Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 02-04-2021, 09:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Vride (2000 X5 - SOLD)
New Handle Suggestion

I am going to be buying a new handle here before the ski season. Any suggestions? I have never skied with a curved handle, but interested in the benefits. I am an open water / free skier.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar
I like the Masterline handle that is approx $50. Or comes with rope for like 100-110. Highly recommend rope if you haven’t replaced for a few years, to get some “spongy” back in the line. Easier on the elbows etc.
The Masterline Lasts a few seasons and we do use it....
We use 1” straight.
Had a radar a few handles ago that wore out quickly but that is old data.
Tried a curved one once and didn’t like it, although it also had a crazy weird handle guard which I had a hard time with.
I like the handle guards from MOB.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2019 XT21
Masterline and Intow both make great handles and ropes. I have used both I love both of them. If you order one from Brenda at Intow you can get a arm/head guard sewed right in.

I also have a curved handle from Us gear, its a very nice handle they say it helps if you have sore elbows. If you are interested in it I am selling it.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:32 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
There's not a benefit necessarily to the curved handles. I don't think you'll find any of the top pros running them and there is a reason.

In waterskiing you really want your arms straight. So if you take your hands and pretend you are grasping a radius or contoured handle then straighten out your arms fully what tends to happen?

They want to go to a straight bar right? The problem is most skiers at not a high level actually ski with their arms bent a good bit mimic that and you'll find a contoured bar is probably more comfortable. It is very common for skiers who cannot get their arms straight to develop tennis elbow or similar injuries and to find that a bent bar relieves that stress a bit - but at the price of developmentally being a stall to working on your arms getting out.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr Bulit View Post
Masterline and Intow both make great handles and ropes. I have used both I love both of them. If you order one from Brenda at Intow you can get a arm/head guard sewed right in.

I also have a curved handle from Us gear, its a very nice handle they say it helps if you have sore elbows. If you are interested in it I am selling it.
SB, shoot me a DM with your price. If it is right it may be worth testing it out.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Guys, thanks for the good info. I will probably stick with Masterline, just curious what else is out there currently. Probably should do a new rope too if it makes sense.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:52 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Masterline makes good stuff - but for the $$$ I would personally recommend HO or Radar's offerings. Regardless of brand its time in the sun that kills ropes so if you're good with the price buy American buy Masterline or Brenda but do not try to get 5 seasons out of a mainline.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
SB, shoot me a DM with your price. If it is right it may be worth testing it out.
I sent you a PM
Old 02-04-2021, 11:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Radar Vapor Pro. They make them in straight and radius versions. A few diameters available to best fit your hand/grip size as well