Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 08-22-2019, 06:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 X25 6.0
Phase 5 Kong VS Liquid Force El Guapo (5'6")

I am sadly in the market to add yet another board to my quiver/ wall. I need one for the larger riders and beginners who are struggling to get substantial push so they can drop the rope. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Phase 5 Kong and a Liquid Force El Guapo 5'6". Has anyone tried either of these boards?

I currently have;
Ronix Koal Fish
Hyperlight HiFi
Doomswell Neo
Ronix Koal Classic Longboard
Phase 5 Hammerhead
and whatever else is on the wall
Old 08-22-2019, 06:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2019 MasterCraft X24
I’ve tried El Guapo. Easy ride on virtually any wave but no where near the Soulcraft Slider+. All my big friends have zero trouble staying in wave on Slider. Granted I have a decent wave...
Old 08-22-2019, 06:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 X-Star
Ridden both. Once each, so take it with a grain of salt.

I thought the El guapo was more of a longboard style - fun to mess around on, walk back and forth on it, hang your toes over the nose etc. But I had to stand 2/3 of the way up the board to stay in the wave. I would not consider it for newbies or bigger guys, it was just really slow. Way too much rocker. Ocean longboarders love that board.

there are two phase 5 boards, Doctor and the Kong -which are much better. Those are actually boards for a bigger guys who want to wakesurf. Very buoyant, so they are a little more difficult to flip up, and get started on. But once up, they provide plenty of push and stability. I would actually prefer the doctor over the kong if I was looking strictly for a board that a bigger guy could ride on, because I feel it has plenty of push, but also maneuverable and something that could be fun to ride. My buddy is about 240# and rides the Doctor behind his old centurion and is able to drop back and recover and do tricks quite well.

I also recently rode the Ronix Koal Powerfish+....which was probably one of the fastest surf style boards I have ridden. Very flat rocker and tons of volume - just shot your towards the boat. Didn't like anything else about it, ugly as hell, but fast.

Last edited by maniacmikes; 08-22-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 X-Star
The guap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2019, 12:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, NXT22, 2018, 5500 Ilmor, GenII w/710 bags
Soul Craft Voodu 4'8" very maneuverable and can do 3's, love my P5 Kong but no where near the Soul Craft performance with correct fin set up
Old 08-23-2019, 01:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 x-15 5.7
THREADJACK ALERT. Speaking of longboardy type boards. I tried a friend's broadcast just to see if I could walk back and forth and get to the nose. I could and it was kinda fun but the broadcast is a log but I liked the idea of just goofing around and walking. Would something like this be any fun:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6000-6...6%274%22-Board

It is cheap and durable and I could also use it to river surf. Worst case I put it on kijiji and sell it.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 X25 6.0
So I went rogueand was talked into a phase 5 Doctor 57". Love the board but I feel like it has a lot of drag. I am running the four fins, before I begin experimenting has anyone for a good fun setup to turn this into a rocket?