• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paintpollz
    MC Devotee
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
    And here we are 2 years and 3 months later, and no new videos.

I posted a new video like 4 weeks ago

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
    Doesn't count if you don't get one ball either.
    good point.

You pull out when the boat hits the 55's get wide of 2,4,6 and as the boat is approaching the gates turn in and go, just be early for one and ignore the gates.
    10-4

I will tell you that there are more tournaments that will forgive you the gates than will forgive you missing 1 ball.
    yaaaaa I don't do those things called tournaments.
    Kevin

Comment

• 88 PS190
      MC Addict
      • Aug 2005

You should they are way more friendly than they used to be.

The new rule "In a Class C or below tournament a skier who misses their entry gate on their
      first pass, but goes on to complete the remainder of the pass, may continue
      to the next pass or accept a score of zero. If the skier completes the next
      sequential pass (or opt-up pass), then he shall receive credit for both passes
      and be allowed to continue. However, if the second pass is not fully complete,
      then the score shall be zero
      ."

The other thing, Zero based scoring https://www.usawaterski.org/pages/di...CheatSheet.htm

No need to go 36 mph to ski a tournament, run 15' off 30mph and cut rope. I'll tell you 28 off at lower speeds is super fun, you'll improve faster than trying to have a good clean 1 ball at 36 mph 15 off!

Comment

• mikeg205
        MC Master Poster
        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by paintpollz View Post
        I've got the 1,2,4,5,6 30/15 pass pretty much down at this point.

The starting gates and 1 ball are absolutely killing me. I think this has been the #1 issue I've had from the start. I would say out of the last 150 passes I've maybe had 1 or 2 good 1 balls. It's death.
        Always better to have 2 [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
        sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

• slalomjunkie
          MC Maniac
          • Apr 2015

I posted a new video like 4 weeks ago

yaaaaa I don't do those things called tournaments.
          I'll have to check for the link, I must have missed it..

With regards to the gates, I'm just saying that unless it's a class L or class R tournament, there's not going to be a camera on shore to check them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
          The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• X7Dave
            TT Enthusiast
            • May 2015

Yeah - this is a really good video...

Comment

• paintpollz
              MC Devotee
              • Oct 2014

Yesterday I had a lot of great starting gates and 1 balls, so I was getting to 2 ball in plenty of time. It was a big improvement. However, my 2 ball is still trash. Going to 2, I'm plenty early and getting on that inside edge with no slack, BUT my a$$ is out and hips and back even before I go around the ball, so it's a bad turn before/during/after the ball and I get pulled narrow. It's like I'm trying to make an alpine ski turn around the ball, it's pre-wired in to my brain.

When you get on your inside edge to ski around the ball, especially on an offside turn, how are you engaging the ski to make it turn? Like I said previously I think my alpine skiing days are just completely ingrained in my brain, and because the offside is a lot more challenging for me it's like my automatic default.

I've heard people say sit on the ball on your way around....?
              Kevin

Comment

• 88 PS190
                MC Addict
                • Aug 2005

I've heard people say sit on the ball on your way around....?
                Ummmmmmm.

Most of what happens in a turn is the direct result of what happens in the wake crossing and edge change. At the level that you're skiing I would try to stay as tall as possible. Chest up and focus instead on keeping weight on the front foot with your chest as tall as possible through the turn.

I would not recommend you ever think about sitting.

I agree with trying to keep your eyes "downcourse" ie. coming into 2 ball don't start looking for 3 keep looking down the lake at 4 until the ski finishes turning then the top of the windshield through the wakes then the ball line.

Comment

• slalomjunkie
                  MC Maniac
                  • Apr 2015

Re: Sit on the ball? I don’t understand what that means but I will say no anyways… You always have the ski moving and edge to edge

Here’s a quick 2 pull analysis of your last video that I missed.

I know this is your offside cut as you are LFF, but you are still very flat behind the boat on the way through your gates.

After you cross the gates on the way to one, you’re pretty much finished as you’ve stopped pulling completely. The oyther mistake skiers make is double pulling after the wake – bad habit.

Your angle and stacked body position going to 2 ball and prior to wake is great… This is what it needs to look like going to 1 ball. Only advice I would give here (because I cant see clearly) is to be sure the elbows are tucked into your body.

Even behind the boat on the way to 2 ball, not bad… you could probably still have your hips forward a bit more.

And here you are after the crossing to 2 ball, flat again… This is where you need to roll the ski to the inside edge – aka your preturn.
                  The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• paintpollz
                    MC Devotee
                    • Oct 2014

Ummmmmmm.

Most of what happens in a turn is the direct result of what happens in the wake crossing and edge change. At the level that you're skiing I would try to stay as tall as possible. Chest up and focus instead on keeping weight on the front foot with your chest as tall as possible through the turn.

I would not recommend you ever think about sitting.

I agree with trying to keep your eyes "downcourse" ie. coming into 2 ball don't start looking for 3 keep looking down the lake at 4 until the ski finishes turning then the top of the windshield through the wakes then the ball line.
                    Got it. Haven't been thinking about "eyes on the windshield" although I did make better turns in the past by thinking about that. Last time was mostly thinking about making a better turn to get early for one. Makes sense that my body position is directly correlated to my position in the previous wakes. I'm sure my onside is almost as putrid as my offside.

Thanks 88
                    Kevin

Comment

• paintpollz
                      MC Devotee
                      • Oct 2014

Re: Sit on the ball? I don’t understand what that means but I will say no anyways… You always have the ski moving and edge to edge

Here’s a quick 2 pull analysis of your last video that I missed.

I know this is your offside cut as you are LFF, but you are still very flat behind the boat on the way through your gates.

After you cross the gates on the way to one, you’re pretty much finished as you’ve stopped pulling completely. The oyther mistake skiers make is double pulling after the wake – bad habit.

Your angle and stacked body position going to 2 ball and prior to wake is great… This is what it needs to look like going to 1 ball. Only advice I would give here (because I cant see clearly) is to be sure the elbows are tucked into your body.

Even behind the boat on the way to 2 ball, not bad… you could probably still have your hips forward a bit more.

And here you are after the crossing to 2 ball, flat again… This is where you need to roll the ski to the inside edge – aka your preturn.
                      Thanks for the breakdown. Regarding crossing to two ball and being flat on the transition, that's me essentially throwing in the towel. At that point I'm wayyyyyy late and I've learned not to kill yourself out there. Just not worth the pain. Slalom is pain.
                      Kevin

Comment

• slalomjunkie
                        MC Maniac
                        • Apr 2015

Thanks for the breakdown. Regarding crossing to two ball and being flat on the transition, that's me essentially throwing in the towel. At that point I'm wayyyyyy late and I've learned not to kill yourself out there. Just not worth the pain. Slalom is pain.
                        Maybe late to 2 but… It’s because of what you are doing (or not doing) going to 1. Your angle and body position onside is pretty darn good headed to center wake (pic 3)… You fix gates and 1 ball, and you’ll be 4+ buoys every time and ready to advance the speed.

Comment

• paintpollz
                          MC Devotee
                          • Oct 2014

Maybe late to 2 but… It’s because of what you are doing (or not doing) going to 1. Your angle and body position onside is pretty darn good headed to center wake (pic 3)… You fix gates and 1 ball, and you’ll be 4+ buoys every time and ready to advance the speed.
                          Correct. However the second part of your statement proved not to be the case yesterday. I was getting to 2 ball in plenty of time, however my form crumbled around 2 and trashed the rest of the pass. It's the offside woes.
                          Kevin

Comment

• slalomjunkie
                            MC Maniac
                            • Apr 2015

See pic 5 - that is why you're crumbling around 2, coming off flat into your offside turn
                            Last edited by slalomjunkie; 10-21-2019, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• 88 PS190
                              MC Addict
                              • Aug 2005

I think you're still just putting too much importance into the turn and in so doing are becoming unable to turn.

Start with this - never lean/rock/sit.
                              There is no portion of the ski course that requires your weight on the tail of the ski.

Once you figure that out you'll have speed, once you have speed the ski will turn. Once your ski turns there will be even more speed. But for now you really just need to have timing and wake crossings.

Comment

• paintpollz
                                MC Devotee
                                • Oct 2014

I think you're still just putting too much importance into the turn and in so doing are becoming unable to turn.

Start with this - never lean/rock/sit.
                                There is no portion of the ski course that requires your weight on the tail of the ski.

Once you figure that out you'll have speed, once you have speed the ski will turn. Once your ski turns there will be even more speed. But for now you really just need to have timing and wake crossings.
                                10-4. Stand tall and eyes on windshield. Thanks
                                Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X