• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2RLAKE
    MC Addict
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
    The new straight wall cartridge laws are great.
    Finally ... OH took way to long for that ... My old Marlin bolt action rifled shotgun sits in the back of the safe now

Comment

• pmkkdx
      MC Maniac
      • May 2009

I took a big doe yesterday morning (MLD runs thru end of Feb.) and will be going out again this coming weekend. We (son and I) still have 3 doe tags and 1 buck tag to go. I won't post the picture as it was a head shot and pretty gory ... live weight 112 lbs which is a big doe for Texas.

Comment

• mastercraftka
        MC Devotee
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by pmkkdx View Post
        I took a big doe yesterday morning (MLD runs thru end of Feb.) and will be going out again this coming weekend. We (son and I) still have 3 doe tags and 1 buck tag to go. I won't post the picture as it was a head shot and pretty gory ... live weight 112 lbs which is a big doe for Texas.
        Ya we are not MLD but can hunt does til end of this month. We are making sausage this weekend kind of our official end of hunting.

After processing 800 plus lbs of meat I don't want to look at it again.

mike
        2017 XT23

Comment

• bcd
          MC Devotee
          • Jul 2011

I never updated my gun season from first weekend in December. I posted this picture before, but I actually had him at 50 yards during gun season. There was a tree blocking his vitals and he bolted when he finally moved. In hindsight, I wish I hugged the tree with my shot, would have at least gotten liver. When I saw the height of his rack, I knew who he was immediately. He is a very nice buck that lived another day. He was pushed to me, so was already on edge.

There's been a lot of atv traffic in my public spot, which is illegal. That afternoon, they pulled in to load up deer. I sent pictures to the dnr, and they ticketed them, so hopefully I've put a stop to it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

• JohnnyB
            MC Maniac
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by bcd View Post
            I never updated my gun season from first weekend in December. I posted this picture before, but I actually had him at 50 yards during gun season. There was a tree blocking his vitals and he bolted when he finally moved. In hindsight, I wish I hugged the tree with my shot, would have at least gotten liver. When I saw the height of his rack, I knew who he was immediately. He is a very nice buck that lived another day. He was pushed to me, so was already on edge.

There's been a lot of atv traffic in my public spot, which is illegal. That afternoon, they pulled in to load up deer. I sent pictures to the dnr, and they ticketed them, so hopefully I've put a stop to it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            Wow...that is a tall rack!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
            Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

• pmkkdx
              MC Maniac
              • May 2009

we went out again this past weekend, I didn't see any mature bucks but we eliminated a few more hogs. On my way to my stand Sat. morning early, I saw something that looked out of place, like a big stump, with my LED lightbar on my Kubota RTV, but I kept going, next thing I know it moved and it was a decent 4.5 year old 8 point that was blinded by the LED and he started running straight towards me, got up to within about 5 yards and made a hard right turn and froze almost beside me as he couldn't tell how tall the cross fence was at that location. He then gingerly stepped over it and crashed into the brush. It all happened so fast I couldn't even get a picture.

my son headed to the river bottom Sat. afternoon and had 5 bucks come in with him sitting in the back of his CanAm defender, he said there was a 5.5 year old 9 point and a 5.5 year old 10 that would go about 140 b/c but he said it would need to be bigger to steal my remaining buck tag. I went to the bottom Sun. morning and saw a few smaller & younger bucks but the fog was horrible with 60 yards being a long shot.

we are set to go this coming weekend also taking the 5 and 4 year old grandsons (and fathers) for some boy's time.

Comment

• mastercraftka
                MC Devotee
                • Jul 2017

we went out again this past weekend, I didn't see any mature bucks but we eliminated a few more hogs. On my way to my stand Sat. morning early, I saw something that looked out of place, like a big stump, with my LED lightbar on my Kubota RTV, but I kept going, next thing I know it moved and it was a decent 4.5 year old 8 point that was blinded by the LED and he started running straight towards me, got up to within about 5 yards and made a hard right turn and froze almost beside me as he couldn't tell how tall the cross fence was at that location. He then gingerly stepped over it and crashed into the brush. It all happened so fast I couldn't even get a picture.

my son headed to the river bottom Sat. afternoon and had 5 bucks come in with him sitting in the back of his CanAm defender, he said there was a 5.5 year old 9 point and a 5.5 year old 10 that would go about 140 b/c but he said it would need to be bigger to steal my remaining buck tag. I went to the bottom Sun. morning and saw a few smaller & younger bucks but the fog was horrible with 60 yards being a long shot.

we are set to go this coming weekend also taking the 5 and 4 year old grandsons (and fathers) for some boy's time.
                Sounds like fun! 4.5yr old 8 prolly needs to go huh?

We just made sausage all weekend about 850lbs. Man I am wore out.
                Attached Files
                2017 XT23

Comment

• pmkkdx
                  MC Maniac
                  • May 2009

yep, definitely qualified as a cull per our management plan, but my guns were in the rack in the back and it was about 5:45 am, about an hour before legal shooting light.

dang, that's a lot of sausage!!! several freezers worth!

Comment

• mastercraftka
                    MC Devotee
                    • Jul 2017

yep, definitely qualified as a cull per our management plan, but my guns were in the rack in the back and it was about 5:45 am, about an hour before legal shooting light.

dang, that's a lot of sausage!!! several freezers worth!
                    I hear ya hopefully he will screw up and come out again.

Ya it was about 4 or 5 families and we didn't even get to the summer sausage we will make about 75 lbs of that too.
                    2017 XT23

Comment

• pmkkdx
                      MC Maniac
                      • May 2009

well, with this latest historical winter blast the past ~7 days, I plan on heading to the woods again tomorrow thru Sunday to fill a few more MLD tags. At least it's supposed to warm up a bit but I am guessing the animals are extremely hungry seeing how everything has had 5-10 inches of snow since Sunday. The last time I was out, I unloaded a couple of bails of alfalfa at a couple of our locations. Will be interesting to see if they tore into it or not. I think we have 1 buck and 4 or 5 doe tags left to fill.

Comment

• mastercraftka
                        MC Devotee
                        • Jul 2017

well, with this latest historical winter blast the past ~7 days, I plan on heading to the woods again tomorrow thru Sunday to fill a few more MLD tags. At least it's supposed to warm up a bit but I am guessing the animals are extremely hungry seeing how everything has had 5-10 inches of snow since Sunday. The last time I was out, I unloaded a couple of bails of alfalfa at a couple of our locations. Will be interesting to see if they tore into it or not. I think we have 1 buck and 4 or 5 doe tags left to fill.
                        My buddy that is an outfitter and has prolly 30k acres leased had a bad die off from the weather. Mostly the exotics in the Sonora area. Lots of trophies that didn't make it through the cold weather. This is all low fence properties. It was really bad.
                        2017 XT23

Comment

• pmkkdx
                          MC Maniac
                          • May 2009

yep, I have heard from several friends and outfitters that lost a bunch of exotics, especially axis and blackbuck. On the Texas Hunting Forum there have been a number of pictures posted of pickup truck and flat bed trailer loaded down with dead animals, mostly exotics. Sad deal.

Comment

• mastercraftka
                            MC Devotee
                            • Jul 2017

Yep here is just some of what he lost. And for those wondering not pen raised these blackbuck are free range low fence.
                            Attached Files
                            2017 XT23

Comment

• mastercraftka
                              MC Devotee
                              • Jul 2017

Something you don't see in South Texas much.
                              Attached Files
                              2017 XT23

Comment

• atthelake
                                MC Fanatic
                                • Feb 2011

Finally got drawn for Moose!

So after 5 years of putting my name in I was finally drawn for moose in my home zone. Missed opening day for a physio appointment but made it out the second day. Tagged out by 7:45 am about 7 miles from my house!! I was just going out to fill my tag with a some size of bull to get some meat and couldn't be happier with the result!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X