Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-18-2019, 11:17 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
I hate to ask but is the throttle lever pulled out?
Old 06-18-2019, 12:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 210 vrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210 View Post
I hate to ask but is the throttle lever pulled out?
Not sure I know what you mean. We were accelerating up to 10.7 where I had perfect pass set. So I was moving the throttle down to accelerate.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwgredeux View Post
Not sure I know what you mean. We were accelerating up to 10.7 where I had perfect pass set. So I was moving the throttle down to accelerate.
The base of the throttle pulls out towards you so you can rev the motor without it in gear. Or hell they used to anyways...
Old 06-18-2019, 01:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210 View Post
The base of the throttle pulls out towards you so you can rev the motor without it in gear. Or hell they used to anyways...
Ah. So mine has a button in the center of the base of the throttle shaft that has to be pushed in if you wanted to rev the motor out of gear. It was not pushed in and we had been riding/surfing for a while before the incident.

I did shut the boat off and restart after and still had the issue. I did not actually push the button in and off again to double check. It would be embarrassing and a relief if that is the issue.

I went ahead and dropped off at my local shop this AM to get it back as quick as a can so we don't miss too much of the season.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwgredeux View Post
Ah. So mine has a button in the center of the base of the throttle shaft that has to be pushed in if you wanted to rev the motor out of gear. It was not pushed in and we had been riding/surfing for a while before the incident.

I did shut the boat off and restart after and still had the issue. I did not actually push the button in and off again to double check. It would be embarrassing and a relief if that is the issue.

I went ahead and dropped off at my local shop this AM to get it back as quick as a can so we don't miss too much of the season.
I've done it by accident is the only reason I thought of it. Might go there first before they start looking at the linkage & cable.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Have the work through - start at the linkage, if the linkage is good and based on description I'd be thinking about the flex disc.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
check this nut on the trans coupling. Should be tight and the coupling should turn when the prop is turned. May have sheared the key inside coupling. Or the damper plate failed.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2019, 01:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Shop told me they took a quick look at everything, and based on a quick inspection everything looked and moved as expected. No loose or missing bolts, pins etc. So they hope to get it in the shop tomorrow and go through it fully and see what we are dealing with.

Makes me think it is something with the pressure, fluid was full and good.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Talked to the shop. They said the drive plate had failed. Sounds like the guys that said flex disc or damper plate were talking about the same part?

Quoted 250ish for the part but over 1300 for the labor to install, as they have to pull out the transmission and rebalance everything? Ouch.