• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjrowbot
    MC Fanatic
    • Sep 2017

Can I drill through a boat lift cradle?

I made boat lift guides out of some items laying around the garage. Galvanized fence post, treated 2x4x10's, and trailer carpet. Now the issue is connecting it to the lift cradle. I want drill holes through the poles and through the cradle. Is this possible? Is there a reaction between the metals that could corrode?
  • Wheelin98TJ
    MC Devotee
    • Jul 2015

I'm not sure about your question, but my lift guides are clamped to the lift cradle.

With yours being round, you could use a u bolt and a plate on the other side.

Are you sure you want carpeted bunks? My lift has these now and I want them off. They leave marks on the hull and they peel stickers.

I want to swap to poles with PVC over them.

Comment

• slalomjunkie
      MC Maniac
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
      I'm not sure about your question, but my lift guides are clamped to the lift cradle.
      ^This...
      The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• MIskiboat
        MC Devotee
        • Jul 2004

+1 for vertical guideposts side guides.
        Side guides also don’t allow for proper MCOCD wipe down and detail spray on the sides of the boat...

Comment

• 88 PS190
          MC Addict
          • Aug 2005

How big of a hole and where it is matters - a small hole in the middle - not a big deal - a large hole near the bottom of the cradle - not a good idea.

U bolts is the correct answer in regards to corrosion - the aluminum may get some surface corrosion and galvanized hardware should be used > stainless as the stainless may gall.

Comment

• tjrowbot
            MC Fanatic
            • Sep 2017

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned I have a very old shore station from the 90's Its a classic!

I was struggling to find a U bolt that was long enough to reach across the I beam. I never thought of the PITA it will be to wipe down the sides. Well you just made my free project get a little more interesting.

Comment

• Maristar210
              MC Master Poster
              • Apr 2005

If the place you are going to drill into is rectangular I think you'd be fine. If you were to drill into a round surface you would compromise the strength of the lift and it will fold like an Antifa in tear gas.

Comment

• curver900
                MC Maniac
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
                How big of a hole and where it is matters - a small hole in the middle - not a big deal - a large hole near the bottom of the cradle - not a good idea.

U bolts is the correct answer in regards to corrosion - the aluminum may get some surface corrosion and galvanized hardware should be used > stainless as the stainless may gall.
                use brass nuts then you are in great shape...

Comment

• MIskiboat
                  MC Devotee
                  • Jul 2004

So the old shorestation with the I beam front and back cradle pieces vs the newer v shaped ones? That is old.

I beams are generally ok to drill in middle (aka web). Structurally you wouldn’t want to drill at the ends for a certain amount but middle is ok. You obviously want the ends. Do not drill top or bottom (flanges), that is the strength. The middle / web is really a spacer....

You will be drilling small holes so likely ok.

I’d still rethink and bolt on pipes of some sort vs side bunks.

Comment

• tjrowbot
                    MC Fanatic
                    • Sep 2017

Yes, she is old, but does exactly what I need!

Agreed on looking for other options than trailer carpet. It was just looking me in the face and the carpet on the trailer is still in excellent shape. Appreciate the help all.

Comment

Working...
                    X