Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-29-2020, 05:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2018 XT23
Thank you! Is there a plug and play system yet to tie in? I figured by now, someone has developed one.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekee View Post
Thank you! Is there a plug and play system yet to tie in? I figured by now, someone has developed one.

Yes, I made adapters so it’s all plug and play. Send me a PM if you're interested in purchasing one.

I can help with Klispch Stereo modifications

Last edited by eecyclone; 05-30-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
[*]Is the root cause of the poor sound quality due to the Klipsh amp(s) and the Klipsch DSP?
I don't think anyone complains about poor sound quality, most complaints are due to lack of volume. The amps are underpowered to deliver required volume levels in an open boat on the water.

Quote:
[*]If I replace the amp(s) with JL Audio VX amp(s), will the sound be significantly better?
Yes, provided they are configured for the proper power levels and tuned correctly.

Quote:
[*]Would I require anything besides the amp upgrade? Will the amp's built-in DSP cancel out the changes made by the Klipsh DSP (sorry, I don't really understand this)?
The VXi amps can't exactly cancel out the Klispch DSP programming, but they can improve it to your taste. The issue is that each boat function (drive, ski, wake, surf, chill) has different DSP programming. You would then need a corresponding DSP program for each mode. In my boat, I tuned my JL Twk88 DSP for 'chill' as when I am stopped I can hear the tuning more closely, and then deal with the tune being slightly "off" when I'm in other modes. Maybe I'll change this in the future but it seems fine for now.

Quote:
[*]Is there any functional/performance difference in between the JL VX and MV series amps besides the MV being designed for marine applications? Which series is the better choice?
Yes, they actually use different DSP chips in them. The VXi's chip is capable of higher fidelity audio. The MVi's chip allows for more DSP controlled pre-outs. The MVi chip also allows greater signal delay as boats are larger than cars.

Quote:
[*]Considering the fact that I need 6 channels plus a sub, would it make sense to use an 8-channel amp and bridge two outputs for the sub, or is it better/necessary to have a separate amp for the sub? I plan to replace the free-air sub with a sealed sub.
I think if you're unhappy with the existing 8 channel/800 watt amp, then you probably won't be happy with a JL 8 channel/800 watt amp. I'd suggest going with two amps, especially if you're adding an aftermarket subwoofer.

Quote:
[*]EECYCLONE, do you still have amp input cables available for sale? If so, please let me know how to buy a set.
Yes, I do. Send me a PM with types (tower, sub, cockpit, etc.) and quantities and I'll help get you fixed up.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:55 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2019 XT22
I completely forgot about the drive modes. I am replacing the stock 5 channel amp with a wetsounds SD6 for cockpit. Hopefully that helps.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2020!!!!!!!!

2019 XT22-Wetsounds galore
2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 06-02-2020, 05:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2019 XT21
Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post
I don't think anyone complains about poor sound quality, most complaints are due to lack of volume. The amps are underpowered to deliver required volume levels in an open boat on the water.

Yes, provided they are configured for the proper power levels and tuned correctly.

The VXi amps can't exactly cancel out the Klispch DSP programming, but they can improve it to your taste. The issue is that each boat function (drive, ski, wake, surf, chill) has different DSP programming. You would then need a corresponding DSP program for each mode. In my boat, I tuned my JL Twk88 DSP for 'chill' as when I am stopped I can hear the tuning more closely, and then deal with the tune being slightly "off" when I'm in other modes. Maybe I'll change this in the future but it seems fine for now.

Yes, they actually use different DSP chips in them. The VXi's chip is capable of higher fidelity audio. The MVi's chip allows for more DSP controlled pre-outs. The MVi chip also allows greater signal delay as boats are larger than cars.

I think if you're unhappy with the existing 8 channel/800 watt amp, then you probably won't be happy with a JL 8 channel/800 watt amp. I'd suggest going with two amps, especially if you're adding an aftermarket subwoofer.

Yes, I do. Send me a PM with types (tower, sub, cockpit, etc.) and quantities and I'll help get you fixed up.
Thanks for all of your input! I'm mostly disappointed with the tower speaker volume, so maybe I'll start by adding an amp for those plus a better sub.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for all of your input! I'm mostly disappointed with the tower speaker volume, so maybe I'll start by adding an amp for those plus a better sub.
Even with only 2 tower speakers, an amp with more power output will have a lot better output.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:20 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 X30 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post
Just received the custom cables I designed in for connecting aftermarket amps to the Klipsch DSP- JL, Wetsounds, Kicker, etc. These will drop the voltage down to less than 4V if youíre using an amp that doesnít have a high voltage input. There is one version for the tower, bow, cockpit, and helm zones. Type 2 is for the subwoofer zone. Send me a PM if interested.

eecyclone-

I have the base 18í Klipsch commander head unit, no DPS and there is a ď6-pin differential out femaleĒ on it; would I be able to use your type 1 cable for input connection to SDX6 amp? Iím using a LOC right now but the BT stopped working on the commander so my dealer is going to replace it. I donít want them claiming itís modified and somehow screw me on the replacement so a more factory looking connection might help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2020, 09:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2019 XT-23
eecyclone, I just tried to PM you to order the adapter cables, your inbox is full. Could you message me the info, I need to ripout these terrible Klipsch amps...
Old 06-16-2020, 08:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by syst3mfck View Post
eecyclone-

I have the base 18í Klipsch commander head unit, no DPS and there is a ď6-pin differential out femaleĒ on it; would I be able to use your type 1 cable for input connection to SDX6 amp? Iím using a LOC right now but the BT stopped working on the commander so my dealer is going to replace it. I donít want them claiming itís modified and somehow screw me on the replacement so a more factory looking connection might help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure but I would think you could. Send me a PM and I can help you figure something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrown View Post
eecyclone, I just tried to PM you to order the adapter cables, your inbox is full. Could you message me the info, I need to ripout these terrible Klipsch amps...
Sorry about that. I went on vacation and my PM box filled up. I sent you a PM.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:52 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
I'm not very adept with the audio installs....just bought a leftover 2019 XT21 with the 7 inch screen and advanced klipsch audio with tower speakers. My boat didn't have the transom remote. Are these prewired for them? Can I get the remote aftermarket? Any idea how hard the install would be?

Tags
2018, all take and no give, ban hydrotunes, hydrotunes, i share my wife, kmc8pa