Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-23-2019, 03:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 x2 mcx
Missing clear coat on transom sparkle?

Just went to buff out oxidation on transom on my 09 x45, with the meguirs 105, 205, wool pad etc like I had successfully done in past on older boat. It only got whiter, and after inquiring with dealer learned that the “flake”finish is done differently with clear coat and was told clear coat has been sanded off. What options/quick fixes might be available other than repainting/clear coating which I was coated at around $1000? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2019, 05:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
Can't think of any quick cheap fixes unfortunately. The "clear coat" should actually just be clear gel coat that is put in the mold first then the flake is sprayed on next. However the clear gel is famous for yellowing out in the sun if left exposed or uncovered which is likely what happened. Typically this happens on exposed transom or horizontal surfaces like metal flake swim platforms.

To clean up the boat to sell the previous owner probably sanded off the yellowed clear gel exposing the flake which is now exposed and damaged requiring big $$ to fix.

I think you are up a creek without a paddle so to speak but would love to hear if anyone know of a way to cheaply fix your problem as it will only get worse.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '14 X30 6.2L, '96 SkiRay Tournament(sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
Can't think of any quick cheap fixes unfortunately. The "clear coat" should actually just be clear gel coat that is put in the mold first then the flake is sprayed on next. However the clear gel is famous for yellowing out in the sun if left exposed or uncovered which is likely what happened. Typically this happens on exposed transom or horizontal surfaces like metal flake swim platforms.

To clean up the boat to sell the previous owner probably sanded off the yellowed clear gel exposing the flake which is now exposed and damaged requiring big $$ to fix.

I think you are up a creek without a paddle so to speak but would love to hear if anyone know of a way to cheaply fix your problem as it will only get worse.
That’s pretty much exactly right. You may be able to find a shop that can tape it off shoot the clear just on the transom and then blend/buff in at the tape line. There will be a noticeable line wherever you decide to break the clear and blend into the factory gel but it will look much better than no clearcoat at all.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:29 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 x2 mcx
Thanks guys, that’s what I was afraid of. I’m considering doing a partial wrap over transom that would match color scheme (not flake) as a temporary @$200 fix to buy time until I invest the grand to foot right, as have several other high dollar ticket items at the moment. Are the wraps bad about leaving residue when taken off? Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-45 6.0L LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNstevo View Post
Thanks guys, that’s what I was afraid of. I’m considering doing a partial wrap over transom that would match color scheme (not flake) as a temporary @$200 fix to buy time until I invest the grand to foot right, as have several other high dollar ticket items at the moment. Are the wraps bad about leaving residue when taken off? Thanks again.
If you aren't afraid to try a little DIY you can buy this clear coat in a (spray) can that many use when fixing yellowed headlights the proper way (permanent, ultra clear fix that last years)/wheels/bumpers etc. This is truly clear coat in a can so you'd need to wear respiratory protection and mask off your swim deck as well as the surrounding area, but if it didn't work out you could sand it back off. Not sure about blending but thought I'd throw it out there as in idea:

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Chemical-...s%2C158&sr=8-4
Old 05-24-2019, 09:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
If you can get the flake cleaned up, you may be able to have the transom covered in a clear 3M as a temporary fix.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '14 X30 6.2L, '96 SkiRay Tournament(sold)
I use 3m 1080 vinyl. It works great. Never had a residue issue.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar
3m paint protection film. Amazon has it.
I use as transom protector, but may work for what you need too...
Old 05-26-2019, 08:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
Clear coat

Can someone upload pics of what this looks like. I have a similar problem and considered clear coating mine as well. I am willing to bet it would help a lot.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
If you can get the flake cleaned up, you may be able to have the transom covered in a clear 3M as a temporary fix.
That's not going to shine it up.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN