.

She looks solid... looking forward to progress pics

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

• LiquidAsset
        TT Newbie
        • Sep 2020

I started making a checklist. It looked like the boat was going to need some common parts from age and weather and maybe some things beyond. I have a clean Chevy square body truck that I thought would match the vintage of the boat so the paint color needed to change.

I am a bit of a jack of all trades and am a metal fabricator/machinist for a living so the obvious was easy to plan.

Electrical - wiring, dash switches, bow and stern light, add dual battery and switch, gauges
        Engine - spark plugs, coil, (Mallory electronic distributor was already installed)
        Free up engine mounts for alignment
        Replace worn cutlass bearings

Fuel- Rebuild carb and replace fuel system components.
        Hull- clean carpet glue off, remove windshield, cut and buff gel coat, and repaint the hull stripe blue instead of red. The removable fiberglass floor panel behind the engine was a little soft and was going to need replaced

Upholstery- replace with new
        Steering- steering cable had drag and needed replaced
        Swim platform- sand and oil
        Trailer - improve existing, try to find a used one, new one, or build one

Comment

• LiquidAsset
          TT Newbie
          • Sep 2020

The boat was stripped of its windshield and hull accessories for some cosmetic clean up, buff and paint. The hull seemed to be holding up fairly well for 30 years old. The gel coat got a cut and buff and the red stripe was painted with a dark metallic blue. I used epoxy primer over a rough sanded gelcoat, followed by some base clear I already had left over. It will not be as tough as gelcoat but will probably do fine for me.

Some diamond plate vinyl letters seemed to look good.
          Attached Files

Comment

• LiquidAsset
            TT Newbie
            • Sep 2020

The steering was replaced with a Uflex. I changed the cutlass bearings and found the prop shaft had some wear at the bearings and seal and the coupler was rusted up oddly. The prop shaft was also replaced. I found the rudder shaft had o rings that were also replaced.

Looking at the trailer it wasn’t worth trying to make it right. The crossmembers were straight, and it wasn’t long enough for a prop guard. I tried looking for some kind of a used trailer and couldn’t find one locally. I decided to fabricate one custom out of aluminum as they are pretty clean to bolt together and will be adjustable if I need it for a different ski boat. I ordered some boat trailer I beams and formed them in a makeshift press with some blocks.
            Attached Files

Comment

• LiquidAsset
              TT Newbie
              • Sep 2020

After a few weekends of work the trailer turned out. Mostly aluminum construction with all aluminum fenders.
              I used some D rubber with a notch cut in it for the bow stop.
              Attached Files

Comment

• LiquidAsset
                TT Newbie
                • Sep 2020

I was making good progress and moved onto the electrical and gauge panel. I thought the dash was made with a metal backer and was surprised. The infernal thing is plastic and was cracked in a few spots and the screw holes were broken out. It was in bad enough shape I wasn’t going to put new gauges in it so I looked for a new one. I ultimately couldn’t find one and it looks like everyone has to repair their own.
                It seemed the dash on these boats was arguably the worst made part on the boat.
                I scratched my head a couple weeks and decided to make a new one, but the shape of it is odd to duplicate.

I ordered some Faria gauges and a combination 4 in 1 gauge to try to change the layout. I also ordered a common switch and breaker panel instead of the original ones that everyone has to repair.

After punching holes in the panel it was formed and welded to shape. Made out of 1/8” aluminum and coated with textured paint.

The dash now has the switch panel, auto/manual bilge switch, tach, 1 mph, depth finder, 4 in 1 engine, radio remote by ignition switch, and horn. The hour meter was relocated further under the dash with where radio receiver ended up to keep it out of the weather.
                Attached Files

Comment

• JohnE
                  Super Moderator
                  • Jan 2006

Dash looks good. One heck of a solution.
                  Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

• BacNBlak
                    TT Enthusiast
                    • Sep 2018

Good grief. Quite the introduction!

Haha, welcome and AMAZING work! Very impressive!

I had similar thoughts on my dash down the road. I don’t have the need (or really want) for two speedos and thought some sort of redesign would be in order. Still on my list, just waaaayyy down it.

Comment

• waterlogged882
                      MC Master Poster
                      • Dec 2004

Super nice work. I envy the fabrication skills.

I want a dash like that for my 93.

Good job indeed.

What did you end up doing with for the engine?

93 190
                      (safe click)
                      John 14:6
                      (safe click)

Comment

• JohnnyB
                        MC Maniac
                        • Oct 2004

Love the letters...pretty unique

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                        Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

• lakedrum03
                          MC Devotee
                          • Jul 2017

Dash and trailer are gorgeous. Def a great resto!

Comment

• jtryon
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Nov 2013

wow...dude just made himself a trailer. amazing work.

Comment

• Ironhorse
                              MC Devotee
                              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by jtryon View Post
                              wow...dude just made himself a trailer. amazing work.
                              And Dash! This is a great thread and you have amazing fab skills!

Comment

Working...
                              X