• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CentralWIWake
    TT Newbie
    • Aug 2019

X23 vs RZX3

Hi All,
    New to the forum here, but have been creeping for a while.
    I’m about to pull the trigger on my first towboat and I’ve narrowed it down to a couple of options. I’m looking at a 25hr ‘used’ 2018 X23 and a new 2019 Tige RZX3. Price is virtually identical. Initial MSRP was obviously higher (~25k) on the X23. Pro’s and cons to both, but one of my major areas of concern is resale. I will probably keep the boat for a year or two and sell/trade, as that is kind of my nature.
    I assume, based on some digging/research that Mastercraft typically holds value quite a bit better, but the RZX line seems to do quite well also.
    Also, I’m a wakeboarder who’s looking to get into surfing now that the aches and pains last a little longer these days.....so primary use would be those two sports.
    Being a Mastercraft forum, I’m prepared for the obvious, but I’m trying to establish the best value for my situation. I’m positive both boats would be amazing.
    Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
  • btriantos
    MC Fanatic
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by CentralWIWake View Post
    Hi All,

I’m about to pull the trigger on my first towboat and I’ve narrowed it down to a couple of options. I’m looking at a 25hr ‘used’ 2018 X23 and a new 2019 Tige RZX3. Price is virtually identical. Initial MSRP was obviously higher (~25k) on the X23. Pro’s and cons to both, but one of my major areas of concern is resale. I will probably keep the boat for a year or two and sell/trade, as that is kind of my nature.

I assume, based on some digging/research that Mastercraft typically holds value quite a bit better, but the RZX line seems to do quite well also.

Also, I’m a wakeboarder who’s looking to get into surfing now that the aches and pains last a little longer these days.....so primary use would be those two sports.

Being a Mastercraft forum, I’m prepared for the obvious, but I’m trying to establish the best value for my situation. I’m positive both boats would be amazing.

You won’t regret getting the x23. They will hold value and it’s built better imo than the Tige. I have a guy at my lake looking to upgrade his 21’ Malibu and he has really taken the time to evaluate all 23’ brands and he keeps wanting to go into a partnership with me and my x23. He loves the surf wave, solidness, and overall build quality of the MC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• jgraham37128
      TT Regular
      • Oct 2012

X23 all day....

Comment

• TolCarMan
        MC Fanatic
        • Sep 2018

I’ve been on both (sort of- I went on a RZX2), and the X23 is the winner. Although the Tigè is a solid boat, the surf wave seemed to be very steep and not very configurable unlike the X23. I also don’t love the look of tigès, but that could just be me. I’m sure the X23 resale would be higher as well.

However, The Tigè interior is really nice looking and functional imo. You get a lot for what you pay for, though the Tigè I went out on had a bad amp and a few small electrical problems. Like I said, X23 for the win.
        -Tolman
        '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
        '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

• wilhelmwake
          MC Fanatic
          • Mar 2006

Tige driver's seat would be enough of a turn off for me to choose MC X23 over it and the overall driver ergonomics.
          -=MasterCraft All The Way=-
          sigpic
          2019 MasterCraft X-Star
          2017 MasterCraft X23
          2015 MasterCraft X23
          2007 MasterCraft X45
          2009 Malibu WAKESETTER VLX SS
          2005 MasterCraft X-Star
          2004 Tige 20v
          1995 MasterCraft ProStar 190

Comment

• gwozhog
            MC Devotee
            • Jul 2013

If your buying a used Mastercraft I think the warranty only transfers once. Might have a hard time selling a 100k boat in 2 years with no warranty for the next owner. Tige might have better resale if that is the case.

Comment

• jesam
              MC Fanatic
              • May 2015

I've no experience with either but have researched the X23 enough to scratch it off the list due to its poor wakeboard performance.

Comment

• MC25
                MC Master Poster
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jesam View Post
                I've no experience with either but have researched the X23 enough to scratch it off the list due to its poor wakeboard performance.

heh? the X23 wakeboard wake is awesome. Better than the previous gen Xstar IMO
                Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                For Sale:
                2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• Mastercraftdave
                  MC Addict
                  • Feb 2012

Please explain the poor wakeboard wake on the X23... You have ZERO experience with this boat and yet you say the wake is poor.

I have 350 hours on my X23 and the wakeboard wake is more than enough for me to do various spins and inverts. I have never had anyone come on my boat and say the wakeboard wake wasn't good and I have a lot of friends (one with a G) that I ride with. Is it the size of a G, NO it is not, but the wave has a ton of pop and is super firm.

Obviously the surf wave is very good and highly tunable. We switched to the X23 from an X45 due to wanting to surf more as I get older and its a lot easier on the body. Also the X23 rough water ride will set it apart from the Tige.

My advice would be to test ride boat. The fit and finish on the MC will be night and day difference over the Tige.

I do think the tige wake and wave will be very good for your needs as they are a good package for the money.

Comment

• Mastercraftdave
                    MC Addict
                    • Feb 2012

Here is the only wake picture I have

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4670.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	2398383

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• jesam
                      MC Fanatic
                      • May 2015

You guys have commented enough in the "help my X23 Wakeboard wake" threads here at TT to know what I'm talking about.

Comment

• Mastercraftdave
                        MC Addict
                        • Feb 2012

You guys have commented enough in the "help my X23 Wakeboard wake" threads here at TT to know what I'm talking about.
                        Good way to dodge the answer when you have ZERO first hand experience with a boat other than I read it somewhere on a forum. Get out of here with that trash.

I have had ZERO issues with my wakeboard wake from day one.

Just because an inexperienced boat owner is having trouble with their wave doesn't mean the wake ins't good. if you read the post, anyone could figure out the owner didn't know what he was doing.

Comment

• jesam
                          MC Fanatic
                          • May 2015

Man you guys are touchy. A quick search here shows the X23 is going to be fussy.

Its the same with the Nautique 230, which is also off the list.

I wish a search on both turned up nothing.

Also, its MY list. We prioritize wakeboard. YMMV.
                          Last edited by jesam; 08-19-2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• maniacmikes
                            MC Devotee
                            • May 2014

Hi All,
                            For the record, I actually used to really like Tige - I thought they had one of the best looking interiors, and I liked that they seemed to be partnering with good brands like Wetsounds and Yeti.

Then I got to spend a few hours on one and surf it -It was okay - but not impressed at all for having full "surf" ballast and 10 people in the boat. It was a newer Z3, which was about 4 years ago, when it was their flagship surf boat.

Then, our dealer had a 2018 RZX3 he took in on trade - for the longest time it was parked in the showroom right next to all the other MC's. The salespeople loved to have it there. They would show them the Tige, then show them the MC...and it was a win for the MC every-time. they ended up selling the tige at a huge discount compared to similar MC.

Basically all they had to do was walk through the Tige, shake the surf tabs, shake the seats when they flipped up, bounce a little on the floor and watch the whole thing flex, etc. etc. etc. They would then go do the same on the MC and make it pretty obvious to the potential buyer that the MC was put together much better.

I never did get to surf the RZX3. I am sure the wave is great. All the new boats will throw a wave/wake that is pretty damn good if they are set up right...the question is what does it take to get it there and what your preference is as far as shape and transition etc.

I have no vested interest in what boat you buy, So I can give you some honest feedback. They X23 can be a little sensitive to weight placement to get the ideal wave, but it is easy - it likes weight in the back on the surf side. Once you know that, the wave is very consistent and one of the better waves on the market still. I don't like that the bow rides pretty high when surfing, and the surf RPM's are pretty high for my taste, but a lot of newer boats with the 2:1 transmissions have high RPM while surfing.

the wakeboad wake is super fun, fairly steep for a MC, nice lip - poppy, not as clean at slower speeds like some MC. Again, it is a matter of taste on what you like. The boat is subject to weight shift, much like all newer deeper V "surf" boats...but this should not be an issue for anyone who wakeboards regularly - balancing the boat isn't hard, just one of those things you get used to.

I don't know how the RZX performs, but in my book, if the MC and RZX are about the same price, I know from a resale and quality standpoint it would be the MC hands down. And since you are comparing to the X23, I can honestly say that the wave and wake will not dissapoint - and I would find it hard to believe that any boat is going to throw a substantially better wave than a properly set up X23.
                            The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

• maniacmikes
                              MC Devotee
                              • May 2014

Screen shot from a few years ago X23. No funny angle, or bottom turn pic.... just an iphone shot from the cockpit on a thick, legit waist high wall of water behind the X23.
                              Attached Files
                              The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

Working...
                              X