Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-16-2019, 12:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205 5.7L
The fun never ends... Transmission leak

Well, somehow after changing the motor oil last week I noticed a pool of transmission fluid in the bilge today. It didn't leak all winter. I checked the cooling lines and they are not leaking. I felt all around the rear of the transmission and there was no oil there. Looks like it might be coming from near the bell housing that mates to the engine.

I have searched for a step by step thread in here on how to pull the tranny and change the seals but have not come up with anything yet in detail. If anyone has a link, it would be highly appreciated.

It is a 95 prostar 205 with the 5.7 engine. Standard transmission.

I'm freaking out a bit because I'm supposed to pull the boat 1300 miles to Wisconsin in 3 weeks for the summer and am not sure if I can get this done in time. Is this something that someone reasonably mechanically proficient can do by himself? I have no engine lift or anything like that.

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:09 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 NXT20
I'm no boat mechanic, but I would have to guess if you're actually talking about getting to the point of removing the transmission, you're going to need a hoist. Once again, I know very little about these boat engines, but on a car, there would be no fluid in the bell housing. A boat transmission is very different though, there's no clutch in there etc. So not really sure.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrouder View Post
I'm no boat mechanic, but I would have to guess if you're actually talking about getting to the point of removing the transmission, you're going to need a hoist. Once again, I know very little about these boat engines, but on a car, there would be no fluid in the bell housing. A boat transmission is very different though, there's no clutch in there etc. So not really sure.
I'm pretty sure that the transmission can be removed without a hoist. I have seen a few pictures and threads about doing it but there were references to a step-by-step thread on the whole procedure which I cant seem to find.

I've got some paper towels under the transmission right now to see if it continues leaking. The dipstick is still showing pretty much full so I have no idea what is happening.....
Old 05-16-2019, 03:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
You can't check the transmission fluid without warming it up which means driving it around a little then checking with the boat in the water. Checking the transmission fluid without warming it up or being in the water won't give you an accurate reading.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartnich View Post
Well, somehow after changing the motor oil last week I noticed a pool of transmission fluid in the bilge today. It didn't leak all winter. I checked the cooling lines and they are not leaking. I felt all around the rear of the transmission and there was no oil there. Looks like it might be coming from near the bell housing that mates to the engine.

I have searched for a step by step thread in here on how to pull the tranny and change the seals but have not come up with anything yet in detail. If anyone has a link, it would be highly appreciated.

It is a 95 prostar 205 with the 5.7 engine. Standard transmission.

I'm freaking out a bit because I'm supposed to pull the boat 1300 miles to Wisconsin in 3 weeks for the summer and am not sure if I can get this done in time. Is this something that someone reasonably mechanically proficient can do by himself? I have no engine lift or anything like that.

Thanks for any input.
Several things to consider....

If you take it to a shop without their commitment for immediate service, you'll miss your 3-week window...

You can lift the transmission without a hoist or without removing the engine;
  • Remove the transmission brackets (leave installed on the stringer if possible)
  • Disconnect the driveshaft coupling
  • Remove the exhaust hoses (or the risers with hoses attached....my preference and much easier for disassembly / reassembly). You'll need two new riser gaskets. If you snap a bolt, keep going. The riser(s) will come off and you'll have a stub and easier access to remove the bolt. That is not uncommon.
  • Loosen the pinch bolts at the front of the engine
  • Rotate the engine upward on the front engine mounts (bottle jacks, hoist, come-along, chain-fall, etc) enough to get the transmission out. Easy enough. Use anything overhead to connect to with a hoist or chain-fall. Garage truss, tree limb, etc.
  • Bench work
  • Reinstall
  • Align the couplings to +/- 0.003"

Maybe a full day's job at most if you are prepared with a plan and the tools. It's not hard to do, just a bit time consuming but I'd much rather do it myself than a dealer. Your labor is free, you know it gets done correctly, and you control your own destiny for your trip.

You can run your engine on a hose in the driveway if you want to warm the fluid. But face it..it is leaking past the seal (from what you describe)... Fix it and do not merely hope it goes away.

I have several different links to transmission repair, etc. They are here. Some are old but still applicable. I (and the links) also have the manual for the transmission (Borg-Warner Velvet Drive??).

Also look on ebasicpower dot com for tutorial and parts.

You can thank me later...

$0.02

2 Peter 1:38

Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-16-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 PS190 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Several things to consider....

If you take it to a shop without their commitment for immediate service, you'll miss your 3-week window...

You can lift the transmission without a hoist or without removing the engine;
  • Remove the transmission brackets (leave installed on the stringer if possible)
  • Disconnect the driveshaft coupling
  • Remove the exhaust hoses (or the risers with hoses attached....my preference and much easier for disassembly / reassembly). You'll need two new riser gaskets. If you snap a bolt, keep going. The riser(s) will come off and you'll have a stub and easier access to remove the bolt. That is not uncommon.
  • Loosen the pinch bolts at the front of the engine
  • Rotate the engine upward on the front engine mounts (bottle jacks, hoist, come-along, chain-fall, etc) enough to get the transmission out. Easy enough. Use anything overhead to connect to with a hoist or chain-fall. Garage truss, tree limb, etc.
  • Bench work
  • Reinstall
  • Align the couplings to +/- 0.003"

Maybe a full day's job at most if you are prepared with a plan and the tools. It's not hard to do, just a bit time consuming but I'd much rather do it myself than a dealer. Your labor is free, you know it gets done correctly, and you control your own destiny for your trip.

You can run your engine on a hose in the driveway if you want to warm the fluid. But face it..it is leaking past the seal (from what you describe)... Fix it and do not merely hope it goes away.

I have several different links to transmission repair, etc. They are here. Some are old but still applicable. I (and the links) also have the manual for the transmission (Borg-Warner Velvet Drive??).

Also look on ebasicpower dot com for tutorial and parts.

You can thank me later...

$0.02

Dude is the Boat Whisperer...
I trust his advice.
My personal philosophy is that its better to do it right than to do it twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2019, 10:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Waterlogged, you always come through!! I will thank you now as well as when I am done.

So how do I confirm the make of the transmission so that I can get the correct parts? I'm attaching a pic.

Other than the front seal and riser gaskets, are there any other parts that I might need?

Do I need to remove anything other than the cooling hoses and starter assembly?

Thanks again!
Old 05-16-2019, 10:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

tranny pic

tranny
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2019, 01:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Sent the above pic to skidim and they are saying its a Hurth 450D. Can anyone confirm? Called ebasicpower and they were exceedingly unhelpful.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Mastercraft website has manuals for most model years...I would look it up in the year appropriate manual for you model and engine configuration...

Iirc, there should be a nameplate on it also....probably painted over in black so look carefully

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843