Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 04:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: X46 that's not going away for any new Tanker
It took me a while to get some pics...

It's always 5pm somewhere, time for a beer!
Old 06-17-2019, 10:48 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X46, 7.4 ltr Ilmore
Can anyone share their installation experience?
Was it pretty straight forward or quite difficult?
How long, on average, does it take?

Appreciate all the help with this.

Slice
Old 06-17-2019, 11:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X30; 2012 X15 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSlice View Post
Can anyone share their installation experience?
Was it pretty straight forward or quite difficult?
How long, on average, does it take?

Appreciate all the help with this.

Slice
I put the three-piece on on this year with the quick release attachment. Attaching the FAE to the exhaust is easy, but lining everything up properly to attach the quick release to the platform brackets was a little more difficult and time consuming for me. I would say the project overall is somewhere between straight forward and difficult. Definitely helps to have a second person. I would say it took me 3-5 hours. As with any job, having the right tools makes it a lot easier. (Some of which I had and some I didn't). A plumb-bob helps get everything lined up correctly. A drill press is useful to drill clean, accurate holes in the metal bar if you are doing the quick release attachment, and something to cut metal with other than a hack saw (e.g., metal cutting blade for angle grinder) is helpful to cut the bar, bolts, and sleeve on the quick release.

The three-piece comes with 2 screws to install to keep the exhaust tube from rotating backward. The installation instructions recommend not installing the screws first to see if the tube rotates through use and, if it does, installing the screws then. I did have rotation on mine, no matter how hard I screwed down the clamps. If I were doing the original install over again, I would go ahead and install the screws because there doesn't seem to be any downside to doing it and it was a bit more of a pain in the a$$ to do it after the boat was on my lift.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Hopefully something soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It took me a while to get some pics...

To clean that up could you put through bolts through where the inner lights mount and connect your mounting bracket/arm that way instead? Run the linkage straight out from the transom instead of having the cross beam?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:00 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckelfin View Post
To clean that up could you put through bolts through where the inner lights mount and connect your mounting bracket/arm that way instead? Run the linkage straight out from the transom instead of having the cross beam?
Yeah there is definitly room for improvement there, I have too much other stuff to work on currently, and the FAE has been flawless so far so it's a running system I won't touch currently...
If I will ever buy a new boat and built a new FAE I will go with thicker through hull bolts and a ring/plate on the backside so I can make a one piece exhaust and skip the linkage/bracket stuff altogether. If I recall correctly someone on here did that with an older XStar.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
Ok, hold the phone! Can't believe nobody is asking Stefan about the Lenco actuators that raise his swim platform. I am assuming you did that to get the swim platform up out of the wave when surfing? If so that is genius. Does it help clean up the wave having the swim platform raised up?

Any photos of the boat on the water with the platform raised?

SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190

Old 06-18-2019, 12:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC X30 2008
My FAE arrives today! Not sure when I will be able to install it though, have to get the boat out of the water and I don't trailer my boat - no idea how as we don't travel, dealer delivers it every year. I will try to take pics once i start though, hopefully next week.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:55 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
Ok, hold the phone! Can't believe nobody is asking Stefan about the Lenco actuators that raise his swim platform. I am assuming you did that to get the swim platform up out of the wave when surfing? If so that is genius. Does it help clean up the wave having the swim platform raised up?

Any photos of the boat on the water with the platform raised?
It actually does two things for us, cleans up the face of the wave, mainly visually but also makes it less washy and if you are experienced with the boat/wave you do notice the difference.
Keep in mind as well it's the X23 platform with the cut-off corners, but that did not do much good for us as it produces a lot of spray in the way of gopros on the rear corner.

Second thing it does for us: It's usually just my wife and me on the boat and we can be perfectly self catered as we drop the rope on the platform and when stopping to pick the rider up the wave passing will flush the rope into the water for the rider to grab, no need for a third person onboard or the driver to get up to throw the rope to the rider.

I'll try to get some pictures/video next weekend.