Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 11:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
Am I asking too much?

In the past 12mos my MC shopping experience has left much to be desired. Last year at this time I asked my current dealer for a test drive of the new 2019 boats...crickets! I went on line to “build my boat” - an experience that tests patience when it actually works - and sent the build off - crickets again.
Stopped by this week at dealer, test drove new X24 - loved it! Went on line to “build my boat”, site isn’t working and can’t option my boat properly. Called MC to ask for help and call back - crickets...again.
Seems to me that for >$150k or my current boat + close to what I spent new for my current boat this experience should be at least as good as what I get when I buy a suit? They want Ferrari prices for Ford customer experience, for an item that depreciates faster than a teenage orgasm.
Sorry for the rant!
Old 08-17-2019, 11:21 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 X23, 6000GDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHPRO View Post
In the past 12mos my MC shopping experience has left much to be desired. Last year at this time I asked my current dealer for a test drive of the new 2019 boats...crickets! I went on line to “build my boat” - an experience that tests patience when it actually works - and sent the build off - crickets again.

Stopped by this week at dealer, test drove new X24 - loved it! Went on line to “build my boat”, site isn’t working and can’t option my boat properly. Called MC to ask for help and call back - crickets...again.

Seems to me that for >$150k or my current boat + close to what I spent new for my current boat this experience should be at least as good as what I get when I buy a suit? They want Ferrari prices for Ford customer experience, for an item that depreciates faster than a teenage orgasm.

Sorry for the rant!

No, don’t think you are asking too much and agree with you. Quality of the boat and service levels don’t always align. This is an industry problem though, but would like to see MC take the lead to change the culture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2019, 11:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
Whenever you buy a boat, it is the belief of many on this forum that the dealer which serves your area is equally as important (if not more so) than the actual brand of the boat you invest in to begin with. Mastercraft has never been very good with their website and their marketing is quite horrible compared to the comprehensive product walkthroughs that companies like Nautique have on their website. I mean, I would much rather have professional product walkthroughs that actually show me features and capabilities instead of silly videos with professionals or kids jumping off of the platform... But I digress.

Once you purchase the boat, or even while you are shopping, being able to build a good relationship with a responsible dealer is critical. If your dealer is not up to par with your expectations, then I would suggest you bring this to their attention to get their response. If that does not resolve any of the issues, then I would suggest you look for a dealer in a different region or consider alternative boat brands. I know of many people in my region that purchase from Mastercraft because our dealer is very strong here. I also have a few friends with another brand, and they have chosen to buy out-of-state because they don't want to do business with the local dealer.

Have a frank discussion with your dealer to try to achieve the level of service you desire, but if that does not resolve the issue then I would suggest you look elsewhere; because owning one of these boats without a reputable dealer can be an absolute nightmare. Best of luck.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 X23, 6000GDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
Whenever you buy a boat, it is the belief of many on this forum that the dealer which serves your area is equally as important (if not more so) than the actual brand of the boat you invest in to begin with. Mastercraft has never been very good with their website and their marketing is quite horrible compared to the comprehensive product walkthroughs that companies like Nautique have on their website. I mean, I would much rather have professional product walkthroughs that actually show me features and capabilities instead of silly videos with professionals or kids jumping off of the platform... But I digress.

Once you purchase the boat, or even while you are shopping, being able to build a good relationship with a responsible dealer is critical. If your dealer is not up to par with your expectations, then I would suggest you bring this to their attention to get their response. If that does not resolve any of the issues, then I would suggest you look for a dealer in a different region or consider alternative boat brands. I know of many people in my region that purchase from Mastercraft because our dealer is very strong here. I also have a few friends with another brand, and they have chosen to buy out-of-state because they don't want to do business with the local dealer.

Have a frank discussion with your dealer to try to achieve the level of service you desire, but if that does not resolve the issue then I would suggest you look elsewhere; because owning one of these boats without a reputable dealer can be an absolute nightmare. Best of luck.

Exactly... and why MC should set standards.. hell, I get a survey from Cadillac when I get my oil changed. If Mc started doing that with their dealer network, it might be an eye opener, and a good reason to pull franchise agreements

Old 08-17-2019, 01:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft XStar
I agree with FoggyNogginz. If your dealer can't get their act together, you need to find a different dealer, or a different brand. Our MC dealer in NTX is exceptional. Working with them is a pleasure. Now I wish I could find a ford dealer that I could say the same about.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Quote:
Originally Posted by btriantos View Post
Exactly... and why MC should set standards.. hell, I get a survey from Cadillac when I get my oil changed. If Mc started doing that with their dealer network, it might be an eye opener, and a good reason to pull franchise agreements

This is a great idea....
Old 08-17-2019, 01:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Quote:
Sorry for the rant!

They’re probably too busy selling pontoons😂
Old 08-17-2019, 02:24 PM
MC Fanatic

So...dealer has actually been really good. Service has been excellent and they store my boat during winter as well. Sales standards definitely don’t hold up to what I expect of my own personal sales practices.
My gripe here is with MC. They set the standards that dealers need to operate under, and that starts at the manufacturer. Once a potential buyer has gone to the trouble of stopping by a dealer, then filling out a build sheet, it’s a crime to give that buyer ANY kind of reason to question if he should continue the process with the vendor. At these prices and depreciation/inflation ratios, they better Have a team falling all over any buyer who pokes their head up! Maybe they missed the market’s reaction to recession threats this week? $150k boats might encounter some sales declines if that becomes a reality?
Old 08-17-2019, 02:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
They’re probably too busy selling pontoons😂
Renting!
Old 08-17-2019, 11:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 x-15, for sale:1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Sorry for the rant!
This is very disappointing to hear. I hope when I'm in your tax bracket (if ever) I will have a dealer that will take my money and treat me right
2016 Ford Flex
3 kids, a wife, and a boat dog
1 kid in college